Army menagerie of regimental mascots costs £12,000 a year

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Agent_Smith, May 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Value for money i would say!!! :D

[c]Telegraph.co.uk

2. Gets my goat. And completely barking too.
    Nay nay and thrice nay!

3. How much does the PWO's ferrets cost? about a fiver?

4. £12 K is is nothing, let 'em got on with it. (But why no sheep?????????????)

5. 49 Para's mascot is an elephant and that produces no end of shite.

This is contributed to by members of the regiment.

St John Walter (Corporal Retired)
    Walter House
    Walt-on-Thames
    England

6. Don't ask why, but I had to research that as part of a course, the regiment bears the cost of the uniform and feeding. uniform ffs, (a cap and jacket if memory serves)

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I think this is remarkably cheap, compared to the cost of New Labour's mascot, Piggy Prescott.

8. Mean bunch of gits, they will spend that per night on entertainment, but on a military mascot.....NEVER

9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

And the costs for the horses the King's Troop and Mounted elements of the Household Division? A tad more than £12K I suspect.

Not saying do away with them (although there is nothing like a good horsemeat brokkie) but why do the pollies pick on some, very cheap, traditions when they have spent so much in getting rid of the Infantry traditions with FAS and FIS?

The cost of keeping the donkeys in Parliament for one week wont exceed the cost of the regimental mascots annual bill.

10. But how much did it cost them to answer the question?

I wonder what the response would be to a request release under Freedom of Information Act of:

"How much does it cost to answer this question?" :twisted: :twisted:

PB

11. Well how much does it cost to keep one private for a year? I think it's more than that...and I know a few that aren't as usefull....

T C

12. Well if the Welsh can't have their goats then they have to revert back to sheep with the subsequent loss in productivity....the wolfhounds keep the Irish in check as they stagger back from the pubs in London and Belfast.

The Argylls and the Paras have Shetlands which are jolly useful for carrying things in battle (think organic LandRover)

It is all about morale. ....plus we've reduced the grass cutting bill by 50,000 annually so in fact the animals are cost effective!

Nell McAndrew and Katherine Jenkins worked out far too expensive for the boys

13. To cut costs all animals will be culled and made into ration packs, yummy sausages.

14. Blimey, I don't know where they're getting their vet treatment done. Our squadron hamster only cost a tenner!

15. Cant we use them for some form of animal research? Why send squaddies to Porton Down, just use the mascots. Makes sense to me