Army Medal Office closes

Discussion in 'Medals' started by Acid_Tin, Apr 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that this has been on the cards for ages:

1912? Is it any wonder that we have people wandering around the Army waiting for medals? :D

Incidentally, the new MoD Medal Office at RAF Innsworth was opened last month:

Sure it will.

2. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

For those that are still struggling with the Medal Office, their new address is:

MOD Medal Office (Army),
    Bldg 250,
    RAF Innsworth,
    GLOUCESTER.
    GL3 1HW.

3. Can't wait. As it is run by the RAF does this mean that we will get a letter telling us that we will get a medal but that we will have to wait in the departure lounge for 6 months first. Also will all medals now have 512872, 'scuse the rank, jackson stamped around the rim?

4. Thanks, Calypso & Cuts.

It's damned strange that after all the whinging (including from myself!) there still hasnt been a rush of delighted arrse members reporting the arrival of their long-awaited gongs.

Oh, apart from that chap who said all the RAF seem to have their TELIC medals...

If only Mr Caplin had added that the medals will be distributed in "early February", then we would have known exactly how much faith to place on it. :wink:

5. LOLOLOL

I understand that, to streamline the medal production process, the rank will be "Passenger X"

6. Wait out for

"Easy Medals"

and

"Virgin Medals"

:twisted: :lol:

7. If it makes you chaps feel any better, this Crab is still waiting for his Afghan OSM (initially qualified in late 01) and TELIC 1(with clasp) gongs! Most of the RAF AWACS and SIGINT aircrew are in the same position as far as I know.

Regards,
    M2

8. What is the appearance "quality" of medals from this new process?

9. Aparrently you will have to turn up for your tour 2 months before you are due to deploy too!

10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Surely the Medals stil going to be made in the same place? I presume that they are - and always have been - made by a commercial firm, and sent to the Medals Office for stamping and distribution?

If so, there should be no loss in quality to the medals themselves.

11. That would make sense OS, I just had the impression that this new Office would also be producing the medals.
    Laser (engraving) would be used instead of stamping for award ID marking.

12. I noted that the SAC up on murder charges appeared in court wearing "an Iraq Service Medal (sic)"....fast work crab medal wallahs!

13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Do we have an elusive civvy phone number?

14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I did have, and in true fcukwit style I wrote it on the back of an envelope. :oops:

Let me have a ferkle around & I'll dig it up again.

15. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Bugger