Army nunbering query

Hi,
Has the sequential numbering changed? I have just had a doorstep 'veteran' wearing what appeared to be an official i/d card, but he told me his army number 226........and looked in his late 20's This looked odd to me as I'm 87 and my number is 229...... When I questioned this he he insisted the numbering system had all changed. It hurt me to turn him away just in case he was genuine. Am I guilty?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hi,
Has the sequential numbering changed? I have just had a doorstep 'veteran' wearing what appeared to be an official i/d card, but he told me his army number 226........and looked in his late 20's This looked odd to me as I'm 87 and my number is 229...... When I questioned this he he insisted the numbering system had all changed. It hurt me to turn him away just in case he was genuine. Am I guilty?

Everyone now gets an 8 digit number starting with 300 since mid-2006.

Hi,
Yes: https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Service_Number

Stibbon

Old-Salt
Hi,

The sequencing has changed since your day yes, as shown in post #3 (although it hardly answers your question). I'm still serving and most of the new people coming in have "300..." numbers so I fail to see how a young "veteran" as you describe can have an army number beginning with 226 ... :cool:

Hi,

Who was he collecting for?