Army Infantry V RAF Reg

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by englandtilidie, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been down the gym and a lad who trains there has just got through selection and got a date to start his basic training for the RAF Regiment. He's a decent bloke and we were having a bit of banter as im joining the Rifles. One of the other lads who used to be a Royal Green Jacket chipped in and said "Rock Ape's are just wannabe soldiers who would guard a plank of wood if you told them too".

What's the main differences? Do RAF Reg go on patrol? Am I right in thinking the RAF Reg guard the bases and thats it? Any answers welcome.

2. Rock Apes only work 9-5 and they aren't allowed in the sun.

Just by walking in the gym door you're already fitter than most Rock Apes ;)

3. Look at the TV and you will soon see that Army Infantry and Royal Marines are the only dedicated Infantry that are used as strike ops (fighting patrols).

The RAF regt and i defy any of them to dispute this, are a guarding force for Air bases whether they dislike being told that or not, their job is to create and maintain a safe perimiter around the air base and aircraft, to enable them to do this they get a degree of Infantry training but in my experience they have no more right to call themselves Infantry than any of the technical cap badges within the Army as they are all qualified to conduct standing patrols.

The Infantry and the Marines conduct the fighting patrols though :)

4. Thats confirmed what i was thinking. I dont know much about RAF Reg but i knew that they were no where near as agressive as Army Infantry, eg fighting patrols.

And when the ex-green jacket found out he was going raf reg he didn't half give him some stick.

5. Spot on! That was been my experience of the one's I had the misfortune to bump into...

:wink:

Rodney2q

6. Don't 2 Sqn have a capability to take enemy airbases?

7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Didn't we sort this in the 200 page RAF Reggy give me strength thread?

8. I asked why he doesnt just join the army infantry if he wants to be a soldier but he said he is joining the raf reg because they are one of the three elite!?!??! According to hime they are Marines, Paras and RAF Reg.

9. "Don't 2 Sqn have a capability to take enemy airbases?"

That'd be great if the Taliban had airbases 8O

10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

And only if they were very, very, small ones at that!

11. Yep, they only need to take off, not land...

12. You have clearly underestimated the interwebs ability to produce a never ending swarm of opinionated,ill informed bellends. :wink:

13. Oh good. We have'nt had one of THESE threads for ages... :roll:

14. Sorry my fault, should have used search function. Won't happen again :-(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.