• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Army Male Nurses & Proffessional Qualifications.

Possibly a quesion that has been asked and answered before - but when were qualified Male SRN nurses in the Army Medical Services offered commisions the same as QUARANC SRN qualified nurses. Are proffessionally qualiffied Radiographers and Pharmacists who join the Military Medical Services (all three armed services) also offered commsions if they pass a selection board?

Possibly a quesion that has been asked and answered before - but when were qualified Male SRN nurses in the Army Medical Services offered commisions the same as QUARANC SRN qualified nurses. Are proffessionally qualiffied Radiographers and Pharmacists who join the Military Medical Services (all three armed services) also offered commsions if they pass a selection board?

Not sure about the first part but as to the second part, yes they do. They go through the PQ AOSB process, doesn’t differ in content or phys standards from the main board although there’s no briefing to attend.

The boards have now combined so Reg and Reserve candidates are boarded together.

I don't know the answer but I'm pretty sure officers can spell.

Can you help Unc V with this @Grey_Mafia65 ? Gawd knows why he wants to know.
Well, for a start, there's only one "f" in "professional", only one "f" in "qualified" and no "U" in QARANC.

As for the question itself, bear in mind 2 things:
1. I am not and have never been a nurse.
2. I base my answer on my service 30 years ago.

SRNs (state registered nurses) is a term from the 70s. They were replaced by RGNs. When I joined up in 1987, only RGNs were offered commissions (they could join up without a commission but were made up to Cpl within months of finishing basic and on completion of a JNCO course). I assume this was for both men and women but I'll admit I can't say I ever knew any serving male RGNs.

The only medics I knew on ARRSE that may have been able to answer this don't appear to be here any more (fastmedic/filbertfox).

Didn't realize that you're now a proffessional speelchecker. Occifer.
I'm a medical secretary, I get paid to spell correctly so yes, I guess I am a professional spellchecker!

And don't insult me, I can navigate successfully. ;-)

Well, for a start, there's only one "f" in "professional", only one "f" in "qualified" and no "U" in QARANC.

As for the question itself, bear in mind 2 things:
1. I am not and have never been a nurse.
2. I base my answer on my service 30 years ago.

SRNs (state registered nurses) is a term from the 70s. They were replaced by RGNs. When I joined up in 1987, only RGNs were offered commissions (they could join up without a commission but were made up to Cpl within months of finishing basic and on completion of a JNCO course). I assume this was for both men and women but I'll admit I can't say I ever knew any serving male RGNs.

The only medics I knew on ARRSE that may have been able to answer this don't appear to be here any more (fastmedic/filbertfox).

A splendid answer GM. I am aware that you were never a nurse but what did you get up to in the QARANCs? Were you the bus driver. :party: :highfive:

A splendid answer GM. I am aware that you were never a nurse but what did you get up to in the QARANCs? Were you the bus driver. :party::highfive:
Sensible answer (and just to confuse things further), my trade was Clerk RAMC :) In a hospital or med centre environment, I was the person who made sure your medical records were all tickety-boo, or sometimes in the orderly room as a personnel clerk.

We had no need for bus drivers. The reason the bus-load of nurses never turned up at the party was because we were having far too much of a good time in our own NAAFIs. Why should we go anywhere when so many of you lot were more than happy to come to ours? ;-)

Sensible answer (and just to confuse things further), my trade was Clerk RAMC :) In a hospital or med centre environment, I was the person who made sure your medical records were all tickety-boo, or sometimes in the orderly room as a personnel clerk.

We had no need for bus drivers. The reason the bus-load of nurses never turned up at the party was because we were having far too much of a good time in our own NAAFIs. Why should we go anywhere when so many of you lot were more than happy to come to ours? ;-)
Oh well, that's cleared that up once and for all. I recall visiting a QAs NAAFI in Aldershot in 1981 while on my resettlement course.
Not a nurse in sight!! Well, maybe there was but certainly no shenanigans looked to be on the books.

Oh well, that's cleared that up once and for all. I recall visiting a QAs NAAFI in Aldershot in 1981 while on my resettlement course.
Not a nurse in sight!! Well, maybe there was but certainly no shenanigans looked to be on the books.
Very odd, I assume you mean the CMH NAAFI, that had quite the reputation! Either that or they were all in the rugby club!

The QEMH NAAFI got a mention in The Sun circa 1989 for the drunken debauchery going on.

Good times :drunken:

Possibly a quesion that has been asked and answered before - but when were qualified Male SRN nurses in the Army Medical Services offered commisions the same as QUARANC SRN qualified nurses.
As far as I know, males have had the same chance to commission since they were first allowed in the corps in 1992.

As of 2015 when I left, newly registered nurses would start as pte but promote to Cpl in a few months. There was then the option to apply for commission as PQO after gaining 2 years post registration experience. Nurses who joined with 2 years post reg already gained could join as an officer straight away and enter as a Lt, or as a Capt if 5 years plus post reg. As far as I know the rules have always been the same for males and females since 1992.

They were also starting to commission some straight from civvy uni as 2 Lt who had been in the OTC, but I don't know much about that as I only ever encountered one who had gone that route in about 2008/2009.