Army Headline of the Day

• Thread starter Deleted 59779
  • Start date

GDog

War Hero
Careful, if you change the law by that much you wouldn't need a military at all. You could just launch Tomahawks straight off the assembly line at the Boeing factory.
That's a fair point, but I would have thought you could carve out a grey area for those working in GCHQ or related bodies.

GDog

War Hero
Most cybergeeks don't want to join the military, so no fitness is a minor enticement.
A fitness regime really isn't the problem. I joined partly because I knew it would be good for my health, even though it would be putting me out of my comfort zone. People don't relish being fat or unfit, but would be intimidated by the prospect of communal living and PT - and not keen to repeat humiliation and bullying from childhood.

I recall one IMF lesson where a PTI decided to tell me my press-up count was "pathetic" part way through. In honesty, it wasn't great, but I knew that already. I was however old enough to not feel belittled by him - and to this day I think he's a ****, who took advantage of me being in a situation where I couldn't answer back and tell him to **** off. I've previously been an umpire and in that environment I'd have shown him a card for the attitude/contempt.

If the fitness regime was widely seen in a more positive light it would be far less of a disincentive to people not familiar with it.

A harder problem to crack is that cyber people can be fairly intelligent and logically minded and this doesn't sit well with having Liz Truss and the like sat at the top or the org chart telling you where and when to risk your life.

Last edited:
Part of me thinks that we can’t afford to be choosy and another part of me thinks that we’re far too woke to rectify weight and fitness issues that people start with. BMI is alright for accepting people but not so great for rejecting.

Last edited:
Part of me thinks that we can’t afford to be choosy and another part of me thinks that we’re far too woke to rectify weight and fitness issues that people start with. BMI is alright for accepting people but not so great for rejecting.
WTAF does “woke” even have to do with this discussion? Bemoaning the fitness of new recruits has been going since Caesar was a sprog…

WTAF does “woke” even have to do with this discussion? Bemoaning the fitness of new recruits has been going since Caesar was a sprog…
Because we’re unlikely to sort it out in phase 1, there’s a lot of effort in reducing time spent in phase 2 leaving it to field units. Then you’re going to have to tell someone they’re fat but can’t do anything about it as (I believe) it’s medical in confidence and you can’t have a fatties PT class though an unfitties is still a goer. Why can’t you have a fatties class? Etc

Alamo

LE
Most cybergeeks don't want to join the military, so no fitness is a minor enticement.
I can only guess at why they can't be civvies and it could be to give the MOD greater control over them and/or legal reasons.
Cyber geeks don’t want to joint the military because it is pissing about on the edges of it.

Because we’re unlikely to sort it out in phase 1, there’s a lot of effort in reducing time spent in phase 2 leaving it to field units. Then you’re going to have to tell someone they’re fat but can’t do anything about it as (I believe) it’s medical in confidence and you can’t have a fatties PT class though an unfitties is still a goer. Why can’t you have a fatties class? Etc
Eh?

There’s a fairly robust remedial process available, including the use of minor and major administrative action processes - up to and including discharge.

Sounds like weak NCOs to me.

Eh?

There’s a fairly robust remedial process available, including the use of minor and major administrative action processes - up to and including discharge.

Sounds like weak NCOs to me.

Robust my hoop, the army is still trundling along with about a 20% biff rate.

If I remember correctly quite a few years back the PFA (and now SCR) were not proper tests so technically you would not face discharge for constantly failing them.

I also think its wrong that the army let people get to their units without having to do a PFA (and occasionally an AFT), not only should it have been sorted out before they got to the unit, its also unfair on the individual if they are just shit at fitness.

Think about your stereotypical rugby lad. He's probably carrying a few extra pounds, he loves his beer, curries, fried breakfasts.

But he's quick on his feet and he can last the length of the match and he's robust, and not afraid of hard work, and he loves being part of a team and competing to win. Can a desperately undermanned and still shrinking Army really not find a use for such a lad? It is willing to spend precisely £0.00p on recruiting him, it wants him to measure himself with a tape measure he has paid for himself, and reject himself before ever bothering to apply.

He'll sort himself out in phase 1 once he sees what's normal for his new team.

Think about your stereotypical rugby lad. He's probably carrying a few extra pounds, he loves his beer, curries, fried breakfasts.

But he's quick on his feet and he can last the length of the match and he's robust, and not afraid of hard work, and he loves being part of a team and competing to win. Can a desperately undermanned and still shrinking Army really not find a use for such a lad? It is willing to spend precisely £0.00p on recruiting him, it wants him to measure himself with a tape measure he has paid for himself, and reject himself before ever bothering to apply.

Its very rarely a "stereotypical rugby lad" getting a BMI over 32 when joining, its normally always fat cnuts.

Although I would just let everyone do a fitness test and if they can pass they can proceed.

GDog

War Hero
Can a desperately undermanned and still shrinking Army really not find a use for such a lad?
A test of motivation is to sort it out before joining.

I do understand how BMI can be too blunt for muscle mary types but they arguably have an easier problem to solve - just eat less and do more cardio and less lifting. It should be a doddle compared to the effort we expect from unfit people to get up to standard.

WhiskeyTango

War Hero

That would mean a 6'2 rugby player with a BMI of 32 would weigh around 113 kilos.

The bloke you are describing is at best a third team Sunday league player and is gassed at half time.

Latest Threads