Army Headline of the Day

Alamo

LE
When in the Defence Review before last (IIRC, I've sort of lost count) the relocations would have required a Line Cav regt to share messes with a Gunner regt without guns, the sadness was immense. Funny old thing, it never came to pass.
When the Jt CBRN Regt was formed at RAF Honington the RTR tried to insist on having separate messes. They were f***ed off at the high port!

The Sgts and officers messes on St Omers is a shared building but separate dining and function areas (Basically the staff and kitchen are shared). 4 units share the Mess (27, 10, 101 and the monkeys) which tended to lead to arguments over singlies wanting to use the bar when a function being held by another unit.

When the Jt CBRN Regt was formed at RAF Honington the RTR tried to insist on having separate messes. They were f***ed off at the high port!
It has taken years to decontaminate the gay out of the RTR.

Chef

LE
It has taken years to decontaminate the gay out of the RTR.
UK Armed Forces Commentary: Challenger 2 numbers: don't waste time on the  wrong ones

'Does this hotel have valet parking?'

Well there's a surprise

BBC version

1654790169958.png

Hey look, an officer who standing up for the lads.

Burn the heretic.

Also, I wonder who footed the bill for hotel accommodation at the Mess dinner, the Lakeside isnt cheap.

View attachment 669215

Hey look, an officer who standing up for the lads.

Burn the heretic.

Also, I wonder who footed the bill for hotel accommodation at the Mess dinner, the Lakeside isnt cheap.
He's an LE with one more time served promotion in front of him. Hardly standing up for the lads. I do have a solution though. Set a standard, hot water /heating / showers/ plug sockets etc and pay people a decent amount per day extra. That should sharpen the focus and make it all a bit more transparent.

He's an LE with one more time served promotion in front of him. Hardly standing up for the lads. I do have a solution though. Set a standard, hot water /heating / showers/ plug sockets etc and pay people a decent amount per day extra. That should sharpen the focus and make it all a bit more transparent.
Captain Rob Abernathy is probably the smallest man in the Army, he joined as an DE about 5 years ago.
He tries hard to look after his men.

Well he's fucked it then hasn't. He should have kept his powder dry and worked it from the inside.

I don't know the good Captain though I'm sure he has already tried to 'work it from the inside'.... the man obviously has moral courage and integrity...something distinctly lacking in our VSOs!

Well he's fucked it then hasn't. He should have kept his powder dry and worked it from the inside.
Yeah, cos that's worked for the last few decades.

chimera

LE
There’s a number of things which contributed to the difference in culture. To my mind the biggest being:

The Army has a longer history, with the officer/ranks divide wedded to the class system. By the time the RAF came along the class system was a lot less prevalent in society, so the officer/rank thing is far more egalitarian.

Secondly, the survival of aircrew is utterly dependent on the airmen that work on their aircraft. That fosters a bond. Couple that with the fact that the ground crew don’t engage in combat with the aircrew it means that there has never been the need to preserve the divide for combat efficiency purposes.

Aircrews (where appropriate) are mixed ranks. Maintaining a strict officer/rank divide in those circumstances would be ridiculous.

You’re right about messes. Just the one, all together, where the Station Warrant Officer (in the case of the Sgts’ Mess) is no more important than any other mess member, means they’ve never been exploited as an extension of the CoC.
And yet the RAF still insists that pilots are officers? Two wing master race up the front winning the DFCs, non commissioned loadies etc up the back in the same aircraft get nothing. I am not seeing too much egalitarianism in that.

I don't know the good Captain though I'm sure he has already tried to 'work it from the inside'.... the man obviously has moral courage and integrity...something distinctly lacking in our VSOs!
His OJAR will read "moral courage high, Judgement low". All he had to do was pop an umbrella, wait for another promotion and Command then start windmilling. Now he's burnt his equity and will be scoffed at for not seeing the bigger picture. Worse still he might not be trusted moving forward. There's more than one way to skin the cat.

Latest Threads