Army Numbers Fall Again

What money? For belts? The Army provides belts (and rank slides). Certain Officers think that isnt good enough and steal from their soldiers so they can wear what the officer wants them to wear

My Troop had loads of socials, when I was in Germany my Sqn had loads of socials, all without the need to steal from the soldiers.
Ive been over this before with the One Day Pay Scheme, at the time it worked out the the fund paid on average 4 quid per soldier on AT. This justified steal a days wages off the soldiers to fund among other things, the Corps Mag that no one ever reads and some silverware for the Sgt and Officers Corps Mess'es

Paying into something to save up is a throwback of the army going back decades when soldiers didnt get paid much. I always thought it was embarrassing that the Sgt Mess charged a tenner a month for the Balls, instead of 60 quid twice a year like the rest of the society
You can have belts and rank slides, they should be issued. Try and play devils advocate, what do we lose if we get rid of PRI subs, Sqn Subs, Tp Subs etc (you can even through mess entertainments in there too)?

No. If you have to wear it - it should be issued.
It is issued but like I said, due to an officers whim, lads have to pay other belts/rankslides/t shirts.
Where did the money for your socials in Germany come from?
From the lads, (which at the time included me as I was junior rank). For example there was a Ski hill that offered free booze and food, I cant remember the entrance price but I think it was around 50 euro. One person collected, organised who was driving and off they went, no risk assessment, no bellends that you didnt like and the money taken was only spent on yourself, not the OC/SSMs whims and you had the choice whether or not to attend. We had nights out in various German cities, the occasional weekend in the Netherlands and other stuff. We didn't need to compulsorily pay into a fund that was spent on whatever the OC/SSM thought was OK.

I’m also unsure as to why you are annoyed at paying £10 a month over £60 twice.
My point is why do we do it? As Sgts and above we should be able to pay 60 quid when asked and not **** about collecting it in dribs and drabs. The Army continues to do it because thats all they have ever done.

You can have belts and rank slides, they should be issued. Try and play devils advocate, what do we lose if we get rid of PRI subs, Sqn Subs, Tp Subs etc (you can even through mess entertainments in there too)?
Not much, what do you think we will lose? Have you ever tried asking your soldiers to pay for something they want rather than just take money of them and then (generally) only give them a little bit back?
When soldiers are attached to NATO there generally arent any PRI/SQN/TP subs because you cant force foreign soldiers and/or civilians into it and yet they still have days out and activities including the Nijmegan marches. They just ask people to pay if they want to do it.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Don't worry the MOD has a grip on the important matters. A MOD spokesperson has apologised for regiments telling soldiers to carry a housewife (sewing kit) with them , there was a cringeworthy wringing of hands at such a sexist term.
See how Putin is awestruck at our bold anti discriminatory move

1566479761014.png

Not much, what do you think we will lose? Have you ever tried asking your soldiers to pay for something they want rather than just take money of them and then (generally) only give them a little bit back?
When soldiers are attached to NATO there generally arent any PRI/SQN/TP subs because you cant force foreign soldiers and/or civilians into it and yet they still have days out and activities including the Nijmegan marches. They just ask people to pay if they want to do it.
That limits us to nothing beyond a day trip, so we would lose everything apart from day trips.

It is issued but like I said, due to an officers whim, lads have to pay other belts/rankslides/t shirts.

From the lads, (which at the time included me as I was junior rank). For example there was a Ski hill that offered free booze and food, I cant remember the entrance price but I think it was around 50 euro. One person collected, organised who was driving and off they went, no risk assessment, no bellends that you didnt like and the money taken was only spent on yourself, not the OC/SSMs whims and you had the choice whether or not to attend. We had nights out in various German cities, the occasional weekend in the Netherlands and other stuff. We didn't need to compulsorily pay into a fund that was spent on whatever the OC/SSM thought was OK.

My point is why do we do it? As Sgts and above we should be able to pay 60 quid when asked and not **** about collecting it in dribs and drabs. The Army continues to do it because thats all they have ever done.
This is moving toward being obtuse. If you have to wear it, it should be issued, or it should be voluntary. I agree with you that COs enforcing stable belts bought at private expense is wrong.

What you describe above sounds like a bunch of mates going out, not a work social. The two are different.

That limits us to nothing beyond a day trip, so we would lose everything apart from day trips.
We had weekends in the Netherlands and one in Disneyland Paris at Sqn level. And this was over a decade ago.
Not all soldiers are mongs who need to someone desperate for an SJAR/OJAR moment to organise a crap cheap as chips function.
I cant remember the name of the Bootie who died in Afghanistan, who left money for his mates to go to Vegas (it made the papers), but on his Repat they spoke of him organizing the trip for him and his mate, phoning America while on tour to get prices of hire vehicles.
Ive done Nijmegan 3 times, Ive also done other IML marches ranging from 2 to 5 night out of bed in Denmark, England, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Belgium and Italy without paying into a sqn/reg fund.
The world has moved on, yet the Army still lives in the past.

Last edited:
This is moving toward being obtuse. If you have to wear it, it should be issued, or it should be voluntary. I agree with you that COs enforcing stable belts bought at private expense is wrong.
I think every CO in the RLC forced his Seniors/officers to wear it when on duty and for some really ******* weird reason once a week, everyone over the rank of Sgt had to wear barrack dress for no apparent reason (with paid for belt)

What you describe above sounds like a bunch of mates going out, not a work social. The two are different.
It was varying ranks, although obviously you had to be classed as a "good lad" to be invited.
The only differences I could see, was there was no bullshit, there was a choice (if you wanted to go or not)and there were no bellends (or any rank).
Its certainly beat the 10 pound "Mums gone to Iceland" Sqn christmas functions Ive been to.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Memories of noting xxxx young officer has done something stupid and made a "voluntary" contribution to battery funds. A small slush fund smooths life

I think every CO in the RLC forced his Seniors/officers to wear it when on duty and for some really ******* weird reason once a week, everyone over the rank of Sgt had to wear barrack dress for no apparent reason (with paid for belt)

It was varying ranks, although obviously you had to be classed as a "good lad" to be invited.
The only differences I could see, was there was no bullshit, there was a choice (if you wanted to go or not)and there were no bellends (or any rank).
Its certainly beat the 10 pound "Mums gone to Iceland" Sqn christmas functions Ive been to.
Great. Mates weekends away are awesome.

They’re different to the enforced fun social for the platoon/coy. Just because you did not enjoy them does not mean that they did not hold utility.

It would be better to raise the money other ways.

We had weekends in the Netherlands and one in Disneyland Paris at Sqn level. And this was over a decade ago.
Not all soldiers are mongs who need to someone desperate for an SJAR/OJAR moment to organise a crap cheap as cheap function.
I cant remember the name of the Bootie who died in Afghanistan, who left money for his mates to go to Vegas (it made the papers), but on his Repat they spoke of him organizing the trip for him and his mate, phoning America while on tour to get prices of hire vehicles.
Ive done Nijmegan 3 times, Ive also done other IML marches ranging from 2 to 5 night out of bed in Denmark, England, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Belgium and Italy without paying into a sqn/reg fund.
The world has moved on, yet the Army still lives in the past.
I had weekends in NL and Disneyland Paris at my own expense. These were not the same as going out as a troop for enforced but good fun. There were a lot of good blokes that were pads, that wouldn't go on a lads weekend but will turn up on a Tp function. I think the word is inclusion. I think your lack of experience in the Army prevents you from seeing the value of such funds.

I had weekends in NL and Disneyland Paris at my own expense. These were not the same as going out as a troop for enforced but good fun. There were a lot of good blokes that were pads, that wouldn't go on a lads weekend but will turn up on a Tp function. I think the word is inclusion. I think your lack of experience in the Army prevents you from seeing the value of such funds.
Following that logic, if there is a military value to such funds, then surely the funding should come out of the Defence Budget?

Following that logic, if there is a military value to such funds, then surely the funding should come out of the Defence Budget?
But the reality is that it can't. I can't think of (my lack of personal experience) anything that has been solely funded by service means. Sporting trips to the States for a couple of hundred quid yes, free no.

Great. Mates weekends away are awesome.

They’re different to the enforced fun social for the platoon/coy. Just because you did not enjoy them does not mean that they did not hold utility.

It would be better to raise the money other ways.
Lets be honest, we tend to have them because we always have.

It wasnt always "mates" different ranks were there on occasion, we just didnt have to put up with penises.

Plenty of Pads came with us, we also took a pads wife and 2 brats with us to Disneyland.
We could have a Tp function without having to pay into a fund.

As per usual you are trying to justify theft from soldiers.

You said earlier

@stacker1 is over exaggerating the extent of the idiocy here, these incidents are in isolation and to say that lying to extort money is rife simply isn’t true.
I don’t agree with your Soldier Magazine comment, the complainant is generally rebuffed by some Lt Col Retd with be real answer.
Now there seems to be several people backing me, including post 6154 by Sarastro . Would you like to claim they are all exaggerating as well?

Everyone else on the planet can organise a Tp function without stealing from the soldiers yet you seem incapable of doing so? Why is that?

Everyone else on the planet can organise a Tp function without stealing from the soldiers yet you seem incapable of doing so? Why is that?
I've told you a 1000 times stop exaggerating. You're talking shit and the Army I am still in is a better place without your poisonous bollocks.

I've told you a 1000 times stop exaggerating. You're talking shit and the Army I am still in is a better place without your poisonous bollocks.
So to clarify when you said earlier I was exaggerating about the Army stealing from its soldiers, you were lying?
You also cant organise the most basic of functions without stealing from your soldiers.
You are an embarrassment.

Don't worry the MOD has a grip on the important matters. A MOD spokesperson has apologised for regiments telling soldiers to carry a housewife (sewing kit) with them , there was a cringeworthy wringing of hands at such a sexist term.
If it had been pronounced in the traditional army manner, it would have been 'huzzif' and no one would have been any the wiser.

Personally I like the signs that you see displayed outside pubs, restaurants and the like, which say, "Free WiFi".
In my head they say, "Free wifey".

Lets be honest, we tend to have them because we always have.

It wasnt always "mates" different ranks were there on occasion, we just didnt have to put up with penises.
Or it is because pretty much every organisation has enforced fun social events.

Latest Threads