'Army' on standby for no deal Brexit emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdude

War Hero
Go and buy a sheet of ply in any builders merchants
1220 x 2440 x 19 or 8' x 4' by 3/4" in old money
I'm an engineer, and I also regularly buy plasterboard/wood and other things. Yes I agree while everything in the housing trade is measured in mm, you still need to know about imperial measurements - and quite often need to work in imperial if you're working with tools/fittings that require it.

Example: In the offshore industry - and rigs that are owned & built by US companies - you could use for example 3/4" pipe with NPT threads, and lots of the nuts and bolts are in imperial. Look at drill pipe sizes and torque settings measured in lb/ft.

Perhaps in UK/Europe most sizes are in metric - but you still need to know both if you are any sort of engineer.

Even maths uses it - example, what's 1/2 of 3/4? need I say more.
When you buy oil - sold by the Barrel - 42 U.S. gallons.

In speech - you don't generally say 'what's 50% of 10?', or 'do you want 50% of an orange?', any normal person would say 'Do you want half of this orange?'.

Last edited:
I'm an engineer, and I also regularly buy plasterboard/wood and other things. Yes I agree while everything in the housing trade is measured in mm, you still need to know about imperial measurements - and quite often need to work in imperial if you're working with tools/fittings that require it.

Example: In the offshore industry - and rigs that are owned & built by US companies - you could use for example 3/4" pipe with NPT threads, and lots of the nuts and bolts are in imperial. Look at drill pipe sizes and torque settings measured in lb/ft.

Perhaps in UK/Europe most sizes are in metric - but you still need to know both if you are any sort of engineer.

Even maths uses it - example, what's 1/2 of 3/4? need I say more.
When you buy oil - sold by the Barrel - 42 U.S. gallons.

In speech - you don't generally say 'what's 50% of 10?', or 'do you want 50% of an orange?', any normal person would say 'Do you want half of this orange?'.
Im arguing you case.

They simply put mm conversions on imperial sizes.

Studs are still set at 16" centres not 406.4mm

And I can use both and swap between 1st and 3rd angle projections on the fly.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Rubbish, when you ask most people in UK how tall they are they usually say 5'10" or something similar - when was the last time someone said 177.8 cm or something like that in the UK.
I would suggest you learn to read properly before writing any more garbage. You may notice that in post 316 I wrote that the measurements "should" . . . .

I assume that was a little too difficult for you.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
We also mix our temperatures up. Whilst most (BBC especially) outlets tell us it's 30C or something
The television media do not know how to use the temperature scales because when talking of Celsius the word degree is usually used whereas it should be 30C (or 30 Celsius) because Celsius are degrees on the centigrade scale, derived from the Kelvin of the S.I. units developed in the 1950s and agreed in 1960.

2 PARA are apparently going to be tasked with guarding the Cadbury factory and an RLC detachment is being used to protect Pukka Pies production facility.

45x45

LE
Seems some people are going to get very rich if it goes pear shaped. I’m off to Iceland to buy up all the frozen peas. It’s a gamble but who knows what will run out first.

Seems some people are going to get very rich if it goes pear shaped. I’m off to Iceland to buy up all the frozen peas. It’s a gamble but who knows what will run out first.
At least you'll be alright if you sprain your ankle after March next year; once the NHS has collapsed due to . . . Brexit!!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
The good news is. We won’t run out of stupid.

So sit there, sing out and enjoy the rat-burger.
One potato from 3 Para. It must be Christmas in Brexitland.

You're f*cked when the electric goes. Frozen products are the sort of investment that loses you 20% of your portfolio. Ask @Higgs_bosun .

Canned food and shotguns. That's where the sensible money is.

I've got solar panels for power and light, and a nice gene for power. So I'm sorted. I'll just stole up the log burner. Back in a mo.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
You're f*cked when the electric goes. Frozen products are the sort of investment that loses you 20% of your portfolio. Ask @Higgs_bosun .

I've got solar panels for power and light, and a nice gene for power. So I'm sorted. I'll just stole up the log burner. Back in a mo.
And a tin opener

45x45

LE

And a cross bow. Thank god for Trago mills

Yokel

LE

Why will the electric go? Is Brussels going to disestablish electromagnetic induction to prevent the UK from generating electricity?

Whatever next? Perhaps they intend to disestablish gravity, or prevent British citizens from accessing sunlight?

Last edited:
Why will the electric go? Is Brussels going to disestablish electromagnetic induction to prevent the UK from generating electricity?

Whatever next? Perhaps they intend to disestablish gravity, or prevent British citizens from accessing sunlight?
are you Project YEAR's muse?

Yokel

LE
Que?

Am I the only one fed up of the alarmist drivel being drip fed by the diehard supporters of an undemocratic anti liberal institution run by failed politicians?

Que?

Am I the only one fed up of the alarmist drivel being drip fed by the diehard supporters of an undemocratic anti liberal institution run by failed politicians?
If you are under 55 and served, you are classed as a reserved now, so when WW3 breaks out on 1st April you will be less bored

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads