Army medics face eviction

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Forastero, Apr 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

A real morale winner perhaps. In essence, those doctors that have graduated med school but not yet attended RMAS (but are wearing the uniform) are not considered to be commissioned and therefore ineligible for service accommodation. Those currently in SSSA for example will have to move out and pay market rates for accommodation but I'm not sure how this squares with mess accomodation although I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to pay £1k a month to live in a mess. Interestingly, the RN oppose this wholeheartedly and will not force their foundation docs out of their current arrangements.

Whatever the reasoning I think it's reprehensible and extremely shortsighted, a fine message to send to those that we may have sponsored as cadets and as for Investing In People, what can you say?!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7094304.ece

2. msr

msr LE

Can they not be put on a TA PQO course to get round this?

msr

3. If you don't laugh you would cry.

NHS Trusts are offering free accomodation to Junior Doctors to try and get them in due to the national shortage.

Meanwhile the Army, who are vastly undermanned, are kicking them out? OK, these ones are tied into a service commitment, but if this becomes the norm, you can bet sponsorhip becomes a less attractive option.

Seems about right for the MoD to try and weasle there way out of a traditional obligation. Perhaps they expect someone to set up a new charity to sort it out for them?

Shall I register the name Homes4NearlyHeros now?

4. Dont panic! According to the article :

"The MoD said that it was reviewing the issue." so that will make it all better.

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

5. Another example of penny pinching neglible amounts with the consequence of losing or putting off some great guys and girls who are coming into the Army. Surely we could economise elsewhere. I bet the sums saved are fairly paltry. This is appauling G1

6. Another example of penny pinching neglible amounts with the consequence of losing or putting off some great guys and girls who are coming into the Army. Surely we could economise elsewhere. I bet the sums saved are fairly paltry. This is appauling G1

7. Is this issue on an annual rotation, I recall seeing it being discussed before

The senior service generally has a better/more grown up approach to HR than perce. See fat bint signaller pay out for how not to handle your people

Digressing a bit. from talking to various "senior service ranks" who have hung around Blanford for various reasons the treatment of "so called" adults is fecking appaling, with no one being trusted to wipe their own arrses or make even low level executive calls

8. Those poor 'special' people.

9. I shall write to my MP immediately!

10. So these people are paid by the Army, been told where to work by the Army, been ordered to wear the uniform of an Army officer, have a commissioning scroll, are subject to military law, but are not in the Army when it comes to the benefits of being in the service.

It's a good job we're not short of doctors or have a retention problem....

11. I'm sure there's small print! and I'm sure it's not as clear cut as some people would make it out to be.

I don't know much about the Gold Standard but I do like Kittens.

12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The point about the people affected by this is that they don't have a commissioning scroll. They do their house jobs before Dartmouth/Sandhurst/Cranwell. As I understand it, they aren't 'proper' members of the armed forces and that's why they aren't entitled to Mess accommodation.

13. Those dear sweet fragile special things...

14. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

And yet the Army effectively trains them through a cadetship, employs them, clothes them in a green skin and places them. It's also fairly swift to discipline if necessary and yet refuses to house them. Nice!

15. Are the very people who'll be looking after the sick and wounded tomorrow.
    Medical Officer recruitment is difficult enough without freezing pay and kicking them out of accommodation.
    It's as much about the effect such a move will have on future recruitment as it is about how we treat those who have already agreed to serve.