'Army' on standby for no deal Brexit emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Pre 46 were silver.
Stick them next to the cowrie shells and cigarettes, you never know when we might need them.
Those were the ones kept for the Christmas Pud.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Personally I am getting tired of these "in the event of a no deal BREXIT" stories...

No medicine supplies for the NHS - but hang on, what about us having a large pharmaceutical sector?
No fuel supplies - what about the UK refineries?
No food - are we going to cease having ports as well as farms and so on?
No EU workers -surely at least some of them want to stay?

Whatever next? Breathing to cease as the UK will no longer be party to EU air quality directives?

Way ahead of you I'm stockpiling Irish air for export to GB.

There'll be an arrse discount of course
image.jpeg

Personally I am getting tired of these "in the event of a no deal BREXIT" stories...

No medicine supplies for the NHS - but hang on, what about us having a large pharmaceutical sector?
No fuel supplies - what about the UK refineries?
No food - are we going to cease having ports as well as farms and so on?
No EU workers -surely at least some of them want to stay?

Whatever next? Breathing to cease as the UK will no longer be party to EU air quality directives?
Many drugs are patented so we can't just make them...

Don't worry. The fun will start when the Brextremists reintroduce imperial measure and non-decimal currency. Anyone too young for the Old Age Pension won't feel the hunger pangs so much as they grapple with how many Pounds, Shillings and Pence they'll need to pay for a Hundredweight of Edam.
Errr... Ireland had Lsd too.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
arent mile, feet, etc still in use?
It's all mixed now. Distances should be measured in Imperial while lengths and heights are measured in metric.
Still find councils rushing to be pc with distances in metres rather than yards/miles.

mrdude

War Hero
It's all mixed now. Distances should be measured in Imperial while lengths and heights are measured in metric.
Still find councils rushing to be pc with distances in metres rather than yards/miles.
Rubbish, when you ask most people in UK how tall they are they usually say 5'10" or something similar - when was the last time someone said 177.8 cm or something like that in the UK.

Also when you ask someone how much they weigh - it's stone and lbs rather than kg. Lots of people still use imperial, go and work for a US based company and they still use imperial. I work on oil rigs and most of the tools used and pipework, drawings and such like are all in imperial.

Basically you need to know both and know how to convert between them if you do any kind of technical job.

Rubbish, when you ask most people in UK how tall they are they usually say 5'10" or something similar - when was the last time someone said 177.8 cm or something like that in the UK.

Also when you ask someone how much they weigh - it's stone and lbs rather than kg. Lots of people still use imperial, go and work for a US based company and they still use imperial. I work on oil rigs and most of the tools used and pipework, drawings and such like are all in imperial.

Basically you need to know both and know how to convert between them if you do any kind of technical job.

Go and buy a sheet of ply in any builders merchants
1220 x 2440 x 19 or 8' x 4' by 3/4" in old money

We also mix our temperatures up. Whilst most (BBC especially) outlets tell us it's 30C or something, us oldies convert that to F.
And when we talk of how hot it is, we will generally use the F bit and say "it's nearly 100 today) but when we talk of how cold it is, we generally revert to C and say "it's almost zero today".
Daily Mail today is a perfect example. The press have been blasting out 35C and the record of 38C could be broken but today it's "Heat back with a vengeance with 90 degrees and heatwave in Spain to reach 118."
My missus still refuses to believe there's such a thing as C and has no idea of how hot or cold it is and I have to convert to F for her. Still uses C for the cold temperatures, though (1 above freezing etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads