Army Junior Doctor Training

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Speckled_Jim, Jan 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm a final year medical student and in the midst of revision hell. If all goes well I will graduate this August. With the recent changes to civilian medical training (the Foundation Year programme part of Modernising Medical Careers changes) I will now have to do two years of hospital work before doing the Vicars and Tarts course.

So experienced members of the board what skills do you think I should work on over the two years to help me be a better RMO? Any specialities I should try hard to get some time in? (we now do 3x4 month placements a year) The only demand from AMD is that I do 4months in the second year in A&E.

2. I have found that it very rare to find a good Doctor who is also a good commander, those who attempt to be successful at both, usually acheive neither. It is even more unusual to find these attributes in A Doctor who is also not a complete tactical embarrassment on the ground. There are some exceptions, I myself have been very lucky to work with some excellent Doctors/commanders/soldiers, but they are very much the minority. Sadly, these are not attributes you can 'train' for, they come with experience. Aside from any medical specialities, you would probably benefit from developing people skills and getting used to LISTENINING to those who are supposedly junior to you. Your guys will work for you if you show an intrest in THEIR career development and training, especially CMTs whose professional development needs all the help it can get right now. Do you have any idea where you might like to end up working? Good luck with your final year, hope all goes well.

Right lads, that's the sensible bit. He's all yours!!

3. Thanks for that, standing by for slagging / QA abusing / Smilies from D-L

Ultimately I'm thinking A&E. For my RMO slot I'm putting out some feelers towards a few Inf Bns, but I'm waiting to see who ends up in what role with FAS, and tour plots for my two years.

What do you think to getting some time with the TA Fd Hosp to wear green a little bit over the next two years (queue TA bashing...)

4. A Very Very Good Idea. However, if you do that there is a possibility that you might be pinged for commitments that you might not wish for in your final year at med school.

5. Come on CMTs here's a chance to shape at least one doctor as you keep on moaning about us....

Don't worry nothing is getting in the way of the exams. But I doubt I'd be called up as I wouldn't be a member of the TA - just training alongside them. I think :?

Which bit then would be better - getting away on Hosp Exs or doing the more 'warry' wkends. Would it be the living in the field / tactical experience or the military clinical skills I should be trying to get from anytime training with the TA. Or would it be better to make contact with some TA inf types (the ones that aren't stagging on in the sand) and learn more of how the inf work?

Or do I not wear uniform for two years, and enjoy my time doing other stuff?

[edited to bait the CMTs]

6. S_J

give the TA a go, it'll expose you to the Regs as well and hopefully you'll pick up some good pointers and possibly some bad ones too :roll:

generally, remember that the PAMS, CMTs etc are people who have aspirations for greater things and a career in their given profession. Just because your a Doctor, don't become too high handed with them either. Use every oportunity with them to expose them to learning, after all Doctors are the font of all knowledge :roll:

Now as for being a good commander, well you can't learn it from a book but watch the various leadership styles you'll come into contact with and decide what suits you and then place yourself second and all those under your command first....and that may just get you by.

Oh make mistakes as well, keeps me happy watching Doctors f@ck up :wink:

7. Thanks D-L, but I bet you never make mistakes do you? Like trying for the top ten again.

8. I continually make mistakes S_J, it keeps my boss on his toes and he loves me for it really :roll:

And once again I am sussed out for trying for the Top ten :oops:

9. S_J: I think it's quite right in suggesting that one can't be a good MO and commander simultaneously. Ultimately the MOs are there for their clinical, and, by extension, caring competence; that is what the Army wants, fundamentally, from an MO. Yes, leadership - or command - skills are necessary, but only enough to be effective in getting the primary task - care - done maximally. One saw on the Vicars 'n Tarts course some - usually male - doctors who appeared schitzoid about their role, erring on the war-ey stuff just to much and coming over as rather immature to boot. Yes, we are officers, but officers called not to fight but to care. If we appear confused about role, it's deepy offputting to those we're there to care for - and who are the real fighters.

Very best wishes for the remainder of med school.

10. S_J. To answer your original question, go for broad experience and don’t worry too much about higher professional training. So consider general medicine, general surgery, orthopaedics, psychiatry, you have to do A&E and I think you can ask for 4 months in general practice with GP Trainer. The final one? Consider paeds, always a useful stint for anything you may do later.

Just one other thing, the RMO as we know him may soon be a thing of the past because all Combat Arms RAP appointments may (I emphasize may) be open only to qualified GPs in future. Your ‘RMO tour’ may actually be with a Med Regt Sect.