Army officer to secret service

Cav123

Clanker
Hello all,

Does anyone know of/have information on officers going on to work at MI5/MI6 after leaving the army? Is it a common choice? I imagine its been done before considering they're quite similar in terms of stress/excitement and abilities required. I also imagine the traits and skills learnt as an officer are quite desirable to the SIS?

FYI I'm not even at university yet so this is very speculative and probably far fetched, but I like to plan things ahead....very far ahead.

Thanks

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
You have to wait for a tap on the shoulder.

More serious answer, yes, of course it happens. You may need a particular set of skills or just join the SIS from scratch to begin with.

Last edited:
Yes, because Army officers are well known for their ability to blend in seamlessly in any environment...

You seem to have the right stuff. I'm positive you'll be approached at Uni (by at the very least one intelligence agency).

Best keep it on the q.t. old chap, you never know who's "listening", yah?

Get into Sandbags first, young fella-me-lad, then cross your bridges one at a time. You might aim at Int Corps, maybe?

MI5 & MI6 are not exciting jobs. They're very worthwhile, but not exciting. Painstaking, maybe.

Blimey.

He's either really good, or an utter gobby so-and-so...

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Mods, can this be moved so that we can break out the beer and popcorn?

You have to wait for a tap on the shoulder.

More serious answer, yes, of course it happens. You may need a particular set of skills or just join the SIS from scratch to begin with.

'Tap on the shoulder' has gone, I've heard.
Go to their recruitment websites, but beware: initial recruitment is now in the hands of the likes of Crapita - a move not appreciated by all within that particular system.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hello all,

Does anyone know of/have information on officers going on to work at MI5/MI6 after leaving the army? Is it a common choice? I imagine its been done before considering they're quite similar in terms of stress/excitement and abilities required. I also imagine the traits and skills learnt as an officer are quite desirable to the SIS?

FYI I'm not even at university yet so this is very speculative and probably far fetched, but I like to plan things ahead....very far ahead.

Thanks
Both are part of the Crown Service and both advertise on their respective websites, which will direct you to their outsourced recruiters. Entry is as for Civil Service, either conventional or fast track, with all the selection and qualification procedures associated with that.

I imagine some former officers, as well as former soldiers, sailors and airmen, apply, are selected, are trained and take up roles in both Services. I imagine they're probably outnumbered by graduates, non-graduates and people moving from other careers or from elsewhere in the Civil Service.

The work, I gather, is interesting and rewarding, but not as exciting as many would like to think.

Mods, can this be moved so that we can break out the beer and popcorn?
No it can't be. It was (presumably) a serious question asked in a serious forum. If the OP wants it moved to the NAAFI so you can all rip the piss out of him then fine, otherwise, no.

Does anyone know of/have information on officers going on to work at MI5/MI6 after leaving the army? Is it a common choice? I imagine its been done before considering they're quite similar in terms of stress/excitement and abilities required.

Two points:

1. I have a retarded nephew who was approached by MI5/6 and offered sponsorship through Cambridge. He turned it down on "ethical grounds". This family idiot has severe autism. He thinks he is a computer genius because he can play games - IMHO a computer genius cuts machine code.

Christ knows what MI5/6 would have done with him. He is now 30, on the dole, and is committed to the violent overthrow of capitalism.

Whatever they had planned for him it wasn't stressful or exciting.

2. On the other hand, back in 79 I knew an ex military guy out in the Gulf whose hobby was driving along the coast to really remote beaches. I was later told that he was checking for sand bars and sand quality to update beach landing data.

Apparently he wasn't paid for it. He had a 9-5 job as a civie. he had been asked a favour by the old network. He also disappeared several times that year. It was rumoured that he was going by dhow across to Iran. no one ever said why, but the Shah fell in February that year.

So, if you want to get paid for it, its probably going to be a shit desk jockey role with a bunch of autistic morons playing doom.

If you want stress and excitement its probably going to be an unpaid, unrecognised and deniable. It is also probably going to involve providing a varied and energetic sex life to some stinking extremist and his pals whilst they plot the downfall of the world.

I would study accounting.

Mick Harris

Old-Salt
You could practice dead letter drops by leaving coded messages for the town tramps in their bins or skips. Buy some thick rimmed glasses and a tight suit, learn to talk like Michael Caine and go into the Job centre and ask quietly if the special jobs are going on the secret board later, when the fat security guard manhandles you off the premises practice unarmed combat on him and ride your pushbike home super quick to avoid any tails oh and dont tell your mum why you have tramp excrement on your shiny suit.....need to know and all that wink wink.

Mick Harris

Old-Salt
Hello all,

Thanks

Not a lot of people know this but forget Uni and get a job at B&Q MI5 / 6 like recruiting people who have worked at places with very few letters in the name....avoid Ikea thats a Kremlin hot bed...toodle pip

Hello all,

Thanks

If that's what you want to do, why not apply now? Anyone can, it's no longer a case of m'tutor making a pitch over a glass of sherry or a invitation for lunch somewhere in St James's.

Service as a junior officer may be no more an indicator of ability than 3 years as the best performing double glazing salesman in the SE Region.

Hello all,

Thanks
Get good A'levels and a place at a good university. Don't date dodgy women called Natasha or Tonya and don't get into trouble with the cops.

Work on your social skills and try to learn the odd language. If you get the chance to volunteer for charity work overseas give it a go.

Try to avoid getting into too much debt at Uni as well.

However, the main thing is get the A'levels and a good honours degree.

Last edited:
No it can't be. It was (presumably) a serious question asked in a serious forum. If the OP wants it moved to the NAAFI so you can all rip the piss out of him then fine, otherwise, no.

I agree.

It's a reasonable question, no need to take the mickey out of the kid.

Last edited:

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
If you don't fancy one of the home-grown lot go up to Cambridge for an excellent chance of joining the KGB or GRU.

Avoid being caught in flagrante delecto with Jarrod, however, if you are, then a long career as a double agent is on the cards. Well, either that, or being a Kim Philby or Burgess walt.

Latest Threads