Army number "wrong"

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Firefighter9, Nov 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Just been told that my army number is going to be a letter and 4 digits.
    i.e "C1234"

    This is because I was in the ACF as part of my Public Services college course about 5 years ago. Due to being over 18 at the time I was apparently issued an army number of the type issued to ACF Instructors
    (despite having been a student)

    I know in the grand scheme of things, it shouldn't really matter, however I was quite looking forward to getting an 8 digit proper number and really don't want to be stuck with a "C" prefix for my entire career!

    My question is, does anyone know of this happening, and can I get a "real" army number? Failing that, am I going to have to explain to every posting I get that yes I am a regular soldier and should be here on the All Arms Pan Washing Course etc...

    Thanks all
    (mod not sure if best suited to here or RHQ, please move if not appropriate, ta)
  2. wedge_cadman

    wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

    You're getting that type of number as at some point you've been entered onto the JPA system and that's your number. Live with it

    I'm stuck with mine and i wanted my old number back
  3. Roman numerals aren't accepted by JPA. ; )
  4. Right. At least I know now. Thanks.
  5. A "C" number should have 5 digits as a suffix
  6. Just looked at my enlistment paper. Yes it's 5 digits.
  7. maninblack

    maninblack LE Book Reviewer

    C***** are pay roll numbers from the MOD they are not regimental numbers.
  8. Maninblack, excuse my ignorance, is the 8 digit number a regimental number?
  9. no such thing as a regimental number ;)
  10. I suggest you speak to your Recruiter and get the correct will be given an 8 digit SERVICE number. As said above JPA only accepts Digits so unless your doing it voluntary????
  11. wedge_cadman

    wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

    the C12345 numbers are given to cadet instructors/adults, these are then used by the JPA system as your pay number. On re-enlisting recently my old 8 digit Service number is on the system but unusable as I left before the introduction of JPA. I can't be registered on JPA twice therefore my shiny new C12345 number is used for me, including ID card.
  12. wedge_cadman is correct
    Once you are on JPA that is your number
    likewise if regulars/ta leave then join the acf they keep their original number and dont get a new C number/3000 n umber
  13. Wedge, thanks for putting it in layman's terms. That makes sense.

    Iron, it is my recruiter that this info has come from. He told me that my C12345 number is now my "army number". I'm taking my oath tomorrow so will double check with him again.
  14. Obvious, innit. In roman numerals C = 500. So with a 5-digit suffix, it would make 8 digits, so just change you number to 500xxxxx
  15. Yes but as he said on his initial post, he has never been an Cadet Instructor/soldier...he was a student on a public services course. When he is allocated a place he has never served as Regular/reserve/ftrs/Adult Instructor which are inputted on TRHJ Previous and current service details so he should be given a new service number by MCM/RG and details have been wrongly inputted IMHO.