Army List

Blogg

LE
Elected or just dabbling in local matters, such as objecting to your PP application for a gilded pleasure dome?

Former will have a published bio.

Latter are usually just a PlTA

War Hero
No Gazette for someone purporting to be an officer = 100% guaranteed walt.
I have found the occasional typo or whatever that can throw a check, even when I've known that it must exist.

That said, one doesn't hit Lt Col without leaving a trace. Nor would a poseur start claiming to be one.

As the older Gazette entries are presumably OCR'd that is why I presume my own earlier entries are missing online, could just appear as a typo somewhere but I cannot get them directly. You might want to tread carefully.

By way of example in the public domain: Capt Gavin John Hamilton - MC (posthumous) in 1982 when serving with 22 SAS during the Falklands campaign. The citation for the MC as a Capt is online in the Gazette, but none of his records of commissioning or promotion up to Capt are available online by name search - but I can find it online as I know when we commissioned and none of those with us are listed individually.

Maybe come Remembrance Sunday get a look at his medal edges and check they are his?

Last edited:

Sloppy Link

Old-Salt
Elected or just dabbling in local matters, such as objecting to your PP application for a gilded pleasure dome?

Former will have a published bio.

Latter are usually just a PlTA
Dabbling, Parish Clerk who seems to be actually running the PC.

Sloppy Link

Old-Salt
As the older Gazette entries are presumably OCR'd that is why I presume my own earlier entries are missing online, could just appear as a typo somewhere but I cannot get them directly. You might want to tread carefully.

By way of example in the public domain: Capt Gavin John Hamilton - MC (posthumous) in 1982 when serving with 22 SAS during the Falklands campaign. The citation for the MC as a Capt is online in the Gazette, but none of his records of commissioning or promotion up to Capt are available online by name search - but I can find it online as I know when we commissioned and none of those with us are listed individually.

Maybe come Remembrance Sunday get a look at his medal edges and check they are his?
Yep, thought of that but then reasoned Hamilton would not have Service recorded up that point because of SAS but once deceased, it would be. I went on to reasonably assume that if this individual is of that background, he wouldn’t he using his rank to throw his weight around, therefore, I’d expect a Gazette entry.

Capt Gavin John Hamilton MC was at The Infantry Demonstration Battalion as Adjutant before heading off to join the Hereford Hooligams in 1980. T
hese sort of para mil websites are also quite useful to get some info, unless of course the chap your researching is the site owner then they can write their own tales of dering do!

If he’s a Parish Councillor and getting too big for his boots the walk around the Parish and find things wrong to report. Hit him with loads of problems. If he’s a blustering fool he won’t achieve anything, if he’s a little more capable then it will keep him quiet. Attend a Parish Meeting and just focus on him if he has failed to address the issues. Make him a pariah.

If he’s a Parish Councillor and getting too big for his boots the walk around the Parish and find things wrong to report. Hit him with loads of problems. If he’s a blustering fool he won’t achieve anything, if he’s a little more capable then it will keep him quiet. Attend a Parish Meeting and just focus on him if he has failed to address the issues. Make him a pariah.
Easy to do, also watch his attendance easy to do via the Town clerk or if they are being awkward lots of FOI requests.
Find out his responsibilities and camp out in his meetings, easy to do and if he's on the allotments sub commitee well you have an open goal for questions.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Easy to do, also watch his attendance easy to do via the Town clerk or if they are being awkward lots of FOI requests.
Find out his responsibilities and camp out in his meetings, easy to do and if he's on the allotments sub commitee well you have an open goal for questions.
Have a like for "allotments sub commitee" a post well suited for a walty Lt Col, who is 'chucking their weight around!'

Sloppy Link

Old-Salt
That’s the problem, he is the clerk!

Sloppy Link

Old-Salt
"Cease fire"
Two posts up confirms he is gen, not Gen.
Thanks, yep, he is genuine. Also, a genuine knob, will have to work out another way of dealing with him. If you wait on the river bank long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by. Sun Zu.

Thanks, yep, he is genuine. Also, a genuine knob, will have to work out another way of dealing with him. If you wait on the river bank long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by. Sun Zu.

I had to check a genuine knob of my acquaintance, but details don't match. They're all over the place.

Latest Threads