Army Medal Office closes

I know that this has been on the cards for ages:

Army Medal Office at Droitwich Closes After 59 Years
01/04/2005

The Army Medal Office was closed on 23 March 2005 after 59 years service at Droitwich. A medal office has been in existence since the institution of the very first medal, for the Battle of Waterloo, in 1815.

Medal production has now been taken over by the newly formed MOD Medal Office at RAF Innsworth, Gloucestershire, which will produce medals for all three Armed Services, using modern, computerised equipment.

The closing ceremony, attended by Major General Timothy Tyler, the Deputy Adjutant General, started at 3.45 pm. It comprised a formal flag lowering by two of the longest-serving civilian members of staff (Michale Neale and Heather Sanders), watched by their colleagues. An Army bugler played the Last Post.

In addition, the final medal to be produced at the Army Medal Office was ceremoniously pressed by a stamping machine that was made in 1912. A display of historical medals and the records of some famous personalities were also on show.

It is estimated that the Army Medal Office has issued some 2 million awards, including medals for Korea, Suez, Malaya, the Falklands, East Timor and many other campaigns.
1912? Is it any wonder that we have people wandering around the Army waiting for medals? :D

Incidentally, the new MoD Medal Office at RAF Innsworth was opened last month:

The new MoD medals office was opened by Veterans' Minister, Ivor Caplin MP, at RAF Innsworth today. The centre is the latest of a range of measures to revolutionise the way medals are issued and speed up delivery.

This significant investment in personnel, laser cutting and computer technology has already led to a substantial reduction in the historic backlog of medals and underlines the priority MoD attaches to the prompt delivery of medals to veterans, their relatives and serving personnel.

The new Suez Canal Zone and Iraq medals have led to unprecedented demand with 113,358 applications since April 2004 with a record
110,821 medals issued. At the same time the simultaneous running of the old and new medals offices has helped significantly reduce the backlog of medals.

Veterans Kenneth Wheatley (ex Royal Signals) and Eric Little (Ex RAF) were on hand to receive their Canal Zone medals fresh from the production line from Ivor Caplin.

Mr Caplin said:

"It is always a privilege to meet and talk to the extraordinary men and women who fought for the interests of our country. By opening this state of the art new facility we will transform the MoD's medals issuing process. The prompt delivery of medals to service people, veterans and their families is a priority for MoD - this new investment underlines that commitment."

"Despite unprecedented demand for medals, our modern engraving techniques and a new computer system have already made huge inroads into the historic backlog. This MoD wide system will reduce duplication of effort and continue that progress."
Sure it will.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
For those that are still struggling with the Medal Office, their new address is:

MOD Medal Office (Army),
Bldg 250,
RAF Innsworth,
GLOUCESTER.
GL3 1HW.

Can't wait. As it is run by the RAF does this mean that we will get a letter telling us that we will get a medal but that we will have to wait in the departure lounge for 6 months first. Also will all medals now have 512872, 'scuse the rank, jackson stamped around the rim?

Thanks, Calypso & Cuts.

It's damned strange that after all the whinging (including from myself!) there still hasnt been a rush of delighted arrse members reporting the arrival of their long-awaited gongs.

Oh, apart from that chap who said all the RAF seem to have their TELIC medals...

If only Mr Caplin had added that the medals will be distributed in "early February", then we would have known exactly how much faith to place on it. :wink:

lunchy_bunsworth said:
Can't wait. As it is run by the RAF does this mean that we will get a letter telling us that we will get a medal but that we will have to wait in the departure lounge for 6 months first. Also will all medals now have 512872, 'scuse the rank, jackson stamped around the rim?
LOLOLOL

I understand that, to streamline the medal production process, the rank will be "Passenger X"

If it makes you chaps feel any better, this Crab is still waiting for his Afghan OSM (initially qualified in late 01) and TELIC 1(with clasp) gongs! Most of the RAF AWACS and SIGINT aircrew are in the same position as far as I know.

Regards,
M2

hackle said:
lunchy_bunsworth said:
LOLOLOL

I understand that, to streamline the medal production process, the rank will be "Passenger X"
Aparrently you will have to turn up for your tour 2 months before you are due to deploy too!

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Surely the Medals stil going to be made in the same place? I presume that they are - and always have been - made by a commercial firm, and sent to the Medals Office for stamping and distribution?

If so, there should be no loss in quality to the medals themselves.

That would make sense OS, I just had the impression that this new Office would also be producing the medals.
Laser (engraving) would be used instead of stamping for award ID marking.

hackle said:
Thanks, Calypso & Cuts.

It's damned strange that after all the whinging (including from myself!) there still hasnt been a rush of delighted arrse members reporting the arrival of their long-awaited gongs.

Oh, apart from that chap who said all the RAF seem to have their TELIC medals...

If only Mr Caplin had added that the medals will be distributed in "early February", then we would have known exactly how much faith to place on it. :wink:
I noted that the SAC up on murder charges appeared in court wearing "an Iraq Service Medal (sic)"....fast work crab medal wallahs!

Ventress

LE
Cutaway said:
For those that are still struggling with the Medal Office, their new address is:

MOD Medal Office (Army),
Bldg 250,
RAF Innsworth,
GLOUCESTER.
GL3 1HW.
Do we have an elusive civvy phone number?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ventress said:
Cutaway said:

MOD Medal Office (Army),
Bldg 250,
RAF Innsworth,
GLOUCESTER.
GL3 1HW.
I did have, and in true fcukwit style I wrote it on the back of an envelope. :oops:

Let me have a ferkle around & I'll dig it up again.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ventress said:
Cutaway said:

MOD Medal Office (Army),
Bldg 250,
RAF Innsworth,
GLOUCESTER.
GL3 1HW.
Found it !

01452 712 612
This is for RAF Innsworth, you'll hear a bloody recorded message telling you to "enter the extension you require or hold for an operator." (Obviously THEY are manning the phones there !)

Try these:

7335 - Current
7336 - Current
7501 - Historical
8149 - 'Help' Desk
8200 - 'Help' Desk
7436 - Some department of the AMO I've forgotten.

For those on MilNet the number is 95471 followed by the extension number.

"If it makes you chaps feel any better, this Crab is still waiting for his Afghan OSM (initially qualified in late 01) and TELIC 1(with clasp) gongs!"

You think thats tough. I have been waiting 43 years for a (1963) CSM Borneo clasp gong. The Navy medals office, sent me a letter on 24th November 2004 saying I would get the gong in two to three months.

Still hasn't arrived.

From the Veterans Agency site;

"The MOD Medal Office enquiry line is:

Tel: 01452 712612 ext 8149"

...still waiting on my grandfather's Suez medal...

Latest Threads