• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Army menagerie of regimental mascots costs £12,000 a year

Value for money i would say!!! :D

More than £12,000 a year is spent by the Ministry of Defence and British regiments on two goats, two Shetland ponies and five other regimental mascots.

The largest single bill is £4,300 for two drum horses but food and veterinary care for two wolfhounds does not come cheap at £3,100 a year. The two regimental goats, by comparison, are much better value. They have an estimated cost of no more than £500 a year.

The regimental mascot bill is revealed in a letter from Adam Ingram, the defence minister, to Gordon Prentice, the Labour MP for Pendle.

Mr Prentice said he was not complaining about the expenditure but had had his curiosity aroused by seeing a regimental goat on television.

Apart from the dogs, goats and drum horses, the regimental team includes two Shetland ponies, one Indian black buck and one ram.

The ram costs £700 a year and the ponies £3,000, while the Indian black buck has a budget of about £700.

Mr Ingram made clear that not all the estimated £12,300 bill was met by the MoD as nearly all the animals were partly paid for by individual regimental funds.
[c]Telegraph.co.uk

49 Para's mascot is an elephant and that produces no end of shite.

This is contributed to by members of the regiment.

St John Walter (Corporal Retired)
Walter House
Walt-on-Thames
England

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And the costs for the horses the King's Troop and Mounted elements of the Household Division? A tad more than £12K I suspect.

Not saying do away with them (although there is nothing like a good horsemeat brokkie) but why do the pollies pick on some, very cheap, traditions when they have spent so much in getting rid of the Infantry traditions with FAS and FIS?

The cost of keeping the donkeys in Parliament for one week wont exceed the cost of the regimental mascots annual bill.

But how much did it cost them to answer the question?

I wonder what the response would be to a request release under Freedom of Information Act of:

"How much does it cost to answer this question?" :twisted: :twisted:

PB

Well if the Welsh can't have their goats then they have to revert back to sheep with the subsequent loss in productivity....the wolfhounds keep the Irish in check as they stagger back from the pubs in London and Belfast.

The Argylls and the Paras have Shetlands which are jolly useful for carrying things in battle (think organic LandRover)

It is all about morale. ....plus we've reduced the grass cutting bill by 50,000 annually so in fact the animals are cost effective!

Nell McAndrew and Katherine Jenkins worked out far too expensive for the boys

B

benjaminw1

theoriginalphantom said:
Cpl_ripper said:
How much does the PWO's ferrets cost? about a fiver?
Don't ask why, but I had to research that as part of a course, the regiment bears the cost of the uniform and feeding. uniform ffs, (a cap and jacket if memory serves)
Aww Bless!

I want to see a picture of this :D

B

benjaminw1

Hmm!

I was just thinking When MERCIAN stands up how will the Staffy get on with the Ram?

Interesting parades...

Latest Threads