army or raf regiment gunner?

#1
i was all set 2 join the infantry in the british army and my mate tells me he thinks i should join the raf regiment gunners. up untill then i had never heard of them but after doing a bit of research im split between the two. any comments/opinions would be appreciated especially from ne1 currently serving in the regiment or has done in the past. thanx
 

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
#4
It took a while to understand what you were asking due to some very odd spelling. However, if this is not a Wah (and I suspect that it is...) then why ask on the ARMY Rumour Service? Don't you think you might get a biased answer?

Oh, by the way - Don't use text speak/spelling. Thanks!
 
#5
nickc847 said:
i was all set 2 join the infantry in the british army and my mate tells me he thinks i should join the raf regiment gunners. up untill then i had never heard of them but after doing a bit of research im split between the two. any comments/opinions would be appreciated especially from ne1 currently serving in the regiment or has done in the past. thanx
Tell your mate that he's a chopper, then take a blow torch to his tockley.
 
#6
cheers for the replies and sorry about the spelling i'm new to the site. i also posted the same question on e-goat.co.uk so i can check out all the biased replies from all the raf service men and women to. thanks for the link also
 
#9
Like a lamb to the slaughter....

Please read this thread on the in's and out's of Britains third four special forces group (if you count 49 Para).

Also on E-Goat its full of techies who hate the regiment, you see in the RAF they all hate each other.
 
#10
dan_man said:
Like a lamb to the slaughter....

Please read this thread on the in's and out's of Britains third four special forces group (if you count 49 Para).

Also on E-Goat its full of techies who hate the regiment, you see in the RAF they all hate each other.
And there is no issue with different cap badges in the Britsh Army 8O
 
#11
As a member of 49 para, I think you would be better suited to the rockapes - I'd do it if I had my time again...
 
#12
The RAF regiment is so pants i just dont know where to begin.
Im not gonna talk of better regiments within the army because everyone here has their biases (obviously).
What I would say is the RAF Reg, from my personal experience, is for walts. Their job is to protect airfields by stagging on - thats it. No offensive ops at all.
All soldiers hate "mag on, stag on" because its boring and crap so why join a unit whos sole existance is to stop the bad guys poisioning the aircrews gin and tonics?????

Also from looking at the article from above link it took the raf blokes to go out of the wire a handful of times to be nicknamed "RAF-SAS"....who by.....themselves???...their mums?????
That is so fcuking hattish i just cant believe it!
Apart from the fairytale that 2 Sqdn RAF Reg is the real 2 PARA!
 
#13
Let me tell you a story from when I was a Platoon Commander with the Resident Infantry Company in the Falklands:

1st Airfield Defence Exercise and my platoon HQ was in an RAF Regiment Rapier position so we could use the thermal imaging. The Rapier Compound gets attacked by the enemy. My Platoon Serjeant shouts 'Stand to'. The response from the RAF Regiments finest from their sleeping bags is 'We're on shift tomorrow' and promptly go back to sleep, so it's left to my Platoon Serjeant, Signaller and Mortar Man to repel the attack with the lone RAF Regiment Gate Sentry.

2nd Airfield Defence Exercise. The compound is attacked whilst all the RAF Regiment are still out of their sleeping bags. My Platoon Serjeant leads the defence and the enemy retreat. 'Lets follow the enemy up' my Platoon Serjeant enthusiastically cries! "Sorry" reply the RAF Regiment, "We're not allowed to run at night because of Health and Safety".

Morally of these two genuine stories: If you want to be a shift working girl join the RAF Regiment. If you want to be a soldier join the Army.
 
#15
I think another thing to consider is the postings. My understanding from the RAF Regiment (circa 1998) is that they had a very limited numbe rof postings. It would be worth finding out where you can be expected to be posted and how often. This applies equally to the Army now as the RAF Regiment as Army battalion locations are now fixed and the soldiers trickle post around the battalions within the Regiment.
 
#16
Countdokku,

Are you making an observation......

or defending the rocks??????

Need I point out that any argument to demonstrate that the RAF Regt are a capable or offensive organisation need only look at the "RAF Regt....give me strength" post. 18 pages say they aren't. Lets not do it again tonight, my sides haven't stopped hurting from laughing so much from the past few days and I don't think I could make it through 'til the morning...... :wink:
 
#17
TheLittleMan said:
Countdokku,

Are you making an observation......

or defending the rocks??????

Need I point out that any argument to demonstrate that the RAF Regt are a capable or offensive organisation need only look at the "RAF Regt....give me strength" post. 18 pages say they aren't. Lets not do it again tonight, my sides haven't stopped hurting from laughing so much from the past few days and I don't think I could make it through 'til the morning...... :wink:
Dont worry mucker I have already posted the link at the top of the thread!!
 
#18
I work with Rock Apes and one thing that really gets on my goat is how they always go on about how much better they are compaired to the pongos. Always going on that they are the best , How the SAS asked them for this ect. Drives me bonkers , If in reallity they wanted to do the role in which they do ie: Look after airfields then why not have joined the real ARMY , But no, all they care about is how their hair is looking.
They do get good loking tarts though .
RANT OVER.........
 
#19
Boney2728 said:
I work with Rock Apes and one thing that really gets on my goat is how they always go on about how much better they are compaired to the pongos. Always going on that they are the best , How the SAS asked them for this ect. Drives me bonkers , If in reallity they wanted to do the role in which they do ie: Look after airfields then why not have joined the real ARMY , But no, all they care about is how their hair is looking.
They do get good loking tarts though .
RANT OVER.........
That'll be why 90% of SFSG is 1 PARA then?
 
#20

Latest Threads

Top