So basically, I'm at an impasse. Going to go to uni to study medicine and I want to join HM Armed Forces as an MO via a cadetship. RAF ruled out because of various reasons : less chance for deployment, less postings etc. But aspects of the Army and Navy appeal to me. For the Army it's mainly that there's more opportunities for command and leadership as well as a great variety of exercises abroad, as well as the fact that I would be able to teach CMTs (also in the Navy, but to a lesser extent). But at least to me, it's looks like being an MO in the Navy offers a greater variety of work (in subs, with the commandos, aviation medicine and obviously medicine on a ship) at the expense of LEADERSHIP responsibility (I am aware that MOs on ships are usually the sole medical professional on the whole thing). So I just wanted to ask you guys for an objective view on the whole thing. I'm expecting some bias because this is an Army forum but any input will be greatly appreciated. Probably going to post something similar on Navy Net (for the 3 guys that still use it!).

It doesn’t really matter - they’re now jointly career managed and interchangeable.

D

Deleted 187397

They all fall under HQ DMS gp. Not uncommon now for them to be interchangeable. I’ve known a Royal Navy doctor work out of an Army med centre. Your best bet is to attend one of the professionally qualified officer insight events and speak with the DMS rep.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Read 'A Doctor's War' by Aiden McCarthy. Go RAF. Much more fun.... ;)

The MOs down here are RAF but they change every 3 to 4 months.

Spoke to an RM MO who was aboard a ship, been in 6 years, this was his first time out of the UK and first time on a ship.

Rab_C

LE
The MOs down here are RAF but they change every 3 to 4 months.

Spoke to an RM MO who was aboard a ship, been in 6 years, this was his first time out of the UK and first time on a ship.
FF a booty MO or RN MO with a green lid? I thought that the RN did the medical stuff for the booties.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
FF a booty MO or RN MO with a green lid? I thought that the RN did the medical stuff for the booties.

He seemed to be a booty, but it was just a passing conversation in a hospital corridor about a patient!

The Commando Logistics Regiment used to have a medical Squadron.

QRK2

LE
He seemed to be a booty, but it was just a passing conversation in a hospital corridor about a patient!

The Commando Logistics Regiment used to have a medical Squadron.

They still do, but the medical and dental personnel are RN (occasionally Army have appeared), and fewer of them seem to be Cdo Qualified these days. I can see that those that are would look look a booty on cursory inspection in working dress especially if negative headdress.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
They still do, but the medical and dental personnel are RN (occasionally Army have appeared), and fewer of them seem to be Cdo Qualified these days. I can see that those that are would look look a booty on cursory inspection in working dress especially if negative headdress.

IIRC He had a stabby knife badge on arm.

For some reason he seemed far keener to head off and speak to the young female doctor than hang around chatting to me!

Rab_C

LE
IIRC He had a stabby knife badge on arm.

For some reason he seemed far keener to head off and speak to the young female doctor than hang around chatting to me!
Shame you couldn’t eaves drop, if he was after advice about a little black dress then he truly was a booty if he was trying to talk her into bed he was a matelot.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Shame you couldn’t eaves drop, if he was after advice about a little black dress then he truly was a booty if he was trying to talk her into bed he was a matelot.

It was about exactly how much he would assist in the operation to remove an appendix!

My offer was declined. :)

Faded

Old-Salt
He would definitely have been a Naval doctor who had done All-Arms. You cannot be a doctor as an RM officer.

CLR still has Med Squadron.

Latest Threads