Army Headline of the Day

Shamelessly stealing the idea from the Irish Headline of the Day thread. I am continually reading things in the Press which are a bit interesting or mildly amusing and are about the Army but do not in themselves deserve a dedicated thread. So how about we give a general thread a try? Source agnostic of course, just as long as it is not deserving of lengthy discussion elsewhere

As a starter for ten:

British Army Ran Out of Ammunition in Eight Days During Simulation, US Lieutenant General Reveals

Or this

Or:

Football-mad army sergeant to fulfil dream of playing at Wembley before final.​

Phil Dickson, Band Sergeant Major of the Coldstream Guards band, said performing at the stadium in front of a global audience was ‘just fantastic’.

Coldstream Guards deny plot to sell ammunition to undercover police officer.​

Two serving members of the elite Coldstream Guards will deny claims that they plotted to sell ammunition to an undercover police officer, a court heard on Thursday.
Kirtland Gill, 40, and Rajon Graham, 32, are accused of working together in a conspiracy to sell 300 bullets for a 9mm luger pistol in December 2020 and January this year.
Evening Standard

One for today

SAS? Spec Inf? Rangers? No the article mentions logistics, so a couple of fat wheezy lads from the RLC

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Shamelessly stealing the idea from the Irish Headline of the Day thread. I am continually reading things in the Press which are a bit interesting or mildly amusing and are about the Army but do not in themselves deserve a dedicated thread. So how about we give a general thread a try? Source agnostic of course, just as long as it is not deserving of lengthy discussion elsewhere

As a starter for ten:

British Army Ran Out of Ammunition in Eight Days During Simulation, US Lieutenant General Reveals

Or this

Or:

As a starter for ten:

Or this

Or:

the squaddies in the dresses were an undercover Jock regiment , The Gay Gordons Hi Fank yew !

A pretty interesting article on our latest fire sale of perfectly serviceable military equipment:

Sale of Army equipment to African countries labelled 'morally supsect' by ex-top brass.

Much more interesting the quote from Lt Gen Jonathan Riley

“If the Government was interested in defence, it would be putting these things into storage for care and maintenance. Once it’s gone, it’s gone - training goes and you lose a whole capability. But there is clearly no political appetite, so why bother?”

He added: “There is, by the Government’s own admission, a ten-year-gap during which the British Army will not be in the business of war-fighting. If Putin comes over the border, or North Korea, there’s very little we can do. Most of our tank fleet will be in mothballs, we won’t have an infantry fighting vehicle fleet because they’ve dumped the Warrior having spent £40bn on upgrades and are even getting rid of our entire CVR fleet with further delays to replacement.

“Sadly I predict it will only be a matter of time before Britain loses the post of deputy supreme allied commander Europe, probably to a French officer.

In the finest of British traditions this will generate 30 more officer's one star and above and ten new HQs ;-)

A couple more:

Ex-soldier fractured man's skull with savage blow outside club

The standard PTSD event

and another what the SAS didn't do in Argentina story

H16 was terrible. I tell you how bad it was, more troops were gated, not allowed to go fighting and the cookhouse even ran out of ice cream for nearly a month... No wonder he has PTSD.

Seems there is a little fuss over covid vaccinations for soldiers:

And the standard thick headed response from the CoC?

Seems there is a little fuss over covid vaccinations for soldiers:

And the standard thick headed response from the CoC?

The Mirror story is from the Mail

By law the Army cannot force soldiers to get jabs. Yet being 'unfit to soldier' is an offence under the Armed Forces Act.

The biffs must be shitting themselves over that "offence"

If the story is true, its good to see officers making ******* of themselves via orders, its a shame the regiments werent named.

The Mirror story is from the Mail

By law the Army cannot force soldiers to get jabs. Yet being 'unfit to soldier' is an offence under the Armed Forces Act.

The biffs must be shitting themselves over that "offence"

If the story is true, its good to see officers making ******* of themselves via orders, its a shame the regiments werent named.
Top thirders eh? I would hate to have to mix with the pond life at the bottom again.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
"Attitudes change but love is constant’: Major General marries partner of 20 years at same-sex wedding in Edinburgh"

Attitudes Change

(apologies if covered elsewhere)
Alistair Bruce, 13 Platoon, Rhine Company, SMC 22, Sep 1979 - Apr 80.

Good for him!

ETA: I seem to recall there was an ‘incident’ in Limassol on R&R at the end of our final exercise.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
A pretty interesting article on our latest fire sale of perfectly serviceable military equipment:

Sale of Army equipment to African countries labelled 'morally supsect' by ex-top brass.

“If the Government was interested in defence, it would be putting these things into storage for care and maintenance. Once it’s gone, it’s gone - training goes and you lose a whole capability. But there is clearly no political appetite, so why bother?”

He added: “There is, by the Government’s own admission, a ten-year-gap during which the British Army will not be in the business of war-fighting. If Putin comes over the border, or North Korea, there’s very little we can do. Most of our tank fleet will be in mothballs, we won’t have an infantry fighting vehicle fleet because they’ve dumped the Warrior having spent £40bn on upgrades and are even getting rid of our entire CVR fleet with further delays to replacement.

“Sadly I predict it will only be a matter of time before Britain loses the post of deputy supreme allied commander Europe, probably to a French officer.

In the finest of British traditions this will generate 30 more officer's one star and above and ten new HQs ;-)
Yes, interesting - in it a ‘defence expert’ says we should be keeping Hurricanes.

I hope he knows about the BBMF.

"Attitudes change but love is constant’: Major General marries partner of 20 years at same-sex wedding in Edinburgh"

Attitudes Change

(apologies if covered elsewhere)
Good job being gay in the Army was allowed in 2001, oh wait a sec

Chef

LE

I rather like this from the MOD

'...and the latest Sig Sauer pistols which the MoD describes as “suitable for crowd control”.'

I have this image of a shiny suited salesman saying that followed by,

'Tell you what sir make it cash and I'll throw in a couple of boxes of bullets.'

Latest Threads