Army officer initial interview tomorrow - current affairs knowledge

Hello,

I have my initial army officer interview tomorrow morning on skype.

One of the things that will come up in the interview is current affairs knowledge. I have been researching current affairs but I am unsure what current affairs is likely to come up in the interview and how many different current affairs topics I should have knowledge about.

I would like to know what people on this forum think are the most important current affairs topics in the news at the minute.

I have done quite a lot of research into knife crime which is a big current affairs topic in the UK at the minute.

Thankyou,
Jacob

As a mere civvy I reckon the issues related to the rise of China and it's military spending, Thucydides' Trap, the South China Sea, whatever the hell Putin is up to and maybe possible Brexit effects on NATO and defence?
I get that they're probably looking for people with a well rounded education and knowledge but those are the sorts of ballpark I'd (fervently) hope that our military are thinking hard about.
F*ckwitted teens stabbing each other is not really, more of a police and social services matter.

Last edited:
Maybe also read around the ÇA of regions where the UK still has an involvement, such as the Middle East. And maybe some of the recent humanitarian missions the UK has undertaken.

India/Pakistan could be a goodie as that's quite interesting. Look at what's going on globally and apply the rules of the great game, look at who is the proxy for whom and the whys and wherefores etc...

Also, look at the dried grape market in California, covers all bases in case they meant Currant Affairs...

4(T)

LE
Consider yourself lucky; I had to talk for 15 minutes about the inside of a ping-pong ball, with no repetitions or pauses permitted...

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Potential officers are interviewed on Skype? The Army staff shortages must be really bad.

charleymouse

Old-Salt
It’s not easy to be precise but try to have a rough idea of where all Countries are, so if they show you a map and say where is... you can answer quickly.

Brexit & likely impact/EU/NATO possibly?

Saudi & recent events/Syria/Assad/Daesh etc.

Trump/attitude to NATO/China/Russia/Europe.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Consider yourself lucky; I had to talk for 15 minutes about the inside of a ping-pong ball, with no repetitions or pauses permitted...
...and all of this was fields :)

happyuk

Old-Salt
If can you spout off anything about Russia I think that would be definite plus. Some things I have learned recently:

Seizing and occupying territory is not the ultimate Russian objective, whereas for the Soviet Armed Forces it was. Today their objective is the destruction of our Armed Forces and fighting capability.

A universally-held Russian belief is that Russia can only be secure at the expense of their neighbours’ security, they consider that other countries’ security is secondary to, and must be subordinated to, Russia’s.

Russia controls the strategic initiative today much more than an objective measure of their economic and military strength would indicate.

We go to war with Russia as a whole, not just militarily. They treat everything as a weapon: Cyber-warfare, energy, money, mafia, intimidation of officials, bribery, investment, dirty tricks, disinformation and all sorts. And also propaganda - the “war” mindset is pumped into the Russian population and is one of the great successes of Putin’s offensive.

Russia sees itself in decline and predicts that the West will make a technological leap in 2022-4, jumping to a new level in response to Russia’s development. Worryingly this could preempt them into initiating hostilities sooner than later.

Russia has an integrated strategic campaign. The West ignored the basics of the old fashioned military operations. It went unnoticed that in Crimea, Russia mobilised 120,000 for contingency operations in case the West responded militarily to the invasion and occupation.

The Russians’ massive disinformation and distraction campaign has been largely successful in their long term program to destabilize our society and undermine our populations’ faith in our democratic political systems.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
The thought did occur to me that if you did not have your own view on the matters of the moment by this stage, you could well struggle......

For the record at my final interview they asked me to do my imitation of Idi Amin.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hello,

I have my initial army officer interview tomorrow morning on skype.

One of the things that will come up in the interview is current affairs knowledge. I have been researching current affairs but I am unsure what current affairs is likely to come up in the interview and how many different current affairs topics I should have knowledge about.

I would like to know what people on this forum think are the most important current affairs topics in the news at the minute.

I have done quite a lot of research into knife crime which is a big current affairs topic in the UK at the minute.

Thankyou,
Jacob
Is this Skype interview with your CSM?

halloumikid

Old-Salt
Given the mess Capita has made of the pipeline, and the fact that they are paid to fill it, even with dross, as long as you have a pulse, I wouldn’t worry.

Truxx

LE
“De main problem facin’ de Ugandan Navy is; we ain’t got no sea.”
I am deeply indebted to Alan Coren. And Princess Anne who was resident at RMAS at the time. The board seemed quite taken with my Amin pronouncement that "when dat Princess Ann see me she gonna trow herself in my arms"

40 minutes on ISO paper sizes.

Latest Threads