Army Numbers Fall Again

If we make the whole thing a zero sum game, life will be really shit, and that unfortunately is the way we're headed.
Perhaps we should level the entire playing field. Harmonise SFA and SLA charges with private-sector rates, remove travel warrant entitlement (if it still exists for the U25s') ensure PAYD rates match what you would pay in a civilian restaurant, harmonise alcohol prices in unit bars etc etc. Benefuts would be huge and we would remove this patronisation of servicemen and women.

Last edited:
I couldn't really give a **** about junior officers, they can change things when they are senior. Or show some of that morale courage they so like to talk about and chest poke the CO.
Why am I bitter? For pointing out a easily enacted solution that would improve morale. That is to stop stealing from the soldiers. Do you need Senn Delaney to give you some expensive training on the obvious?
Nice diversion tactic that because you got a perk it's okay to steal from soldiers.
There’s no theft in involved in any of this as there is always an exchange of goods. What’s next, subsidised AT disappears because people have to contribute? Decent trips abroad will be out the window soon because you have to contribute to the Sports Lottery? You’re a fool if you can’t see the negative impact of all this, but that’s clear anyway. You’re talking shit about chest poking as usual.

Perhaps we should level the entire playing field. Harmonise SFA and SLA charges with private-sector rates, remove travel warrant entitlement (if it still exists from the U25s') ensure PAYD rates match what you would pay in a civilian restaurant, harmonise alcohol prices in unit bars etc etc. Benefuts would be huge and we would remove this patronisation of servicemen and women.
Can wait two years please, I’m still taking advantage!!!

These were the kind of conversations that led to PAYD...

There’s no theft in involved in any of this as there is always an exchange of goods. What’s next, subsidised AT disappears because people have to contribute? Decent trips abroad will be out the window soon because you have to contribute to the Sports Lottery? You’re a fool if you can’t see the negative impact of all this, but that’s clear anyway. You’re talking shit about chest poking as usual.
There you go again trying to justify theft.
The ******* pikeys charge pensioners x-thousands to tarmac their drive, is that "ok" because there has been an exchange of goods?
The good old "what's next" excuse. If people have the choice to go on AT then their isnt a problem of them paying for it. If they are forced to because some **** officer/senior wants an sjar/OJAR moment, then yes it should be stopped.
You are wasted as an OR, get yourself on a commissioning board, you'll be a shoe I'm with all your justification why it's ok to steal from the soldiers.

These were the kind of conversations that led to PAYD...
Nothing is wrong with paying for the food you eat. Most other militaries and civvie companies seem to manage it, just the Army that manages to **** it up.

There you go again trying to justify theft.
The ******* pikeys charge pensioners x-thousands to tarmac their drive, is that "ok" because there has been an exchange of goods?
The good old "what's next" excuse. If people have the choice to go on AT then their isnt a problem of them paying for it. If they are forced to because some **** officer/senior wants an sjar/OJAR moment, then yes it should be stopped.
You are wasted as an OR, get yourself on a commissioning board, you'll be a shoe I'm with all your justification why it's ok to steal from the soldiers.
AT is solely for an OJAR moment wtf? And...I’m not justifying theft, I’m just one of those annoying non-knee jerkers that can see a second order effect in everything. In this case, I can’t see trackies and sweatshirts going away but I can see them being funded by Regt/Corps subs. Who’s the real winner, probably FYB advertisers.

AT is solely for an OJAR moment wtf? And...I’m not justifying theft, I’m just one of those annoying non-knee jerkers that can see a second order effect in everything. In this case, I can’t see trackies and sweatshirts going away but I can see them being funded by Regt/Corps subs. Who’s the real winner, probably FYB advertisers.
You are justifying theft with your shit excuse it's an exchange of goods.
You don't know officers/seniors plan something like AT, then when they realise no one is interested all of a sudden pressure is applied? A bit like like having to buy stable belts or you aren't a team player like you have suggested in the past.
If people are proud to wear a capbadge embossed tracksuit, then they will willingly buy them, if they arent proud maybe there is a problem in your Corps.

We’ve been round this before.

It’s not theft, it probably counts as extortion.

Comd SM says it won’t happen.

Can you two please get a room.,

This seems to be a recurring theme on ARRSE and serving officers excuses in the Army.
It is highly unlikely someone will not join up or sign off based on one single event. They will (and do) either not sign up or sign off when they see/receive a multitude of petty bullshit and theft.
"No one ever signed off over it" seems to be used by those at the top who can't be arsed doing anything about it.
I was nowhere near the top.
I paid cash money for plenty of stuff, hackles, t shirts, stable belt even a cap badge that I had to polish. That didn't bother me as I had pride in my regiment. I had to buy Mess Dress too, that didn't bother me.
Lots of other shit made me get out, not buying hackles that I was proud to wear.
My last word.

I was nowhere near the top.
I paid cash money for plenty of stuff, hackles, t shirts, stable belt even a cap badge that I had to polish. That didn't bother me as I had pride in my regiment. I had to buy Mess Dress too, that didn't bother me.
Lots of other shit made me get out, not buying hackles that I was proud to wear.
My last word.
That's nice that you had pride in your unit. If you didn't, would you have been happy being forced to pay for stuff you didn't want or need?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
The current debate (here) amuses me. I have a suggestion, the Army starts issuing ALL the quirky cap badge uniform currently being bought from unit PRIs. In order to offset the additional budget expenditure, next years pay rise is cancelled.

The current debate (here) amuses me. I have a suggestion, the Army starts issuing ALL the quirky cap badge uniform currently being bought from unit PRIs. In order to offset the additional budget expenditure, next years pay rise is cancelled.
Is there any good reason that the MOD doesnt pay for this kit that it insists its soldiers should have?

This thread has had some really interesting topics crop up throughout its life and I am occasionally tempted to add my opinion. Then a little voice in my head says “don’t walk towards the light”! :smile: