Army List

Sloppy Link

Old-Salt
Trying to verify an individual purporting to be a Lt Col. Are the Army Lists in the public domain? Pink Lists? All I have is name, rank and date of birth….
I’ve tried Forces War Records and Ancestry but haven’t really got very far.

Trying to verify an individual purporting to be a Lt Col. Are the Army Lists in the public domain? Pink Lists? All I have is name, rank and date of birth….
Go on Google them, they will appear on a London Gazette for either promotions or awards. That is enough to salute or out them.

War Hero
It depends on when and where they served. There are one or two units that don't get listed in the Army List for various reasons ... that might be obvious to those who know on security grounds.

The Army List used to be available in public libraries, and was available for purchase by any hostile intelligence service or the IRA.

It depends on when and where they served. There are one or two units that don't get listed in the Army List for various reasons ... that might be obvious to those who know on security grounds.

The Army List used to be available in public libraries, and was available for purchase by any hostile intelligence service or the IRA.
Certainly the more sensitive aspects of a career will be blanked, but if they commisioned via RMAS then they will be on the London Gazette. A bit of digging and targeted Googling should flush them out.
If they are still serving you should get a ping, and if you know a wee bit of their service and who they commisioned into you should be OK to find out if they are true to their word.

Sloppy Link

Old-Salt
Yep, Google, Gazette, National Archive, Forces War Records and Ancestry all have drawn a blank (they all have their limitations). Best I can come up with is a WO2 (RAMC) from 1970 so age is about right (b. 1934) but nothing further from there. Chap is throwing his weight around, just needs bringing down a peg….

Yep, Google, Gazette, National Archive, Forces War Records and Ancestry all have drawn a blank (they all have their limitations). Best I can come up with is a WO2 (RAMC) from 1970 so age is about right (b. 1934) but nothing further from there. Chap is throwing his weight around, just needs bringing down a peg….

No Gazette for someone purporting to be an officer = 100% guaranteed walt.

I have found the occasional typo or whatever that can throw a check, even when I've known that it must exist.

That said, one doesn't hit Lt Col without leaving a trace. Nor would a poseur start claiming to be one.

Anything on Linkedin ?

Sloppy Link

Old-Salt
Nuffin on LinkedIn. I’ve also done a couple of placebo searches including on myself, gets a result every time. I have my doubts.

Do LE officers go in the Gazette?

Age is about right? Throwing his weight around in his late 80s?

Nah, throwing his weight around now. Re LE, I are one and yes, I appear both on commissioning and promotion….but this is now, dunno what they did 70’s/80’s.

Stop mincing about, whether he’s even served or not is irrelevant, if he’s being a twàt grip him. Ex military rank has no relevance in civilian life.

Sloppy Link

Old-Salt
Stop mincing about, whether he’s even served or not is irrelevant, if he’s being a twàt grip him. Ex military rank has no relevance in civilian life.
Not I, pal (no mil background) but not local else I’d just turn up and ask pointed questions.

Are you in Thailand? Does his rank slide look homemade? Is he wearing dubious para wings?

Serpico

War Hero
Stride up, tell him his commision doesn't appear in the London Gazette, and slide a Webley across his desk

If he's gen, he'll know what to do

We posted at the same time, yep, throwing his weight around now, local council type stuff.
Not another who went and sat on a Council. If so bound to be a local photo of him opening an allotment or judging a dog show - doesn't however validate his service. The Oxford Town cryer got bounced having worn medals he hadn't been entitled for, the South Atlantic Medal I think outed him!

Latest Threads