Army Headline of the Day

Why get rid of people who are from sexist and homophobic organisations?
You mean soldiers? Chaplains are soldiers and accountable as such.
Why get rid of people who are costing more than need be, based on someone deciding a long time ago that they should be officers?
It implies that they come with an education, and in this case a fairly targeted degree, why employ an infantry officer without a degree in warfare? Because that is not what it's about.
Why get rid of people who have only got the job because they are a certain religion?
That isn't the entry requirement.
Why get rid of people who have studied theology for 3 years instead of something that will help the wider army?
Again, it's a better targeted degree than the vast majority of servicemen have. It's not training it's education, the two are different and I'm sure that you understand that.

Mölders 1

War Hero
Depends on if someone complains that the infantry are sexist.

There are already complaints in the airline industry that pilots are mainly male and those serving the drinks are females.

There was an article in the Daily Telegraph a few months ago complaining about an advertisment on Facebook appearing to "Gender Stereotype" the role of Airline Pilots being a "Man's Job".

Here is what one of the commentators wrote......

John Smith
9 Sep 2021 12:45AM
For decades the airline industry has bent over backwards to get more women into the flightdeck. They're just not that interested in the job. I have personal experience of females being given additional training and more accommodative training plans in order fir them not to get chopped.

It would be far easier for my daughter to get a pilot job with an airline than it would be for my son.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you add all your quote out of contexts together, the answer is still we have something in place now that sits outside of the CoC, attracts the right SQEP individuals and works, why get rid?
Does it work? It doesn’t work for me. I have no religious belief at all and would certainly not wish to discuss matters of morality, ethics or personal issues with somebody I feel is deeply compromised in those areas.

I have seen chaplains being very effective in bypassing the CoC to get things done but that could be done by any secular welfare / pastoral bod.

Does it work? It doesn’t work for me. I have no religious belief at all and would certainly not wish to discuss matters of morality, ethics or personal issues with somebody I feel is deeply compromised in those areas.

I have seen chaplains being very effective in bypassing the CoC to get things done but that could be done by any secular welfare / pastoral bod.
That's not the argument. If you could delete the Christianity bit then fine. Personally I think it's too deeply woven into the fabric of the forces to remove. Stax is saying that we pay too much for what we get, and that someone on a Sgt wage could pick up the job. My dealings with Padres has been positive, including recently when I had to deliver a knock on the door of the worst kind. The Padre didn't mention god once. I do admit that he takes credit for any good weather though.

You mean soldiers? Chaplains are soldiers and accountable as such.
I mean the the churches of which they belong.

It implies that they come with an education, and in this case a fairly targeted degree, why employ an infantry officer without a degree in warfare? Because that is not what it's about.
What is it about then? If anyone can randomly do a degree and then do pastoral care/welfare, why do you need padres?

That isn't the entry requirement.

Pretty certain to be a chaplain it very much is a requirement.

Again, it's a better targeted degree than the vast majority of servicemen have. It's not training it's education, the two are different and I'm sure that you understand that.

To clarify you are saying anyone with any degree could do the job? Then why is it restricted to those with a degree in theology?

That's not the argument. If you could delete the Christianity bit then fine. Personally I think it's too deeply woven into the fabric of the forces to remove. Stax is saying that we pay too much for what we get, and that someone on a Sgt wage could pick up the job. My dealings with Padres has been positive, including recently when I had to deliver a knock on the door of the worst kind. The Padre didn't mention god once. I do admit that he takes credit for any good weather though.

How many of your none commonwelth soldiers reguarly go to church?
The MOD has no problem removing other trades (and entire units) that were woven in the fabric of the forces.

Im saying there could be a much better way than restricting the job to a small amount of people based on their religion.

I chose Sgt rank because it was similar to the pay figures someone else put up for civvy vicars. It could be a Cpl it could be WO2, it could be a civvy, the point is, you were adamant it had to be an officer.

If the Padre had to give bad news and didnt mention God, then you agree the army doesnt need the religious part of people doing welfare?

If Stacker wishes to replace the RAChD with a secular branch of social workers....I suggest they'd need to be trained both as social workers and officers...

And the question is why would they need to do the regular commission course?

Yeah a real kicking, with either a made up story about a padre wanting to go on patrol or a real story of a padre wanting to be a liability for those in the patrol. Yeah, thats a real "kicking".

Stacker old boy, too many folk on this site know me from my Army days for me to risk making stories up.
To give you an idea of the type of Padre I'm talking about take a look at the guy who conducted the service at the last Conventicle of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If Stacker wishes to replace the RAChD with a secular branch of social workers....I suggest they'd need to be trained both as social workers and officers...
Why? Why couldn’t they be PQO’s? Or more like the Naval Chaplain and not carry rank.

I would suggest that they probably should not be NCOs. One of the the best pieces of work I witnessed a chaplain doing was walking into the Brigade Commander’s office after being fucked off by the CoC. It was an issue that needed sorting.

I suspect if he had been a Sgt he would not have got through the door.

However I see no need for them to carry officer rank.

Padres don’t do the Regular CC, they do the short course with the other PQOs. Known in the olden days as the Vicars and Tarts course. Such terminology is obviously not politically correct these days, so is not used any more.

The old CMDVLP course which used to be run out of Victory College.

Why? Why couldn’t they be PQO’s? Or more like the Naval Chaplain and not carry rank.

I would suggest that they probably should not be NCOs. One of the the best pieces of work I witnessed a chaplain doing was walking into the Brigade Commander’s office after being fucked off by the CoC. It was an issue that needed sorting.

However I see no need for them to carry officer rank.

BA, it was merely a suggestion!
No rank? Are you advocating something on the lines of a political commissar
There has to be a rank structure, a chain of command.

Stacker old boy, too many folk on this site know me from my Army days for me to risk making stories up.
To give you an idea of the type of Padre I'm talking about take a look at the guy who conducted the service at the last Conventicle of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).
I said "either". So you are confirming the Padre wanted to risk the lives of the lads on patrol.
Quality bloke.
Not such a cool story now is it?

BA, it was merely a suggestion!
There has to be a rank structure, a chain of command.

You missed the bit about the Navy then.

Who knew the Royal Navy had people like a political commissar?

I didn't.
Though I'd suggest RN Padres do figure in the chain of command.
You obviously missed the gist of the conversation regarding an alternative to Padres.

To the reversocycle batman.

So, these Soviet types that are in the Royal Navy, has anyone noticed?

I know of a PTI SSgt who went straight to a Brigadier (bypassed the CO because he was useless) due to the behaviour of an OC on PT, the OC got tuned in.

However I take your point it isnt usual, but if a Sgt (or anyone else for that matter) who was specifically for welfare was fucked off by a Brigade commander, then there needs to be a system in place for him/her to go over the head of the Brigade commander.

The same if an Ammo tech, range safety, RMP, medical staff etc were being rodded off by the chain of command (and then a bridage commander).

With the usual trolling by @stacker1

I have one question relevant to this thread

On armistice day did you object to the padre taking the service that day, when it came to repatriation from operations did you refuse to participate when the padre did his bit.

Not one serving solider would have the balls to object to the padre being there for the above. I therefore state you are a liar.

QRK2

LE

However, even if one was to accept your dubious theory that they needed a commission to do the job since nether drill nor bluffing platoon attacks are a core requiment for the role, the short (PQO) course should suffice as it does for padres.

Last edited:

Latest Threads