ARMY MUM FURY AT BINMAN’S PAYOUT.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Sep 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

At least this binman still has a job,I wonder if he was off work on full pay?
    Opinions chaps?

http://express.co.uk/posts/view/130875/Army-mum-fury-at-binman-s-payout

2. Sadly we live in a society where if theirs blame theirs a claim.

And it's disgradeful that those serving their Country get lesser payouts!

3. "...a binman was awarded £57,000 in damages for injuring his knee..."

"...because he cannot raise his arms above his head..."

I'm no doctor, but that looks strange to me.

4. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

He also damaged his shoulder and elbow. Mind you, it doesn't make it clear whether both shoulders and elbows were damaged, or how badly. Or why a binman needs to raise his arms above his head. I would have thought that it would be quite tough, and possibly dangerous, to lift a wheelie bin that high.

5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

He needs full movement to scatter most of the rubbish all over the road and then to launch the empty bin three doors away on it's side from where he picked it up

6. He'll never get in the marines then.......

7. I cut my arrse hole on some sharp council loo roll this morning, in on of the council bogs, and all i could see were £££ sighns after i pulled the chain! :p

8. Jesus christ. Are we going to start lining the streets with bubble wrap because some clumsy **** forgets to put his arms out in front of him when he falls over?

If he is so physically frail that he nearly dies from one impact with the ground, maybe he should be doing a different job. One that involves staying inside a thick plastic bubble at all times.

9. I agree with Dianne, is bloody ridiculous. I work in housing and just after christmas last year we had an insurance claim against us after a lady walked into a pole outside the property she was visiting. This pole has been there since the property was built over 20 years ago and she has managed to miss it all the other times she has visited in the previous 6 years her friend has stayed there lol

Think they should ban the advertisements of "where there's blame, there's a claim"

Also makes me wonder that now he has his settlement as to whether he is more agile

10. I love the way the value of anything in the news gets compared to how much a soldier gets paid/receives in compensation/kit costs/new vehicles etc.

Now I'm not saying that the bin man deserved the payout but what the f*ck has it got to do with the compensation that a solider receives for sustaining an injury they are well aware of the risk of, doing what they are paid to do?

So yes, it's a ridiculous amount of money to be given for tripping over a pavement slab and banging your knee but any further comparison should not be made.

Edit to add - I am vehemently against the blame/claim culture though.

11. Please re-read your post.Then come back and apologise.

12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

It's got to do with the majority of injured servicemen & women will require month's,if not years,of therapy &,in some cases,round the clock care,re-homeing as their existing home may not be suitable anymore & a lot of things not covered by NHS or Private Health Insurance.

13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

On the other hand:

If ever there was a clear incentive for chaps to get themselves checked out in case of PTSD, this is it. For those fighting shy of going for a check-up, not only could you be diagnosed and then treated for the side effects of the conflicts you are involved in, you may actually see some recompense if your family or work life has suffered as a result.

Just a thought.

14. And the binman wasn't aware that he'd be walking up and down pavements all day long? FFS!

How long before the Elf and Safety folk have binmen trussed up with elbow and knee pads???

15. Nothing new here, aprt from the amount. There was a street in Belfast which had so many claims on it. (The uneven bits were over the magic limit where the council deems itself instantly liable) It became known as 'the golden mile'