Army Hearing Protection 1970's

Does anyone remember the name of the ear plugs which were used on the ranges during the 70's? Also does anyone hae a photo of the said article?

Cheers

Manny

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Sad but true I still have mine in my shooting box down in the cellar, if I could be Arrsed I would photo them and then post here for all you dear readers to admire.
Currently having problems summoning the necessary total indifference to perform said task.

If we're talking about the little earplugs in a small round container; in my Sqn it was considered very ally to pierce lid and tub, then string them around your combat jacket epaulatte.

A bit like Bomber Command and their whistles.

You had to be there.

Maj Maniprasad Rai NEVER lost his: he had a string threaded through the ends which he wore around his neck. Very effective and strangely alluring. In a Ghurka stylee.
Another option would be to thread the string through one ear and out the other (like I do with my son's coat sleeves so he doesn't lose his gloves). Rubber Grommet Ear-Plugs Mk1 always at hand then...

I cannot remember whether they had a name but they were small, pretty hard and made of pink rubber. They had a little tag on them so that you could grip them in order to remove them from the ear.

They collected earwax like nobody's business. I bet I have a pair somewhere in Litotes Towers. And before you ask, not a clue!

I bought a pair of Amplivox to protect my hearing, which made me very popular on the ranges! But I can still understand you if you talk to me loudly and clearly...

Litotes

Found them, not quite in the same condition as they were when issued to a young Aircraftman Drlligaf in 1971 in RAF Swinderby, but they might still work.

Attachments

Does anyone remember the name of the ear plugs which were used on the ranges during the 70's? Also does anyone hae a photo of the said article?

Cheers

Manny
PLUGS ANTI DEAF !! left and right for the use of, they were crap when swimming with them as well.

Cotton waste...handed a big wadge of it on my first visit to a gun position in 1975...