Army Headline of the Day

I'm sure the Cold War army managed to recruit lots of women.
It also had roles that required women, already trained in other trades, for " Special Duties".
It advertised those roles internally, and those women who applied and passed the relevent training seem to have done well.

Maybe the army could repeat that process? Recruit women who want to join, train them in a trade, then offer infantry as an option?
Trying to recruit women directly to infantry is perhaps too great a leap?
The women in the infantry thing was pointless, and we've probably lost a load of people that would have been highly effective in other areas. Ack the SD comment, women are vital here, they gate to scratch an itch and lets face it they're never going to be carrying a lead shield in the front of a stack.
I'm wondering if the actual amount of women serving masks the data. The variation in recruiting each year is large but just a standard variation that looks bad. Probably the wrong words, but I know what I mean.

bestri10

War Hero
I'm sure this was discussed at the time and in between the doommongers clutching berets to to their long since amalgamated regimental blazered breast of how we were finished as a fighting power, a number of posters asked, how do we even know they want to join. Pretty sure such questions were shouted down as being out of touch and gammon etc.

At least it's confirmed, the world didn't end and it's just as difficult to recruit women into the infantry as it is men.
I doubt many do want to join, its similar to this whole thing feminists cry about where the number of women in certain roles was very low compared to men, but they never thought that women just do not want to do these things, however, this has not stopped a number of companies specifically hiring women or even BAME or LGBT individuals to cater for diversity instead of who is right for the role, unfortunately this same cancerous idea has been introduced to the public services.

Last edited:
I doubt many do want to join, its similar to this whole thing feminists cry about where the number of women in certain roles was very low compared to men, but they never thought that women just do not want to do these things...
It's a really good point, but why do women not want to do these things? I think the adventure has gone, along with a lot of the fun. Almost all of the trade/career roles can be achieved at a better standard elsewhere.

I think that also applies to eligible young men as well.
It's interesting seeing the differences between Army and RAF mentalities wrt condition. The RAF have a very clear understanding that people vote with their feet. For example the RAF volunteer for overseas postings, and respond accordingly to reductions in LOA, local amenities, job opportunities etc. The Army very much works on the assumption that you will go where you are told.

It's interesting seeing the differences between Army and RAF mentalities wrt condition. The RAF have a very clear understanding that people vote with their feet. For example the RAF volunteer for overseas postings, and respond accordingly to reductions in LOA, local amenities, job opportunities etc. The Army very much works on the assumption that you will go where you are told.
I seem to remember that R.A.F. Germany Postings were very highly prized......but that was years ago.

A point @stacker1 illustrates regularly. Utterly, utterly shocking

Some of that article is either bollocks or dated.

It would be unfair for anyone to lose their job before they were convicted.
Also stories about missing appointments sounds like something in Germany 20 years ago, not anything recent.
The dress is the Mess is the same as any other club that dictates dress standards and all the bullshit on how to eat applies to everyone not just the poor little wifeys.
52 deaths in 10 years were caused by soldiers or ex soldiers, well as there are literally millions of veterans that's a meaningless statics.
The 93 days rules doesn't really explain that the soldier carries on paying for it over that time and plenty of other halfs manage with it.

Having said that, it just goes to show that some people can get convictions for violence (not young lads scrapping type violence) and the army doesn't really give a shit.

Some of that article is either bollocks or dated.

It would be unfair for anyone to lose their job before they were convicted.
Also stories about missing appointments sounds like something in Germany 20 years ago, not anything recent.
The dress is the Mess is the same as any other club that dictates dress standards and all the bullshit on how to eat applies to everyone not just the poor little wifeys.
52 deaths in 10 years were caused by soldiers or ex soldiers, well as there are literally millions of veterans that's a meaningless statics.
The 93 days rules doesn't really explain that the soldier carries on paying for it over that time and plenty of other halfs manage with it.

Having said that, it just goes to show that some people can get convictions for violence (not young lads scrapping type violence) and the army doesn't really give a shit.
Yeah, yeah yeah, anything in a paper is bollocks and all journos are liars.

Surprising he received so much support, must have been a good bloke when not fcucking about with illegal firearms. Just love the Judges comment about impending birth of child. Oh and the American Regiment beats Anglican hands down. :)

Surprising he received so much support, must have been a good bloke when not fcucking about with illegal firearms. Just love the Judges comment about impending birth of child. Oh and the American Regiment beats Anglican hands down. :)

The lawyer further said the army had lent support by sending Chief Petty Officer Dean Goodey to the court. Goodey, dressed in uniform, sat in the court and took notes of the proceedings.

All I ever got was shitty magistrate courts.

It sounds like the Army only gave its usual generic "support". Letter to the defence lawyer and an accused advisor sat in court.

The lawyer further said the army had lent support by sending Chief Petty Officer Dean Goodey to the court. Goodey, dressed in uniform, sat in the court and took notes of the proceedings.

All I ever got was shitty magistrate courts.

It sounds like the Army only gave its usual generic "support". Letter to the defence lawyer and an accused advisor sat in court.
The Navy probably have someone in situ or nearby. Agreed I had to do soldiers 'friend'/unit rep/OC a number of times and despite my COs firmly held belief that it was good for my career and would aid the defence, was a complete and utter waste of time for both me and the Magistrate who had heard and ignored the nonsense many times before..

The beautiful game

1_js254925530.jpg

I'll bet those local kids don't play fair either....

Pilots on the cheap or panic at the diminishing pool of applicants?

Doesn't really make it clear if they are intending to keep them at a lower rank if they pass the course.
I think most jobs should be available to whoever wants them, let the selection process filter them out.

They’re rated up to Sgt on completion of course; my understanding is it’s to open recruitment pool and stop COs from getting in the way.

Latest Threads