"Army - Low Morale" Wall - a Red Tab PR Hatrick

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by smallbrownprivates, Jan 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And now Wall wades in....

Army cuts creating 'gaps' and leaving soldiers unsettled and frustrated, says chief - Telegraph

As PR campaigns go, the Red tabs need to really sort themselves out. So far the equation I can see them putting together is:

Contrition (sorry about Afghan - Richards) + Fear/weakness (nasty nasty argies won't be beaten - Jackson) + Puppy dog eyes (soldiers very sad :crying: - Wall ) = please don't take away our pocket money/train sets

I've had better moral blackmail from a five year old about a guinea pig for a birthday
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Glad it's not just me who thinks that. Regrettably though I reckon the Army is a good decade too late to escape the oncoming axe. It's a PR campaign, intended to influence the average member of the public, put together by career soldiers who have no idea whatsoever about their target audience. (Just like on ops then.) Not really what I'd see as having a high probability of success.

"Sorry about Afghan" doesn't cut it when it is seen by today's politicians as merely the latest failure to display moral courage and tell Tony Blair his ideas for foreign adventures were ****ing stupid. "Argies won't be beaten" is seen as manufacturing a threat as the Argies have done nothing to change the threat they pose - before cuts were proposed it was all fine, now cuts appear and it's all terribly scary woooooo voodoo ninja frogmen etc. It's so obvious it's insulting. And as for soldiers facing redundancy being sad, well, join the club. There's a lot of it about on civvy street these days, expect sympathy but don't expect the population rise up and demand income tax to be put up to pay for squaddies to keep their jobs while everyone else suffers.

Positives though are that today the public mostly think that the soldiers themselves do a hard job on their behalf and deserve treating properly in return. That's something.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Funny - we went through all this with the navy about 2 years ago as they scrabbled desperately to keep any ships at all. It didn't work for them and it wn't work for the army. The only people who win in a PR battle are the crabs
  4. I don' think that the RAF have won any PR battles lately either; of all the services, the RAF is closest to entering a death spiral, especially now that it's rotary wing fleet is being drastically reduced and no, this is not an invitation for PR Totty to start another Save the Puma campaign. OOTS is right about the Army being in trouble - if CGS comes up with anymore pisspoor PR campaigns, he'll probably be heading for the job centre himself. Cameron and Hammond will not tolerate the dissent verging on open warfare that Brown and Browne experienced. I don't like Cameron at all, but he does do this well - he talks and the peasants (top brass) listen.
  5. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

So what's the alternative then? Report back to PM that everything is 'hunky dory'?

Redundancies are a worry. Ok, a lot of the reduction in numbers will come from slower recruiting and natural wastage, but then when you start to play around with pensions it causes massive concern to those who have worked 22 - 37 years that were promised 'x' from day one, and come day 13,514 find out they'll be getting 'x' minus 'y'.

The way I see it - it is the job of CGS to point out these issues to the government. If HE doesn't - then who else will?

All the time we seem to make do with what we have - and we're good at it. Doing more and more with less and less - it seems to be a recurring theme. But in the end, if you work twice as hard with half the resources and produce the same product and you don't kick up a fuss about it - all you do is mask the problem and reset the datum.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. the thing is,that in the past when the shit hits the fan HMF have always been able to set up to the mark and get on with it be it wars,floods,etc.when are they going to cotton on than if you cut so far so fast the camels back will snap.in turth HMF shoots itself in the foot,take this summer the macc task will be meet whatever the cost in morale and money will be found to do it.