Army Numbers-Help!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by healer, Feb 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I was told that I wouldn't get my Number for a looooong while as certain factors (not being born in the UK, having dual nationality parents, maybe :roll: ) would mean that the security checks could take some time.

While I dont have my number...does that mean I'm in the Armed Services or not?? I've been attested but am I actually a serving member?

Any one know???

Ta :lol:

2. anybody? :cry:

3. i didn't think you could be attested until you got your number. i may be wrong. In Northen Ireland it took mine the guts of 6 months to come through due to security clearance taking longwer over here.

4. I didn't get my Army number till i got to my Training Unit, but that was a few years ago, but i was considered to be in the Army from when i took the Oath and was on unpaid leave until i got to Training.

Hope this helps

Sparky

5. Cheers, I was told by the chief clerk it would take a further 9 MONTHS plus the other two to get it! Look I'm only young, I havent had the time yet to become a war criminal! Why the wait!!
    The main reason for the question is I have to fill out another Security Questionair and there's a question about serving with the Forces....what should I put????

Help anyone?

6. yours will begin with a two if you cant hold on to your bladder, an army number is like a tattoo, it'll be with you for the rest of your natural, so relish the days of being army number free.

unless of course you are an army number fetishist.

7. hmmm not a number lover myself. Got enuf to remember with out all that lol

just this security form...would I be lying technically if I put it wasn't, oh I wish I wasnt so blonde

8. Don't worry about it mate. Once you've been attested you're in. Any training you do before your number is issued can be back dated so you get credit for it with regards to your training and you'll get paid. Yes, you are a member of the armed services. Security checks will take a while, I was in the same situation.

9. Dont worry it will arrive eventually, if you have been attested the papers shoudl have been cleared by your Bn before going to Glasgow.

It will also therefore take a long time before you get paid as until you have number I suspect they will not be able to atribute your days worked nor will you be able to attend any Phase 2 training, just make sure you sign a pay sheet every time you do an evening or weekend and when you do eventually get paid you should get a nice lump sum.

10. it took my unit 8 months to give me clearance and they wouldnt attest me until i got it. they couldnt accept me into the army until the clearance came through.

i wasnt even allowed to train until it came through. i kept on turning up though and eventually wore them down and they allowed me to train. they even kitted me out with spare kit cos they saw i wasnt going to give up but they werent allowed to issue me any.

i didnt go away thank god and havent looked back since

keep with it mate if they are training you thats the most important thing. all your back pay will catch up to you ....eventually :roll:

11. it took my unit 8 months to give me clearance and they wouldnt attest me until i got it. they couldnt accept me into the army until the clearance came through.

i wasnt even allowed to train until i was cleared. i kept on turning up though and eventually wore them down and they allowed me to train. they even kitted me out with spare kit cos they saw i wasnt going to give up but they werent allowed to issue me any.

i didnt go away thank god and havent looked back since

keep with it mate if they are training you thats the most important thing. all your back pay will catch up to you ....eventually :roll:

12. cheers all! That's helped alot, now I just have to look forward to that lump sum...eventually ;)

13. Well they can't issue you kit, but they should have lent you some a lot earlier than that so you could at least get into some basic training. Waiting eight months is just absurd. However, you've shown your dedication by sticking with it. Maybe that's how they weed out the half-interested people. I had my army number within three weeks of being attested, although I handed in all my paper work about three months before that so maybe that gave me an advance on the wait.

14. Don Touhig (Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Veterans), Ministry of Defence) Hansard source

A Territorial Army applicant is officially classed as a recruit once he or she has been Attested.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2006-01-31b.43688.h

there you go straight from the horses ass.... :p sorry mouth

15. There is now a computer system call Arcade that can generate an army number within 48 hours. This number has then to be confirmed by Glasgow and this can still take months once all the checks have been done but your unit should be using the Arcade system to generate a number for you. All TA Units are supposed to be using it.

You have been attested so they have got you. You just won't get paid till Glasgow security clear you and confirm your number. However, you can only get so far in your training without a number so you will get held up sooner or later if they take too long.

Don't worry you'll get used to Glasgow!