Army Officer Scholarship

Hi everyone, I recently just passed my medical and seem to be on track with the scholarship scheme. I have a few questions about the scholarship which I’m not able to find online so any information would be much appreciated!

Can scholar’s start at RMAS after college? I’m considering going to university but it could be a possibility that I join after finishing my A levels.

How does the Army Scholarship Selection Board (ASSB) differ from AOSB? I’m assuming standards are similar however there’s little information about ASSB online. Can anyone shed some light on this?

If I’m not awarded the scholarship and choose to go through the normal selection process could I be put on a waiting list for main board?

Last edited:
Yes, you can go straight to Sandhurst instead of uni; a Scholarship does not obligate you to go to uni. It is unusual (and the Army may not be very supportive) but it is not unheard of. The detail of such things you can find out later, just concentrate on first getting the Scholarship for now.
The merits of going to uni or not are a separate question.

I went to Westbury for a Scholarship several years ago so will be out of date on the specifics. However, it is essentially the same tests as for AOSB. As I recall, we did mental aptitude tests (verbal reasoning, non-verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning), planning exercise, individual obstacle course, essay-writing, current affairs discussions, interviews and some fitness tests.
You will be given all the information you need within the Joining Instructions closer to the date.
Put the time and effort into preparing yourself fully for all elements.

I failed to win a Scholarship so went via normal AOSB. My Scholarship application had no real bearing on my regular application in terms of being put on waiting lists or suchlike. Personally, I took away a lot from the experience and it stood me in good stead when I returned as an adult: I knew firsthand what it was like.

I have two bits of advice I’d like to share with anybody who fails to win a Scholarship. Firstly, make sure you do get as much feedback as possible. Secondly, it is not the end of the dream. There are lots of routes into the Army. This is just one of them. Accept it, learn from it, go and enjoy life and return for AOSB in a few years. It is not that the Army does not want you, it is just that the Army does not want you yet!

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Yes, you can go straight to Sandhurst instead of uni; a Scholarship does not obligate you to go to uni. It is unusual (and the Army May not be very supportive) but it is not unheard of. The detail of such things you can find out later, just concentrate on first getting the Scholarship for now.
The merits of going to uni or not are a separate question.

I went to Westbury for a Scholarship several years ago so will be out of date on the specifics. However, it is essentially the same tests as for AOSB. As I recall, we did mental aptitude tests (verbal reasoning, non-verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning), planning exercise, individual obstacle course, essay-writing, current affairs discussions, interviews and some fitness tests.

I failed to win a Scholarship so went via normal AOSB. My Scholarship application had no real bearing on my regular application in terms of being put on waiting lists or suchlike. Personally, I took away a lot from the experience and it stood me in good stead when I returned as an adult: I knew firsthand what it was like.

I have two bits of advice I’d like to share to anybody who fails to win a Scholarship. Firstly, make sure you do get as much feedback as possible. Secondly, it is not the end of the dream. There are lots of routes into the Army. This is just one of them. Accept it, learn from it, go and enjoy life and return for AOSB in a few years. It is not that the Army does not want you, it is just that the Army does not want you yet!

Best of luck!
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I’m prepared that I may not be given the scholarship but understand it will be very good experience, especially to see how I performed in each aspect would definitely help for AOSB.

I know in previous years the scholarship has been awarded to only around a 100 people as the army is taking a risk investing in young people 2-6 years before they start at RMAS but I was told at my insight course by an officer that anyone who passes the ASSB standards will receive the scholarship. I’m not sure how reliable this information is but I can see some truth in it. Would anyone know anything about this?

Also is anyone aware of how many people were awarded the scholarship in 2018?

Last edited:
Btw, if you don’t want to go straight to uni because you aren’t academic then fine but if it’s because you are impatient to get into the Army then have a look at doing a gap year commission.
Gap Year Commission - British Army Jobs
Take a year out to achieve or prove what you want to achieve or prove. Then, with money in your pocket, you can go to uni having got it out of your system, having achieved something, guaranteed a part-time job (Reserve Officer) at uni, and having an open door into the regular Army after uni.
Just a thought...

Last edited:
This is not a facetious answer*

Pay attention to your spelling and grammar. Make a habit of it now so that it will come naturally to you during your application. Little things count when you are in competition with other applicants.

*Well, maybe a little bit.