Army helicopter crashes near base

#1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6464999.stm

Army helicopter crashes near base



The helicopter crashed into a field
A military helicopter has crashed into a field in south Armagh.
It happened just before 1800 GMT on Sunday at Foxfield Road, close to the British army base in Crossmaglen.

There are no details yet on any casualties, but the Ambulance Service has sent six vehicles to the scene.

There are no further details at the moment.
 
#2
eveyuk said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6464999.stm

Army helicopter crashes near base



The helicopter crashed into a field
A military helicopter has crashed into a field in south Armagh.
It happened just before 1800 GMT on Sunday at Foxfield Road, close to the British army base in Crossmaglen.

There are no details yet on any casualties, but the Ambulance Service has sent six vehicles to the scene.

There are no further details at the moment.
Here
 
#3
Dosen't look that badly damaged and to be honest if you look at the picture you can see a fair bit of snow, could have been weather related AA. Its been bad in NI and the winds have been awful. Hope the casulties are minor.
 
#4
Speedy recovery to the casualties, heres hoping they aren't seriosuly hurt.
 
#5
Napoleon_Bunnyparte said:
Dosen't look that badly damaged and to be honest if you look at the picture you can see a fair bit of snow, could have been weather related AA. Its been bad in NI and the winds have been awful. Hope the casulties are minor.
Tell me about it!About a hour ago we had a clap of thunder that was like a bomb going off!It tripped all the electrics in my home.

Anyeay,
I hope the crew is OK.
 
#8
Latest reports say two military and four police off to hospital. Locals report seeing walking wounded emerging from chopper. Hopefully a good sign. Fingers crossed
 
#9
The other pic on the bbc website article shows Boruki sangar-which strangely vanished from XMG square a couple of years ago-good to see the beeb up to date as ever!!
 
#13
Think your right Isquared, however in years gone bye, with no money in the 'Repair' budget brand new airframes where purchased and given the old Serial No.
john
 
#14
Seen worse. Lick of paint and good as new.

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to the injured.
 
#15
Investigation into Armagh air crash
Monday, 19 March 2007 07:45
Air accident investigators will begin an examination of the site near Crossmaglen in Co Armagh this morning where a British military helicopter came down last night.

Seven members of the security forces on board the Lynx helicopter were admitted to hospital.

Three PSNI officers were discharged while a fourth is being treated for a severe back injury.

Two British military personnel are also being kept in hospital.

None of their injuries is said to be life threatening.

One member of the flight crew escaped unhurt.

The PSNI spokesman said there was nothing to suggest the cause of the crash was terrorist related.

Local Sinn Féin MP Conor Murphy said the helicopter came down near a housing estate.

Ambulance crews removing the casualties from the scene came under attack from a gang throwing stones and other missiles.

Similar attacks were made on police officers on the ground.


Nice to see normality in XMG!
 
#16
western said:
Local Sinn Féin MP Conor Murphy said the helicopter came down near a housing estate.
This cretin was quoted last night on local tv news as saying that he "believed there had been fatalities" - then going on to say how he had been campaigning for years to stop helos flying in the area as it was dangerous, what with there being a housing estate nearby, etc., etc (cont. p. 94), and carefully forgetting why the helicopters have to be there in the first place.
 
#17
I think he's the same dipstick who reported when a cab shed its underslung load that the load came down in a 'built-up area'.

Three houses and a flock of sheep in several square miles of countryside does NOT constitute a 'built-up area'.

But he wouldn't want politics to get in the way of the truth.
 
#18
eveyuk said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6464999.stm

Army helicopter crashes near base



The helicopter crashed into a field
A military helicopter has crashed into a field in south Armagh.
It happened just before 1800 GMT on Sunday at Foxfield Road, close to the British army base in Crossmaglen.

There are no details yet on any casualties, but the Ambulance Service has sent six vehicles to the scene.

There are no further details at the moment.
There will be pleny of negative comments-yet if you look at the photograph you can see that the pilot had the skill to land his aircraft into a tiny field. Credit to the pilot for his skill and judgement.
 
#20
EAGLE1 said:
There will be pleny of negative comments-yet if you look at the photograph you can see that the pilot had the skill to land his aircraft into a tiny field. Credit to the pilot for his skill and judgement.
Well said Eagle.

I'm sure that were it not for the pilots skill, casualties could well have been worse.

Having attended many crash scenes, he did a damned good job, not to have splattered the craft and occupants over a large area.

I hope to goodness it's wasn't a former Mod at the stick, his ego's big enough as it is :wink:

As for the locals on the news, bloody shame there wasn't fuel dumped over them on the way down.

Tw@'s!!!
 

Similar threads

Top