Army Officer Selction Board - Briefing Tips

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by **CuNnInG StUnT **, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Arssers !!

I have recently passed my AOSB briefing and would like to share some information for anyone who is going through the process.
    I am sure there are several Arssers who are now serving or have been through more of the process than I have and their opinion would perhaps outweigh mine, but what i am going to tell you I am positively sure will only be of benefit!!

1) I am sure you have all heard the rather patronising cliché of ' be yourself and just relax ‘. I cannot stress how important this is. Worrying will only bring on panic and shall only be detrimental to your application. Relax and enjoy yourself and you shall no doubt flourish.
    Be yourself. Consider ; 'The Person you are is perhaps the better than the person you are trying to be....'

2) Presentation. Look your best. I purchased a new suite (tailored, looked the bol*ox) had a haircut and buffed up the shoes. Everyone knows how important first impressions are, they will only scrutinise you further if you look a scruffy bastard !! On my briefing all the cat 1's looked the dogs...

3) There will be a common feel of pressure throughout . You will not have enough time to complete all the questions of the MAP tests, you will not have enough time on the leaderless tasks and you will invariably not have enough time to complete the Plan Ex to the best of your ability.
    Accept this fact. They are doing this to see how you will react under pressure..... Here's that word again......Relax !!

4) Make sure you can hit 10.2 on the bleep test. If you cannot you will get no higher than a Cat 3. It shows a lack of preparation and commitment. Show them you want this !! 10.2 is seriously tame !! You need to lead men not be carried by them...

5) Improve your Maths. Get yourself a tutor if needs be. Many found the Maths tough going and it will only get tougher at main board so i'm told...

6) You are not doing a bad as you think you are doing !! I and many others were up all night tearing ourselves apart how we could have done better at this....what we should have said instead of that etc etc....You get the picture.

Despite my pessimism I got a Category One and I can honestly say I wasn't anything special. My Map tests were shite and I stuttered my way through my two minute introduction. (bit of advice here too, don’t rehearse a page long speech and look at the assessor for some kind of approval and lose your F**king line …school boy…)

Get stuck in, smile and enjoy yourself. Regardless of whatever happens you will learn a lot about yourself over a short period of time. I wish you all the best of luck and ensure you that if you take my advice on board you will not go far wrong !!

Hope this was of Help !!
  2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Thank you for your contribution.

Now step back, take a deep breath and think about what you are telling everyone. You've just received a Cat 1 pass at your AOSB briefing - well done - but are you actually qualified to hand out advice on that basis? Have you been debriefed in detail by a member of the board that graded you Cat 1 - or anybody else for that matter? In any case, everything that you have said is pretty much the sort of advice that I think you would get from a random civilian selected on the street if you asked them how to approach the army officer selection board. Take a look at Rule 2 in the rules 'sticky' above.

I'll look forward to your further contributions to Arrse but be realistic: you are right at the start of a very long process which may see you commissioned, or may not. Advice is probably best left to those who have a somewhat more 'in-depth' knowledge of the process that you are embarking on.
  3. Had a feeling someone would reply with a rather childish,negative and deconstructive response !

My opening lines state that there are people out there who's opinions matter more than mine, and that I merely wanted to help people going through the process....

Try being constructive and helping people rather than offering rather negative and lame banter....
  4. If I were going for AOSB I think I'd probably welcome advice -- and plain simple reassurance -- from someone who's just done a briefing in preparation for it. Not instead of advice from those more experienced, but as well as. The OP is understandably fired up from the experience and his enthusiasm shines through, which is a good thing.

I look forward to reading the report he posts just after passing AOSB ;-)
  5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Try ******* off and growing up, then come back here when you have done so, dildo.
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.