Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army Officer Selection Questions

Hi guys, hope everyone is well. Been looking around for awhile and lurked here for a quite a long time and have found a lot of answers to questions I have had with the army but one I haven't found is about how often there are Officer Briefings and the 3/4 day assessment board at Westbury if you pass the briefing. Still don't know what exactly I want to do as an officer, but drawn between Royal Artillery, Int Corps and the Royal Engineers, but that's a different question entirely lol

I am currently in my last year at uni studying computer science and have just discovered the bursary schemes available. I would be eligible for a couple of the bursaries and now I realise it is a complete rush to try and pass this officer selection before I end this last year! To make matters worse with coronavirus, I have a feeling the briefing and main board multiple day assessment won't be as frequent. Started filling in my application, but just wondered if anyone here knows how frequent the briefings occur and the main board assessments occur?

Also I have tried to look for it although haven't found anything but if I do pass selection and am given a bursary, does that mean I have to come straight out and go straight to Sandhurst? I did see online that you are guaranteed a place until you are 30 (?) if you are awarded a bursary, but I wanted to try the reserves for just a year before jumping into a four year contract straight out of uni because the 'locked in' nature of the contract does intimidate me. Chances are I won't see the year out in the reserves if I love it as the fact that I can actually do something to make an impact to other people's lives is quite attracting as well as the opportunities you could do in the army. Any input appreciated!

Hi guys, hope everyone is well. Been looking around for awhile and lurked here for a quite a long time and have found a lot of answers to questions I have had with the army but one I haven't found is about how often there are Officer Briefings and the 3/4 day assessment board at Westbury if you pass the briefing. Still don't know what exactly I want to do as an officer, but drawn between Royal Artillery, Int Corps and the Royal Engineers, but that's a different question entirely lol

I am currently in my last year at uni studying computer science and have just discovered the bursary schemes available. I would be eligible for a couple of the bursaries and now I realise it is a complete rush to try and pass this officer selection before I end this last year! To make matters worse with coronavirus, I have a feeling the briefing and main board multiple day assessment won't be as frequent. Started filling in my application, but just wondered if anyone here knows how frequent the briefings occur and the main board assessments occur?

Also I have tried to look for it although haven't found anything but if I do pass selection and am given a bursary, does that mean I have to come straight out and go straight to Sandhurst? I did see online that you are guaranteed a place until you are 30 (?) if you are awarded a bursary, but I wanted to try the reserves for just a year before jumping into a four year contract straight out of uni because the 'locked in' nature of the contract does intimidate me. Chances are I won't see the year out in the reserves if I love it as the fact that I can actually do something to make an impact to other people's lives is quite attracting as well as the opportunities you could do in the army. Any input appreciated!
If going into 3rd year in computing related topic at uni, join the local OTC/OTR, it is based on your uni calender and then you can transfer to reserves once done. It is also focussed on commissioning and the staff will help with bursary applications.

If computing, look hard at royal signals.

PM me to learn more about the OTR/C

Thanks for the speedy reply @olafthered , I did see something about that but I thought I missed the boat, from what I saw it was only for first year students, but i'll take another look into it, cheers. Originally the signals was what interested me but I saw a lot of people saying that it is mostly redundant now as I think it was the REME have got most of their capabilities and it's shrinking but I could be wrong... I did think that with a CS degree signals or an intelligence type job would be best for me, but I read that in intelligence you could get a shit post and spend all day at a desk lol. If I am honest, the main things I am looking into is just what officer position fits with my skills the most and has a good mixture between paperwork and being outside in the role, and what would deploy the most of those roles.

Sorry I'm late to the party, I just wanted to say as someone in a similar position: forget about the bursary unless you are planning on an additional year at university. To be eligible you need a job offer before 25th December of your final academic year, meaning you must have passed Main Board and be offered the job of 'bursar' before Christmas in your final year. I applied in Feb (foolishly thinking that was far too early) and my PSMA was delayed due to me not intending to start RMAS until September 2021. A mixture of COVID and prioritisation has ensured I wont be putting a 24k deposit on a house any time soon!

And as for briefing/main board they are running every week but at reduced capacity.

Latest Threads