Army Officer Internship

Hi all,

I've been looking online for a fair while and can't seem to find much info on the army's officer internship program outside of their official website. Looking to apply to the program this year to see if military life is for me before going off to uni.
Any info or personal experience relating to the program is appreciated.

Thanks.

QRK2

LE
Hi all,

I've been looking online for a fair while and can't seem to find much info on the army's officer internship program outside of their official website. Looking to apply to the program this year to see if military life is for me before going off to uni.

Thanks.

The previous scheme was known as the "Gap Year Commission". A search for that will yield some more information, though not completely current.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hi all,

Thanks.
I’m a few years out of date. There is an Army Scholarship scheme, very difficult to secure. I’d suggest go to uni and join the UOTC. No commitment to join the Regulars but a great introduction. Here I am 47 years later.

QRK2

LE
I’m a few years out of date. There is an Army Scholarship scheme, very difficult to secure. I’d suggest go to uni and join the UOTC. No commitment to join the Regulars but a great introduction. Here I am 47 years later.

The Army Scholarship only covers sixth form years. There are various bursaries for university students but the latter are not much more relevant to the internship and OP's query than the former.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Hi all,

Thanks.

The Army Internship replaced the Gap Year commission. Please see below some key points which will hopefully help explain the scheme:
  • The Internship is open to candidates who have an unconditional offer to study at a UK University, or have graduated within the last two years
  • The application window will be open between August and December 2022 for entry into Sandhurst in September 2023.
  • Candidates will apply through the Army Website as a Regular Officer, meet medical entry standards and pass the Briefing and Main Board assessments at AOSB
  • They must meet the nationality, residency and educational criteria for officer entry.
  • Successful candidates will be loaded to the Commissioning Course Short (CCS) in September 2023 and complete 9 weeks of first class military and leadership training at RMAS
  • Candidates will be aged between 17.9 and 28 years
  • Successful candidates will be attached to a Field Army unit for a commitment of between 6-18 months where they will undertake any additional training required and then be offered an opportunity to hone and develop their leadership skills through service alongside Regular Army officers and commanding soldiers. They will also build their confidence, develop essential life skills and have the opportunity to take part in sport, adventurous training and travel – whilst taking part in a paid Internship.
  • Opportunities will exist to serve with a wide variety of capbadges across the spectrum of combat, combat support and combat service support units, and in fields such as logistics, communications, engineering and medical support.
  • 30 spaces will be offered on the Internship Scheme in Sept 2023
If you have any questions or if you require assistance with your internship application then please e-mail RG-NRCGYC@mod.gov.uk or call the recruitment line on 0345 600 80 80. Good luck.

That's seems overly complicated - if an 18 year old has a unconditional offer from a University when would they have the time to fit all this in - defer their University place --

Archie

chimera

LE
That's seems overly complicated - if an 18 year old has a unconditional offer from a University when would they have the time to fit all this in - defer their University place --

Archie
Which is why its predecessor scheme was called the Gap Year Commission. The clue was in the name.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt

Archie
The scheme is intended to provide an opportunity to experience the role of an Army Officer for 6 to 18-months before, during or after University.

Note ; Anyone who has graduated within the last 2 years, can apply.

The previous scheme was known as the "Gap Year Commission". A search for that will yield some more information, though not completely current.
That is going back about 15-20y!

Stories which will remain silent....

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi all,

Thanks.
Join UOTC or Army Reserve, much simpler.

Hi all,

Thanks.
Hey mate,
I’m currently doing the internship scheme with 3 PARA and genuinely its been the greatest experience. I’ve done a jungle ex in Belize and plenty of other exercises aswell in the uk. I deferred my uni place at Loughborough and it has been the greatest decision ever. If you want more info feel free to message me privately

Latest Threads