Army Number

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by slopsjon, Apr 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I joined in 1979 and and my number began with 24, what years did the first two numbers change i.e. when did 28 start and end.

I ask because I know someone who claims to be ex para who has constantly refused to state his number but the other day quoted his number 28**** but would'nt say the last two and would'nt say why.

Regards
    John

2. Cow

Cow LE

28! Wow, he's from the future...

2512XXXX was the last number's coming to my unit before I got out last year.

3. I don't think 28 numbers have started yet. All will become clear by the power of ARRSE!

4. We are no-where near 2 yet. Latest Ive heard was 252*****

5. I can't imagine 28 numbers have started yet either. If slopshon joined in '79 and had a 24 number, and I joined in 1966 and my first four are 2406, it means that this geezer either really is from the future, or he's a fückin' Walt.

MsG

6. I think that 49 Para have numbers starting with 28.

7. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Guys currently going through Phase 2 at my location are now into 252xxxxx.

Your 28xxxxxx bloke is either a liar, a walt, a simpleton, or all three.

8. 2427 mine from 72

9. I joined 'brats' in 1975 and my first four .......... 2436 ...... but strangely my elder brother joined a year before me, his first four....... 2437...... aint got a clue on the 28 scenario but, going on simple mathematics it would mean that over 3.5 million people have joined up since me.......start asking his Parachute Regiment service history, I'm sure there are a few experts about to feed you decent searching questions......'out the walt'.

10. how old would he have to be an ex officer with a 28 number?

11. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

He'd probably have to know Cromwell personally

12. However, a lad I knew joined the army, lets call him smudger and had his army number learned as 225*****

The conversation went like this:

ME: Mate, 225 isn't your service number

SMUDGE: It is

ME: It ******* isn't, my Grandads is 225, Centurion was a rank etc etc.

SMUDGE: Oh......

Turns out, it was a misprint on his docs. So these things are not unheard of. He probably is a walt though!.

Prae

13. Was that when Centurion was a rank not a tank?

Sorry getting my coat..............

14. Yours is the one with the dribble and ice cream down it.

15. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

In those days, you didn't have a number - everyone knew each other