Army Numbers Fall Again

Chalkythedog

Old-Salt
In April this year the number of Army personnel fell yet again and are 4,000 short of the MOD target.
They are also missing the targets for recruiting into the AR
All the facts and figures are in the links below.

From Here: British Army Troop Numbers Fall 4,000 Under Target

From Here; Number of soldiers in British Army falls - BBC News

The latest releases from the MOD can be found here;

UK armed forces monthly service personnel statistics: 2017 - GOV.UK
It's not surprising. If you can find yourself in court decades later for doing as you're told, it's hardly surprising there's a shortage of volunteers.

I agree, but it is now an recurring cost that rises with the success of recruiting. I wonder if they’ll look at what sprog Cav and Guards units have to buy as they leave Sandhurst. If I ran a sweatshop on Saville Row I’d be twitching right now.
It should have been a recurring cost for the MOD decades ago, instead they we happy that the recruits were stolen from.
If they didn't keep stealing from soldiers maybe a few more would stay in the Army and save the MOD having to recruit their replacements.

NemoIII

Old-Salt
It's not surprising. If you can find yourself in court decades later for doing as you're told, it's hardly surprising there's a shortage of volunteers.
Ask a single recruit if that is even a recurring thought?

I've worked at AFCO and not once have I heard a potential recruit mention this at all. People try claiming this is affecting recruiting but I highly doubt it is.

Alot mention friends/family/rumours that the army isn't that good of a employer which I bet has far far bigger impact on recruiting.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I reckon It only got changed only because it got put on Facebook/Twitter. They must have known, it was a regular payment.
I think it's possible it might have been an unknown known. There are a lot of things that are right in everyone's faces but not really seen properly until someone points them out. I can see "where and how recruits get their tracksuits" being one of those. DS might know the answer is "the PRI on Tuesday afternoon" without thinking too hard about anything further. The recruits don't know any better, and the staff don't know all the details.

Note that the prices document was from the PRI and not the HQ. It's the kind of thing that someone might skim read without thinking about all the implications, given that's the way it's always been done.

Interesting that you're claiming that there were orders to shoot unarmed civilians... even the Saville report suggests no such thing (I suggest you read it).

Anyway, "only following orders" isn't really a defence... a bit like Marine A, it doesn't look too good when you announce on camera "this is against the Geneva Convention" and then proceed to murder an unarmed prisoner. Do either, get tried for murder. Simples.

I think it's possible it might have been an unknown known. There are a lot of things that are right in everyone's faces but not really seen properly until someone points them out. I can see "where and how recruits get their tracksuits" being one of those. DS might know the answer is "the PRI on Tuesday afternoon" without thinking too hard about anything further. The recruits don't know any better, and the staff don't know all the details.

Note that the prices document was from the PRI and not the HQ. It's the kind of thing that someone might skim read without thinking about all the implications, given that's the way it's always been done.
I sure someone would be checking the finances of the PRI. A tom would have complained before. That someone at officer rank must have read the paperwork sent out (That what the screen shots on FYB were) to recruits.
Everyone knows it happens.

I sure someone would be checking the finances of the PRI. A tom would have complained before. That someone at officer rank must have read the paperwork sent out (That what the screen shots on FYB were) to recruits.
Everyone knows it happens.
A couple more here at the AFC it seems £10 in cash is collected from recruits as a PRI contribution https://www.army.mod.uk/umbraco/Surface/Download/Get/5769

And Pirbright arranges a £52 shopping list https://www.army.mod.uk/umbraco/Surface/Download/Get/4802

It should have been a recurring cost for the MOD decades ago, instead they we happy that the recruits were stolen from.
If they didn't keep stealing from soldiers maybe a few more would stay in the Army and save the MOD having to recruit their replacements.
You’re like a broken record. It’s been the done thing for years and now it isn’t. I’d forgotten about it after 23 years, even after being made to pay for something that didn’t fit. Be happy, you’re tax payer dollars will be funding it all.

You’re like a broken record. It’s been the done thing for years and now it isn’t. I’d forgotten about it after 23 years, even after being made to pay for something that didn’t fit. Be happy, you’re tax payer dollars will be funding it all.
Well that's okay then finally after the Army is embarrassed on social media it gets of its arse and does something.
Might as well sack any type of leadership course, and just wait until FYB points out the ******* obvious.

When I (and some other 1st Battalion lads) turned up at 2 RRF in Celle, one of the first things we had to do was sign for a battalion tracksuit. Originally the lads had to buy them, but they were so expensive it led to a lot of complaints. So, they went on a bloke's flick.It has to be said though, they were good quality. Anyhow, even though they cost a lot and the lads were forced to pay for them, I don't think it made many of them sign off.
This was 1997, BTW.

Well that's okay then finally after the Army is embarrassed on social media it gets of its arse and does something.
Might as well sack any type of leadership course, and just wait until FYB points out the ******* obvious.
What's leadership got to do with anything? There's no evidence that paying for a tracksuit has any impact on individual recruiting or retention, only with parents dripping. There will be a second order effect to this and it won't be positive.

What's leadership got to do with anything? There's no evidence that paying for a tracksuit has any impact on individual recruiting or retention, only with parents dripping. There will be a second order effect to this and it won't be positive.
Yeah right, being forced to pay for things doesn't affect morale. You balloonhead.
You can't see that ******* over the lads affects recruiting and retention? Is that just your standard excuse for treating soldiers like cnuts or was it one specially tailored to the Army stealing from its soldiers?

I don't think it made many of them sign off.
This seems to be a recurring theme on ARRSE and serving officers excuses in the Army.
It is highly unlikely someone will not join up or sign off based on one single event. They will (and do) either not sign up or sign off when they see/receive a multitude of petty bullshit and theft.
"No one ever signed off over it" seems to be used by those at the top who can't be arsed doing anything about it.

Yeah right, being forced to pay for things doesn't affect morale. You balloonhead.
You can't see that ******* over the lads affects recruiting and retention? Is that just your standard excuse for treating soldiers like cnuts or was it one specially tailored to the Army stealing from its soldiers?
This isn't just the lads, Officers are taxed significantly more than the price of a pair or tracky bottoms and a sweatshirt, so you can stop banging that drum. And I don't see that as part of the cumulative effect on the individuals decision.

This isn't just the lads, Officers are taxed significantly more than the price of a pair or tracky bottoms and a sweatshirt, so you can stop banging that drum. And I don't see that as part of the cumulative effect on the individuals decision.
If you want to stick your tongue up the officers arse just do it don't post on here about their hard luck story. They are supposed to be leaders, that's what they are paid for. But well done for suggesting the boys should be ripped off because officers are as well.
Of course you don't think stealing from the soldiers affects recruitment and retention. That's why for the last 20 years both have been shit.

If you want to stick your tongue up the officers arse just do it don't post on here about their hard luck story. They are supposed to be leaders, that's what they are paid for. But well done for suggesting the boys should be ripped off because officers are as well.
Of course you don't think stealing from the soldiers affects recruitment and retention. That's why for the last 20 years both have been shit.
So junior Officers deserve to pay for civilian uniform because they are leaders but junior soldiers don't? Mate you are a bitter fish aren't you. We're all being ripped off, especially the public that subsidised my 6 weeks work hard play hard in Ascension Island and 3 weeks inn Diego Garcia. If we make the whole thing a zero sum game, life will be really shit, and that unfortunately is the way we're headed.

So junior Officers deserve to pay for civilian uniform because they are leaders but junior soldiers don't? Mate you are a bitter fish aren't you. We're all being ripped off, especially the public that subsidised my 6 weeks work hard play hard in Ascension Island and 3 weeks inn Diego Garcia. If we make the whole thing a zero sum game, life will be really shit, and that unfortunately is the way we're headed.
I couldn't really give a **** about junior officers, they can change things when they are senior. Or show some of that morale courage they so like to talk about and chest poke the CO.
Why am I bitter? For pointing out a easily enacted solution that would improve morale. That is to stop stealing from the soldiers. Do you need Senn Delaney to give you some expensive training on the obvious?
Nice diversion tactic that because you got a perk it's okay to steal from soldiers.

Latest Threads