Army infantry reserve questions?

LongStride

Swinger
Hello and Good Afternoon,

I’ve spent a few weeks looking on forums and various army websites but I can’t seem to find the answers I need.

I work for my self as a digital designer.
I generally spend 40 hours a week designing and doing admin.
I earn less then £10.000 a year meaning I can’t pay tax, so I’m technically unemployed.

I’m able, prepared and willing to give much more time then the general commitment asked of a reserve soldier (which is roughly 15 - 29 days a year from what I’ve seen).

If the unit has accommodation on site I would be willing to be a more permanent fixture helping with admin and any other tasks required. Rather then coming once or twice a week or every other weekend.

I am willing to do all aspects of training (basic - phase 1 and phase 2 etc ) in one go with regulars or reserves, rather then over weekends and two or three days here and there.

I do not have my own transport so around £30 in train fare maybe 6 times a month isn’t really ideal.
I would much rather put the £180 towards accommodation, if its there.

I intend on joining the regulars again before I hit the max age of 32, so I wish to find a unit that will take me in as a reserve with the absolute intention of joining them as a regular soldier at some point in the future.

Perhaps it’s not how the reserve role works but as I can’t find info on the matter, I need to ask, is the above possible or completely unheard of?
I understand it will greatly depend on the barracks and space available there.

Looking to join a mechanised infantry unit.. Ideally PWRR AND RIFLES

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
LongStride

You're very unlikely to get accomodation on site. The Army Reserves doesn't work like that.
Your train fares etc will be refunded, though.

Units don't really have much of an issue with blokes wanting to go Regular but you will almost certainly have to undergo full training with the Regulars at Catterick,

The figure you note as "general commitment" is just the minimum; many blokes do 70-80 days a year. You may well find yourself able to help a unit out with various ood jobs, for which you'll get paid.

You *might* be able to get the Army to pay for driving lessons, by the way.

@LongStride The best way to proceed is to look up Reserve units near you (via the Army website) and give them a ring. You can ask all questions and have accurate answers from that unit (different units do business slightly differently and have different job roles and kit). Most will invite you along for a chat. This is informal and in no way is you joining up, it's purely for them to give you information you need to decide whether or not it's right for you. Some will invite you for a drill night so you can talk to the troops, hear the ground truth and see if you'll fit in.

LongStride

Swinger
You're very unlikely to get accomodation on site. The Army Reserves doesn't work like that.
Your train fares etc will be refunded, though.

* If accommodation is unlikely then I guess I would have to settle with a unit somewhat local to Staines. Refunded travel costs would be lovely though.

Units don't really have much of an issue with blokes wanting to go Regular but you will almost certainly have to undergo full training with the Regulars at Catterick,

* I did my basic in Winchester in 2007, While there I spoke to infantrymen who did their basic at Catterick and from what I can remember it sounded really good. I’d be more then game for it!

The figure you note as "general commitment" is just the minimum; many blokes do 70-80 days a year. You may well find yourself able to help a unit out with various ood jobs, for which you'll get paid.

* 70 - 80 days is much better then the 15 - 29 but truly I’d like to do more. I’d be happy to give 200+ or more if needed. I just can’t fully commit to regulars at the moment, although I would like to.

You *might* be able to get the Army to pay for driving lessons, by the way.
* The army did pay for my licenses (B, BE, B1, C, CE, C1, C1+E and hazmat certification).
Just don’t have wheels but I guess this would be a good time to get back on the road.

Thanks for your quick response and help bravo, very much appreciated.

LongStride

Swinger
@LongStride The best way to proceed is to look up Reserve units near you (via the Army website) and give them a ring. You can ask all questions and have accurate answers from that unit (different units do business slightly differently and have different job roles and kit). Most will invite you along for a chat. This is informal and in no way is you joining up, it's purely for them to give you information you need to decide whether or not it's right for you. Some will invite you for a drill night so you can talk to the troops, hear the ground truth and see if you'll fit in.
* Ok, Thanks God-fearing Pagan.

I shall write a list of the units that interest me the most regardless of distance though, as the ones I would like to join the most seem to be mainly coastal. I’m near London .
I’ll speak to them directly and ask the specific questions I need answered.
Depending on the answers I get I shall proceed to arrange a meeting/chat with them.

Thanks again , much appreciated

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Good luck , get hold of things like birth certificate asp ,the join up data side is awful when Capita get involved, but persevere it is good inside.
Once a trained soldier there are opportunities to transfer but give any new job time.Infantry is a super basic building block to start off a career with

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Pretty much no chance of accomodation at the unit, but you never know, you might make contact with someone who has a room etc.
From wanting to go PWRR or Rifles, i imagine you are in the south of england, hampshire/wiltshire maybe? I dont know what 3 or 4 pwrr do off the top of my head as a role, but 6 rifles is light role, 7 is becoming armoured.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
An armoured AR Bn? Who's fixing the kit?
Should have made it clearer - we are providing dismounts to 5 Rifles.

spaz

LE
Babcocks, they (sort of) fix all the kit........
Very good.

I welcome our supreme leaders at Babcock and look forward to the day when we close down all of our LADs. The service they provide is second to none, we should give them double the money that we currently do, to store our equipment in their Non Taskworthy park. To resist is futile.

LongStride

Swinger
Good luck , get hold of things like birth certificate asp ,the join up data side is awful when Capita get involved, but persevere it is good inside.
Once a trained soldier there are opportunities to transfer but give any new job time.Infantry is a super basic building block to start off a career with
Thanks MoleBath,
Birth certificate is at hand, I’m now waiting for my medical forms which I have to take to my GP.
Yep, I’ve noticed the website is a bit weird, can’t log in most of the time.
I shall definitely give it time, But seen as you mentioned Infantry as being super basic career start, Where can a Infantry career lead. Paths etc..
Thanks
LongStride

LongStride

Swinger
Out of interest why not just go regular now?
Family reasons really.
My mums had a not stop cough for some time, and it seems she’s keeping me in the dark about it. I’m the youngest of 3, so they (my sisters) would be more able to care for her should the need arise.
Just don’t want to stress her too much atm, I’m a mothers boy admittedly. Single parent and all that.

Latest Threads