Army officer scholarship scheme

dear all,

I am currently considering applying for a scholarship and I had a few questions. I would really appreciate it if I could get a few answers.
1) is the scholarship mainly for those at state schools or at a slight economic advantage or is it for everyone? (I go to a private school but could really use the scholarship.)
2) do you have to be very academic? Is this what they look for? Or is it more about leadership and the academic aspect is only a 'culling' aspect.
3) is it very hard to get a scholarship? I am a good leader and I and I am somewhat academic.

I have always wanted to join the army and could not think of a better job.
Once again I would really appreciate some help with this

cpunk

LE
1. The Army Scholarship scheme is for everyone: it doesn't matter whether you're at a state or independent school.

2 & 3. You need to be a good academic prospect. You will need to achieve at least 46 ALIS points from your best seven subjects at GCSE (or equivalent) and to subsequently meet the UCAS points requirement at A level. They are difficult to get, not least because the army is taking quite a punt in selecting candidates five years before they are likely to attend the commissioning course. The standard required is higher than for candidates attending a normal main board at AOSB.

Thanks cpunk,

Do you know anyone who has got a scholarship? And do you need to think you need to get above the required grades or is this just a way to cut the numbers down?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thanks cpunk,

Do you know anyone who has got a scholarship? And do you need to think you need to get above the required grades or is this just a way to cut the numbers down?

I know someone who didn't get one. They are very difficult to achieve and there are not very many.

There's no harm in trying, though, since it's a useful experience at that age.

Yeah that is very true, it is worth a shot. If you fail it still shows that you have been keen for a while and may help you passing Aosb when you are older

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yeah that is very true, it is worth a shot. If you fail it still shows that you have been keen for a while and may help you passing Aosb when you are older

That was my take on it, too. A big disappointment for my youngster then, but far from a waste of time.

Character building, if you like.

That was my take on it, too. A big disappointment for my youngster then, but far from a waste of time.

I tried in 1976, and failed - was a big knock, mainly because I realised I'd have to do RCB! Still, later having gone through the mill it meant I could look on 'scholars' with scorn ;)

Edited to add: Having just actually read the OP's post - you sound remarkably like me.
Stick in there, don't ever give up - ever.

Good luck.

That's a real shame. I failed an RAF flying scholarship at a similar age. I was heart broken at the time and even more so, when the bloke from our school who got it, had a 'crisis of conscience' about carrying nuclear weapons and mugged Crab Air off.

I got one in about 1973 so I expect it has changed a lot.

I don't suppose that at the final board interview they ask you to impersonate Idi Amin for instance.

My room mate here at Cranwell got one for the RAF; said it was a fairly difficult process but the fact he was going for a job they were in dire need of helped (engineer in this case). He subsequently went to Welbeck defence sixth form college and on to university before landing on the same commissioning course as me.

Having just asked him if it was worth it, he said it was daunting to attend the officer selection at 15, and that he felt a bit alienated as every other twat there just harped on about the fact they were a sergeant in the cadets - he still got through though so worth a punt for sure.

I got one in about 1973 so I expect it has changed a lot.

I don't suppose that at the final board interview they ask you to impersonate Idi Amin for instance.
They asked me to impersonate 'Colonel Callan' so the question set hadn't changed much.

Thank feck they didn't ask me that. My Idi Amin was miles better.
All I had to do was remember firing squad drills - I can't have been very good because I didn't pass...............

I tried in 1976, and failed - was a big knock, mainly because I realised I'd have to do RCB! Still, later having gone through the mill it meant I could look on 'scholars' with scorn ;)

Edited to add: Having just actually read the OP's post - you sound remarkably like me.
Stick in there, don't ever give up - ever.

Good luck.
Must have failed the same year as you, Bubbles!

Unlike you, I also went on to fail RCB. Didn't take your advice though -- they encouraged me to come back in a couple of years, but I never did. Took a TA commission a few years later and had some fun, but I sometimes wonder what would have happened if ...

So I completely second your advice to the OP -- never give up.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thank feck they didn't ask me that. My Idi Amin was miles better.
But was it as good as John Bird's?
To the OP, I know several officers who got scholarships and also at least one (likely more but it's not something that gets discussed that often) officer who applied and was unsuccessful. Good luck to you, but it's not the end of the road if it doesn't work out at this stage. Some people just develop late.

The Scholarship is tough to secure, but not due to obvious quality, just because there are so few places.

Have a go, but take failure in your stride and have a pause for thought.

My son is approaching A'Levels and I thought he'd follow me (&grandfather) into the same Regiment but has opted to pursue another route.

Frankly I'm delighted as the real experience in the Army is quite different to the recruiting literature.

Good luck but think about this seriously.

I got one.

Yours,

Ex-Sgt Roadster.

Make of that what you will :)