Army Numbers Fall Again

This is the one thing I’ve disagreed with so far. You’d be surprised how often businesses take a similar approach to the army; promote out of harms way and/or hope they leave of their own accord.
Or just leave them in the job and leave their immediate reports to work round the problem. One of the reasons I went self employed/contracting was I was sure I was doing 40% of my bosses job and 25% of another director's job, while they held pointless meetings to make themselves look busy.

Right mate, because clearly you need some mentoring, let me explain how it should have gone using my example above. Of lads wearing shirts tucked in while in Afghanistan.
Brigadier big bollocks decides that looking smart is going to win the battle. His officers below him should have been fighting for their blokes and saying what a ******* stupid idea it was. Now lets assume either they did but he still thought it was the right thing to do or they didn't because they don't actually give a **** about their soldiers welfare. After a week brigadier big bollocks might have noticed that far from winning the war its having a detrimental effect on morale, cost and operational effectiveness, at which point he says "I fucked up there didn't I? Let's go back to the way we were doing it"

Only that never happened.
Interesting story. The majority of bullshit I was party to was from WO1s, the tailored hat incident comes to mind. Anyway back to your example, how would information from the morale meter make its way back up to the 1* or 2* to sack him? Unless there was a heat related incident what’s going to happen?

If you cost a company money they generally do not let you keep losing that company money. If they did they would go bankrupt and there wouldn't be a company.
Three people so far have told you that this isn’t necessarily the case, maybe there is a possibility that you are wrong, seeing that you’ve only been a civvy to about five minutes.

Last edited:
It isn't, on civvie street management would get the sack if their shit decisions impacted negatively on the business
That’s bollocks. You can’t sack people for making “shit decisions”. They’d have to go through a restoring efficiency program otherwise you’d be in a Tribunal pretty quickly.

Equally you’re chippy digging at commissioned officers is bollocks too. Most of the disciplinary minutiae that you rail against originates amongst WOs. I never met a CO who had more than a passing interest in the Corporals Mess.

I also seriously doubt any senior officer gave a specific order about shirts on or out. It’s not how mission command works.

Mr_Relaxed

War Hero
If you cost a company money they generally do not let you keep losing that company money. If they did they would go bankrupt and there wouldn't be a company.
At a senior level, yes, I've been present when an MD was told his services were being dispensed with before there was no company.

But at a junior level? Sometimes you pay to make them go away, but quite often you move them into something that is less harmful. A number of years ago I worked for a large constructions materials company with a Head Office that was full of failed branch managers.

That’s bollocks. You can’t sack people for making “shit decisions”. They’d have to go through a restoring efficiency program otherwise you’d be in a Tribunal pretty quickly.

Equally you’re chippy digging at commissioned officers is bollocks too. Most of the disciplinary minutiae that you rail against originates amongst WOs. I never met a CO who had more than a passing interest in the Corporals Mess.

I also seriously doubt any senior officer gave a specific order about shirts on or out. It’s not how mission command works.
It's a good thing I didn't say shit decisions I said shit decisions that impact negatively on the business. I also reckon that an ******** manager who threatens his employees with debt collectors will be out on his arse pretty quick.
I would have thought a big shot businessman like yourself would know that. Do many businesses just allow their employees to constantly lose them money?

I also would have thought a supposed ex officer would know a CO is in charge of WOs. He supposed to the boss.

I couldn't give a **** what you seriously doubt, that's what happened. Who the **** else do you think gave the order.

At a senior level, yes, I've been present when an MD was told his services were being dispensed with before there was no company.

But at a junior level? Sometimes you pay to make them go away, but quite often you move them into something that is less harmful. A number of years ago I worked for a large constructions materials company with a Head Office that was full of failed branch managers.
Senior level being in charge of say 600 employees?

Three people so far have told you that this isn’t necessarily the case, maybe there is a possibility that you are wrong, seeing that you’ve only been a civvy to about five minutes.
Yeah that's right I am civvie despite all the lies previously put on here about how hard I'll find it. it's a piece of piss compared to the army. My boss doesn't give a shit whether I shave or not for example.

Interesting story. The majority of bullshit I was party to was from WO1s, the tailored hat incident comes to mind. Anyway back to your example, how would information from the morale meter make its way back up to the 1* or 2* to sack him? Unless there was a heat related incident what’s going to happen?
Sorry I'm confused in the Army that I was part of, officers were in charge of WO1 is it not the same in your part?
There were several heat related incident, you got half a dozen on repats alone. Never mind eh, it will take a death before someone does something.

Yeah that's right I am civvie despite all the lies previously put on here about how hard I'll find it. it's a piece of piss compared to the army. My boss doesn't give a shit whether I shave or not for example.
Stats say it’s downhill after six months so keep pissing it, you’ve six months to go

Sorry I'm confused in the Army that I was part of, officers were in charge of WO1 is it not the same in your part?
There were several heat related incident, you got half a dozen on repats alone. Never mind eh, it will take a death before someone does something.
You’re not actually answering anything are you? You’ve got a shit idea, with no idea how to implement other than one bloke says to another “here’s a Regiment, we’ll come back in two years, if you **** it up you’re out”. It’s the usual anti Officer drivel with no substance behind it. If the RSM isn’t briefing everything up, the CO is unlikely to know what he’s done, same for SSM, Tp SSgt...

Last edited:
As opposed to the complex network of devious senior officers spending their working day to conspiring together to make soldiers lives difficult, yes it was probably isolated.
Devious? No. Bellends who aren't held accountable for their moronic actions? Yes.

Stats say it’s downhill after six months so keep pissing it, you’ve six months to go
Wrong, my 6 months is at the end of the month. My boss hasnt asked me to pay for clothing that that has the firms logo on it yet.

You’re not actually answering anything are you? You’ve got a shit idea, with no idea how to implement other than one bloke says to another “here’s a Regiment, we’ll come back in two years, if you **** it up you’re out”. It’s the usual anti Officer drivel with no substance behind it. If the RSM isn’t briefing everything up, the CO is unlikely to know what he’s done, same for SSM, Tp SSgt...
Jesus wept and well he might.
I mentioned a decent CO called McHanty earlier. Now I cant believe I actually have to tell someone on a loosely themed military website this amazing secret of his.

He used to have all the toms in a side room (we didn't have a lecture theatre) every now and again. Initially it was just him, it was highly amusing the first time he asked the RSM to leave, later on he had a Sgt from the AGC stay to take any notes. He then did this super secret thing of asking his soldiers how they were and what their gripes were. I know, I know, it will never catch on, a CO actually bothering his arse to look after his men, what he should have done was trash the regiment and blamed his WOs for it.

I know, I know, it will never catch on, a CO actually bothering his arse to look after his men, what he should have done was trash the regiment and blamed his WOs for it.
Whilst his actions appear commendable, if that’s all you want from a CO, you’re very easily pleased.

Whilst his actions appear commendable, if that’s all you want from a CO, you’re very easily pleased.
A CO who looks after his blokes rather than blame WOs for the state of his regiment?
Yeah it is a lot to ask.

Latest Threads