Army of Angels

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by syledis, Jun 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was in Irvine today and there was a stall there for an Army charity called Army of Angels with a sign below it saying a company called Sterling was authorised to raise money for them

I,d never heard of it and was curious (not in a, lets out these potential charity scammers way, just cos im nosey and bored) and on their website they have a page called Holidays for Heroes.

Im sure its just coincedence but could that in any way affect our own fundraising on here?
  2. Not our hols4heroes I think, just ripping off the name. The are registered with the Charity Commission
    [TABLE="width: 0"]
    [TH="align: left"]Registered Number[/TH]
    [TH="align: left"]Charity name[/TH]
    [TH="align: left"] [/TH]
    [TD="align: left"]1143612[/TD]
    [TD="align: left"]ARMY OF ANGELS[/TD]
    [TD="align: left"]Registered[/TD]
    AoA Hols4heroes.jpg
  3. I guessed the were legit, i was just wondering who used the Holidays for heroes thing first and how they used it, as compared to us.
  4. AOA appears to have been registered in the last year as search for previous year brings up no result.

From the site:
    Army Of Angels is a Company limited by Guarantee Registered in England and Wales number 07145018 Registered Charity number 1143612

Web Design Bristol by Cloud

Unit 27 Cotteswold Dairy Estate, Dairy Way, Tewkesbury, Gloucester. GL20 8JE

Telephone: 01684 274577 Email:
  5. SSAFA coined the phrase Help for Heros some 20 years ago...but we are not bitter...honest..grrrrrrr
  6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

There was a big thread on Army of Angels in the Charity section but it got a bit heated and got binned. Stirling appears to be a marketing / promotions company with one client - AoA.

Theres another Hols4H based on Jersey if I remember - it pre-dates the ARRSE one I think.
  7. Army of Angels was another charity collecting in my area during the last twelve months. Because I will only donate to those established Service Charities (ABF, RBL and H4H), I regret to say I didn't give despite their pleading to do so, although I did check them out on the Web when I returned home. However, with so many charities (both registered and un-registered) swamping the market, often appearing to compete against each other at the same venue and at the same time in some cases, I have to ask myself if they are actually killing the sympathy vote amongst civilians, particularly during these recession hit times.
  8. I think you are thinking about Sgt Slingsby (Blue Sophist) who joined with Help them Out and joined with our Hols4Heroes.
    slingsby and co.jpg

On a refined search of the Charity Commission AoA appears to have been registered as a charity in August 2011.
  9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

There is Holidays for Heroes Jersey:
    Holidays for Heroes Jersey

BS knows all about them
  10. Can't be too po faced about it the H4H that fund raises here has no traceable identity on companies house or the Charity Commission web site, no individuals are publicly identified with it and there seems to be no accessible record of turnover.
  11. Got in from watching the disgrace that is the Scottish fitba team under Levein to find 2 raffle tickets from AofA on the side - £2.50 each. Said to the wife whats this, where did you get them. She said Falkirk town centre yesterday, big stall & merch and mobbed.
    I read their worthy causes on the back of the ticket, what they do etc and am left thinking is that not what SSAFA do and have done for 125 years? Especially when you trawl on here and some comments on the costs of the promoters, how much actually goes to the good causes.

Worst of all I'm doing a 10K next weekend for SSAFA and Blesma and she hasnt even sponsored me! Bone!
  12. Setting up a forces charity did become very appealing, it seems, when rumours were spreading about the directors of Help for Heroes cutting about in Aston Martins. Not that I'm cynical :).
    Is there a niche of need, a particular circumstance, as yet uncovered by any of the established charities- RBL, SSAFA, BLESMA, St. Dunstan's, Combat Stress or Help for Heroes?
    Lesser or one-off cases can be covered by regimental charities such as the Rifles, in whose probity one can be confident- I guess H4H also falls into this bracket. So I don't really see how new charities can do anything other than duplicate admin costs, especially if they are setting themselves up as a large concern with high profile publicity, merchandise, and covering a wide area.
  13. Which is why Hols4Heroes on here has never been described as a charity, it is a not for profit community fund raiser. The individuals involved are publicly acknowledged on this site and he has even occasionally posted all the relevant figures from the amount of families helped to the trauma counselling for the abused hamsters.
    At its most basic, it is a trust issue. If you don't feel comfortable donating then don't do it.