Army Officer Scholarship

Discussion in 'Officers' started by MalyJay, Feb 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey, im going to the AOSB at Westbury for an Army Scholarship in April(should be 3rd and 4th).
    Could anyone give me any advice on what to expect, the standerds etc.. Anything would be of use. I have looked into practise questions for the mental apptitude tests and planning exercise but seek any further information that would be of use.
    I'm mainly thinking about advice regarding the interviews, what questions will/might be asked, standards expected, what they look for etc.. Also anything surrounding the command tasks and obstacle course and what is expected and looked for for them.
    Heres a link to the basic outline of things, i should get more information soon. http://www.army.mod.uk/aosb/regular_service/scholarship/scholarship_2.htm
    (i noted scholarship is spelt wrong at the head of the site, dont suppose thats a test?)
    Thanks very much for your time.

2. This'll soon be moved to the RCB questions thread but no worries. A few pieces of advice; be yourself, don't even think about lying on your interview, they will spot it. Know a good clean joke, go for a few runs and read the daily telegraph from now till your AOSB. Give everything you've got on the personal obstacle course and have fun. Even if you don't pass you will learn a lot about yourself which will stand you in good stead if you decide to have a crack at AOSB later on in life. Good luck.

3. Spot on - be yourself. What they really want to see on the obstacle course is you giving it max. Don't bottle any of the obstacles and through yourself at it. Never lie, you'll be found out. Be well up to speed on current affairs and have an opinion you can back up in discussion. I was an Army Scholar 20 years ago, but i don't expect the system has changed that much!! Best of luck.

4. Be careful when criticising other people for their spelling mistakes (or any other mistakes) before you check yours.

5. Thanks for the advice.
    Are there any other differences between the main RCB and that for scholarship other than the timetable?

6. I too was a scholar (1985 but hey-ho) and on the selection days, keep a low profile and if you are in the cadets, don't brag about it to the assembled masses as if you have just left Hereford.

Keep it real and be honest (as others have said above). I ended up chatting about cricket to the Board President who was a Brigadier as I think he welcomed a break from the usual parade of drivel the others were giving him.

Best of luck.

7. Maly, check your PM i've just sent you a big spiel about when I did it 2 years ago...

8. I remember doing this over a decade ago. I didn't really have a clue what to expect. I remember being asked four questions in my interview, of which I got two right. One of them was who was playing in the rugby league cup final that weekend at Twickers (got that one right), another was what did TUC stand for (got that one wrong! How embarrassing!).

I also remember doing the command tasks, and one chap yelling "Follow me" as he leapt through a ring. Must have worked because I saw him about 8 years later in a Guards regiment. He didn't recognise me though.

I didn't particularly like being ragged by a chick captain about my plan for crossing some desert somewhere, in front of everyone, but I didn't get it as bad as some.

Not a bad 24hrs overall, but I had no idea how it went. Ended up getting the scholarship though.