"Army needs lad culture, so soldiers go and fight the enemy," said General Sir Nick Carter.

To be fair I always thought that Frank was a lying b*stard. And this was decades before the internet.

Before or after you joined up?

The last national serviceman left in 1963.
I met a number of old, bold R Signals officers in the mid 80s who told me a different story, but they were rare breeds, so HM was reluctant to lose them.

The vast bulk of National Servicemen were discharged as you say . . . . and then we embarked on Harold Wilson's withdrawal from East Of Suez.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
I always thought that blokes in Cavalry regiments were a bit more educated and sophisticated than the average grunt in a rifle company with a much higher pass mark to get into the RAC. From what you say the RTR seemed to be very different. Is that why they were called the peoples cavalry?
Fcuking Cav horse fiddlers…… RTR was nothing like Cav in my day with the Regiment, we were called Chav Cav, poor mans cavalry etc, we are nothing to do with Cav, we are Tankies, and bloody proud of being so. No chinless wonders I charge (again, not in my time with the colours), and we always felt we were different, as we came from a totally different background than th donkey walloppers. No disrespect to any Cav on here, but RTR were/are most definitely not Cav, we are just grunts with lots of armour around us, and those of us who spent most of our time in Recce, just grunts with a bit less armour…………and the odd brain cell here and there as well, not many mind:p

Proff3RTR

War Hero
I once spoke to an RTR bloke who said that the RTR is to the Cavalry what the Paras are to the Infantry.

An interesting viewpoint. I have no idea if it had any merit.
Could not of said it better myself, the Cav are always jealous of the MiB.

Fcuking Cav horse fiddlers…… RTR was nothing like Cav in my day with the Regiment, we were called Chav Cav, poor mans cavalry etc, we are nothing to do with Cav, we are Tankies, and bloody proud of being so. No chinless wonders I charge (again, not in my time with the colours), and we always felt we were different, as we came from a totally different background than th donkey walloppers. No disrespect to any Cav on here, but RTR were/are most definitely not Cav, we are just grunts with lots of armour around us, and those of us who spent most of our time in Recce, just grunts with a bit less armour…………and the odd brain cell here and there as well, not many mind:p
I can't see why the Army doesn't have all the MBT regiments as RTR and keep it that way. I think there are only three Challenger Regiments left. Re-raise 2 RTR and 3 RTR. Put the remaining Cavalry regiments into Recce/Light Cav and call them Royal Dragons, Royal Lancers, Royal Hussars etc.

Before or after you joined up?
Probably after I joined. There were so many of them. The Tankie crew sitting on the deck of their Chieften cooking scoff with the sergeant saying " I get £40 a week and that buys me a lot of smarties."

Billy Connolly summed it up with his excellent ballad of the young Jock soldier lying in bed with a bullet in his head after being shot in Ulster wondering how he got there as he only joined because the recruiting sgt said he would be able to do lots of canoeing.

Last edited:

Proff3RTR

War Hero
I can't see why the Army doesn't have all the MBT regiments as RTR and keep it that way. I think there are only three Challenger Regiments left. Re-raise 2 RTR and 3 RTR. Put the remaining Cavalry regiments into Recce/Light Cav and call them Royal Dragons, Royal Lancers, Royal Hussars etc.
In all honesty I have always thought that, the RTR were the original Tank soldiers in the RTC during WW1. But way above our pay grade that one.

To be fair I always thought that Frank was a lying b*stard. And this was decades before the internet.
Lmfao, I agree totally and it was before "Frank" pitched up. Walk past the ACIO and all you could see was pics of people skiing and windsurfing, two or three!!!! sausages, guys looking like they had just come off the set of Predator with the Rifle of Champions.
Next thing you are sat there with a "bumper book" of which is heavier, a tank or a box of feathers and working out dominoes questions. After that, sign here, say this, £8.20 and a rail warrant. No windsurfing or skiing for about 2 years and then only after you had a dietary regime of one sausage, cold beans, cofftea and cheese made of a substance that apparently Musk and Bezos are working on but failing to achieve.

Latest Threads