ARMY NET - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Burst_Disk, Nov 2, 2006.

?
  1. Yes

61.3%
  2. No

4.8%
  3. Never Used It

27.4%
  4. Not bothered

6.5%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mods - Not sure if this belongs here, please re-direct if not.

No doubt many of you that are serving in the Army will have used ARMY NET but there will be some that don't even know that they can log on and have an account. If you haven't ever logged on then click the linkARMY NET to start using it.

I would like to conduct some research into the functionality of ARMY NET. I'd like to hear your views good or bad. In particular answers to the following questions would be a good start.

1. Have you actually logged on and used ARMY NET?

2. What would you like to see on ARMY NET?

3. What would you like to do on ARMY NET?

4. Do you currently use ARMY NET as you email account? If not why not - what would make you change your mind?

5. If you could still use your account (with certain security restrictions) after you have left the service would you continue to use it? If yes, what would you still like to be able to do?

You don't have to answer every question, just your views would be good.

Many thanks

B_D

2. Army net is a good idea - the presentation is confusing.

Finding my pay statement takes ages.

The colour scheme is bonk.

Trying to get in is an utter nightmare.

Half the info is crap and old and oh why bother - why don't they get people in who can actually do a website - a 12 year old has done better!

I would like to use the email facility but what happens when I leave???? Why couldn't their be a proviso to keep it???

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Can ArmyNet be used by Ex Regs or must you have a sponsor?

4. It has improved recently, the fun section is a welcome addition.

5. I've been out since '99 & I can login / access email etc...

TTFN

BFG

6. Jesus, I used to go on roughly once every month. I 've just tried to relogon and I can't remember my memorable word.

Who on earth adivsed such a b*llocks security system as that, I'm tempted to not log on as the security questions its asking me make me very concerned about my own security (identity theft etc).

I'd even be tempted at banning that site if I had a responsibility for military IT security.

7. I use it, it works well enough.

8. msr

msr LE

If only they would post TA Regs in a usable format (e.g.PDF).

msr

9. I do like the way some ARRSE posters post on there - it gives me confidence in the system

10. Navigation is still a bit of a 'mare.

More training videos and Powerpoint lessons would be good too.

11. It is useful when deployed for access to pay information as well as promotion and appointment boards but the layout and seach facilities could be considerably enhanced.

Also there are considerable gaps in the available information on there significantly including email/contact details for a number of the MCMs.

12. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Simple answer: create an interface with the JPA system and Armynet will take on a whole new life, otherwise I suspect it will eventually wither and die.

13. B_D.

I use ArmyNet a few times each month - usually when my pay statement has gone AWOL (again) (between posting, between RAO REAR and RAO FWD….). I also find it the best way to get sight of MS info when the J1 chain is broken. Never use the e-mail as I have too many other accounts already. The new login is dire. I sit at my terminal counting of the letters of the memorable word on my fingers!!! What was wrong with the old system? Access to JPA is a MUST.

14. I think on the whole it is good. The security login is a bit of a mare though. But once you are in, it's OK. It's 1 mouse click to get your pay statement. Some of the info on the Arms & Directorates is old, but I suspect that is the relevant A&D's problem, not ArmyNet's. The e-mail is cracking as you can use it on DII, which blocks most other webmail services. It's improving, and saw a presentation by some Army Net guy on a course i was on, and the potential seems great.

15. Thank you for your replies so far. Please keep them coming. ArmyNET should be easy to use and fun. Summarising so far I can see the following areas need to be worked on:

An interface with JPA - maybe you would like JPA to automatically update information held about you on ArmyNET and vice versa.

Easier consumer interface - i.e. what you see and how you deal with the site.

More robust but simpler sign in processes - if that is not a paradox?

User friendly reader formatted pages.

As for being able to use the service after one has left - it seems as though a few of you (at least one has posted) can still use the service even though you have been out for some years? I am not sure this is meant ot happen at the moment.

Thanks

B_D