Army Legal Service Entry Requirements and combat

Discussion in 'Army Professionally Qualified Recruitment' started by Barrister, Sep 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a recently qualified Barrister and I will start my pupilage soon. What level of University results will the army expect from a prospective applicant?
    Also, if you join the ALS I understand that you only spend a very short time in Sandhurst which will not be sufficient for combat,however if you do the 44 weeks I've heard you cant then join the ALS, only the AGC in another role.

Is there any way to be a combat soldier as well as an army lawyer, if not at the same time, then concurrently?

2. **** yeah, the Army is full of Barrack Room lawyers.

(are you going to be starting any more threads like this?)
  3. Eh ?
  4. One first and then the other. i.e. Infantry soldier and then ALS/ ALS and then infantry soldier.
  5. Why would you want to join the ALS, do you intend to 'thunder in' on your pupilage or something?
    The role of the ALS has been greatly reduced over the years, all the sexy cases are outsourced to civvies. This leaves you with the low level stuff and sorting out Private Smiths divorce/maxed credit card problems and smashed kebab house windows.
    Join a teeth arms unit for a few years, then decide what you want to do.
  6. Understood. If you are thinking of pursuing a career in the law, you might want to sort out the difference between "concurrently" and "consecutively". Good luck with it all.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. If you have been successful in gaining a pupillage then well done. They are very hard to come by. Generally speaking you need no little commitment to a career in the law to succeed in gaining a pupillage place. Furthermore nowadays pupillages are rarely offered if not "with a view to tenancy" so I am assuming that if you get through your pupillage year then you will have a reasonable expectation of being taken on as a tenant.

On the other hand you seem attracted to a career as a "combat soldier" (whatever that means).

The two aspirations are worlds apart and appear mutually incompatible. What did you do by way of research into each career? (mini pupillages with sets of chambers or "look at life" attachments to military units, for instance). Did you do OTC at uni?

I think that you need to sit down and consider very seriously where your ambitions lie. The ALS is not a convenient amalgamation of the two. Far from it (as other posters have implied). Once you have done that you can map out your future.

One other point. If you are seeking a commission in the army then you will need to pass the Army Officer Selection Board (AOSB). It is no walk in the park. If you have not already done so you should find out what lies ahead in each of your potential career paths. It seems that you may be further down one (the law) than the other (the army). But whatever happens you should make sure that what you end up going for is what will ultimately make you successful, happy and fulfilled. Not always easy to determine at the front end of the career!

Good luck.

(Edited to add that if you have a law degree, qualification as a barrister and a pupillage place then you can probably assume that your academic qualifications are up to scratch for army purposes. I can't imagine that you scraped a third class degree if you have landed a pupillage - did you?)
  8. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Alternatively. Do your pupillage (sp?) and join the TA. IIRC the various Inns supplied loads of blokes in the first go-around with the bosche.

I presume that you'll be doing your pupillage in the Smoke, there's plenty of Regiments/Corps that have a presence. HAC might be a place to start.
  9. Good point. Or Inns of Court Yeomanry in Lincolns Inn. Or there is some outfit up at Russell Square possibly. Lots of TA units in London. If that is where the pupillage is. Wherever the pupillage is there will be a TA unit nearby.
  10. Don't hold out much hope for any of your clients getting fair sentences if you don't know the difference between consecutive and concurrent. But maybe that's what pupillage is for. Shrugs.

Ah, beaten to it. Should have checked the full thread before leaping in with an open gob.
  11. Aren't they R SIGNALS now? Infantry he's got the Paras or the London Regt. Or the HAC, even though they're gunners.
  12. Yes, now you remind me, they are RSigs now.
  13. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

HAC stay behind STA role identical to 4/73 Bty. Lots of patrolling skills etc.
  14. My apologies for the misnomer. However I dont think that I'll be rethinking my career due to such a mistake. I think the fact that I have qualified and gained a pupilage could possibly spare me such life changing corrections. Thank you however for taking the time to write your useless and unhelpful post. The question that I asked still stands unanswered by anyone.

Those of you who have similar ideas of the advice I need please don't bother posting unhelpful crap.

Those of you who do, I appreciate your help

Thank you
  15. Big Lad, you have just proved yourself unsuitable for a life in the Army. Jog on.