Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army Linguist + IBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

oc67

Crow
Hi all,

I have indeterminate colitis (a form of IBD) which I was diagnosed with I'm 2017. After my initial flare ups in 2017, my condition has stabilised and I haven't suffered from any major symptoms since then. I take very mild daily medication as a preventative (which anyone with IBD will know is necessary - even if you have no symptoms you still take meds because IBD is chronic). Other than the above, I am very physically fit, I'm an avid gym-goer, I've always played sport and have never suffered from symptoms while exercising etc.

I have come to terms with the fact that routes like the Royal Marines (as much as I would have loved to) and even standard infantry units are not going to be suitable due to my IBD and I probably wouldn't pass the medical.

However, over the recent years I've become really interested in languages and I can now speak French, Spanish and colloquial Arabic (and English obvs). I'm really keen on the Operator Technical Intelligence (linguist) role within the British Army (or RAF) and I was wondering if anyone could shed a light on my chances of getting into this role?

I'm aware you train as a soldier to begin with and then choose your trade. As an intelligence analyst however, I would mostly be deployed in the UK with some overseas tours and not on the frontline.

A freedom of information request from the MoD in 2014 showed there was 823 personnel in the British Army who had a type of IBD... whether the condition was diagnosed before or after recruitment, I don't know.

Also if you have any other military orientated suggestions they'd be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads