Army medics help Police officer (??)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by eveyoz, May 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7404185.stm

2. I know it must have been a terrifying experiance - the so-called "fans" were animals who deserved everything the police dished out - but am I the only one who was surprised none of his mates tried to pull him out of the kicking circle?

What I saw on the news was the coppers pulling back to avoid being overwhelmed. The unlucky chap slipped and was set on by Rangers fans like a pack of rabid dogs(I'm a Hun, but the behaviour of a minority of "the People" that night was indefensible). This must have been in full sight of the other coppers, but none tried to rescue him.

The thugs were cowards and I think even a few coppers rushing in, batons swinging, would have been enough to rescue thier mate.

3. You are probably right, about a quick baton charge - but I watched it on TV, and he was defnitely hanging back - trying to do his job - when the rest of his line withdrew - spontaneously, or on orders, I dunno. He didn't notice them going, and they didn't notice him staying. I doubt they even knew he had been down until after he'd been rescued.

Nor were the Old Bill kitted up for riots: no shields, visors, long batons (baton guns . . .) Shades of Broadwater Farm: he was lucky to get out alive.

And manning problems or not, if any squaddies are picked out as being part of that mob, they should be on the dole within 24 hours of being identified. Well done that young medic.

4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Wether its searching no mans land on the Somme for the injured, patching up guys on the front line in WWII, Korea,Iraq or Afghanistan or dragging a wounded copper out of harms way Army Medics have always been there and I can't think of a better bunch of blokes and lasses.

And the bonus army nurses put out :) the female ones anyway. you'll have to ask MDN about the blokes.

5. Thank God for small mercies; inspite of the old joke - football IS NOT more important than life or death. Bad enough the copper got a shoeing and a broken arm while only trying to do his job. :evil:

Seconded. Good Drills that medic.

6. Am I correct in believing only a Medic has ever won the VC and Bar?

7. Well done that medic!!!! 8)

I noticed those coppers kept running rather than helping their mucker! Twats

8. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

At the imperial war museum a few years ago they had an exhibit of the VC and GC. Precisely ONCE a second bar was awarded to an individual (durring WW2). Can't remember the guys name or unit, but he got shot up badly all three times. The second one was expected to be posthumous but he (somehow) survived and returned to service. The third one was posthumous though. I think there were two or three others who had been awarded a bar. Certainly one of them was a medic. Again, postumhous for the bar though.

9. Oi !! That's my missus you're talking about!!! ( . . . . and a number of her former colleagues . . . :D )

10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

On the dole, Tapping boards in Colly for a bloody year first more like. Then out on their Ar5e.

11. Frank Castle, Why did you have to call yourself a hun, instead of a Rangers fan. Were not interested in your religon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

12. Well done to the army lads.

Slimjim your a little harsh, if they knew their colleague had gone down they would have gone back to help I'm sure. Thay were probably ordered to withdraw and the Pc never heard the order, unfortunately the confusion of a public order situation took over and he got seperated and that resulted in a kicking.

13. You're probably thinking of Noel Chavasse VC and Bar. There have been others though.

Here you go:
    http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/two_vcs.htm

14. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

There have been three:

Surgeon Captain Arthur Martin-Leake
    Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse
    2Lt Charles Upham

VC and Bar recipients