Army head calls for more troops

More troops are needed in the Afghan province of Helmand to provide security, the outgoing head of the British Army has told the BBC.

General Sir Richard Dannatt said "more boots" were needed but it did not matter whether they were British, American or Afghan troops.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8151244.stm

Just as Brown was saying that top commanders had everything they need, this came up on my browser.

Sorry if already done.

Who they going to call up?
Boys Brigade?
Land Army?
Pots empty, best we ask the rest of Europe to chip in with troops/air assets

More boots...well if the Regular and TA can't provide...how about a nice big cup of nostalgia with a gurt big slice of conscription?

Call me old Mr suspicious here, but wasn't Cyclops just on PMQ's stating that the army has everything it needs??

Theres something fishy here and it isn't just the contents of Harpersons underwear!

Cuddles said:
More boots...well if the Regular and TA can't provide...how about a nice big cup of nostalgia with a gurt big slice of conscription?
Even easier: anyone who has EVER served in HM Armed Forces, including all Volunteer Reserves, is now called up. Subject to meeting age/medical requirements, they will serve a minimum of three years in the Regular Forces. :twisted:

Gordon and ZANU have nothing to lose anymore. It's scorched earth all the way, so they might as well sh1t all over the country while they still have the chance. And leave the Tories with as big a mess as they can... 8O

Just as he said at the Parliamentary dinner so wrongly reported by Mick Smith.

"whether they were British, American or Afghan troops"

[quote="Werewolf]

Even easier: anyone who has EVER served in HM Armed Forces, including all Volunteer Reserves, is now called up. Subject to meeting age/medical requirements, they will serve a minimum of three years in the Regular Forces. :twisted:

Gordon and ZANU have nothing to lose anymore. It's scorched earth all the way, so they might as well sh1t all over the country while they still have the chance. And leave the Tories with as big a mess as they can... 8O[/quote]

Ok when do i have to start worrying?
I'm sure i must be past the recallable age
When do the envelopes land on the front door mat?

Seriously, would a recall of some'old n bold' free up troops in traing roles and the like?

CGS was not referring specifically to British troops. He knows better than anyone that the cupboard is bare.

I would go so far as to say that he mentions British troops in the quote only in order to avoid being accused of direct criticism of the other ISAF contributing nations, not because he believes there is the slightest possibility of us sending more.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
We are currently reducing the armed forces, putting carriers on hold and slashing the TA to a skeleton crew as we obviously don't need them. What does this Dannatt bloke think he's doing to suggest otherwise?

Oh god that fcuking idiot is back again.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don't understand. I heard Brown and Jobsworth say that we had enough troops in theatre for the job we are doing and that the Army is the perfect size for its commitments. (Well maybe a few too many but we can get rid of them)

Why is General Dannat suggesting otherwise? Why is General McCrystal (here and here) saying there are not enough British Troops to do the task they have been asked to do?

Why are these 2 senior officers with a proven track record of integrity now lying? How is it that Brown (an idiot) who has never knowingly told the truth before has suddenly got it right?

I'm confused. Still I'm reassured because I heard Jobsworth say that there would be no cuts to the infantry.

There is an opportunity here fellahs!

We take a leaf out of Kitcheners' book, and re-form the "Pals" Units. We could give then a "Hip" new title to make it palletable, something like the "Aylesbury Posse Bn". Fill it full of the scummers as it is feasible, give them minimum training then pack them off to Helmand.

They only have one mission. Leave the FOB in extended line and walk slowly towards the Taliban.

1. This will reduce the current rate of unemployment.

2. It will possibly cure inner city violence.

3. It will make mine detection a lot simpler.

4. It will tidy up the gene pool.

DG
What about their UMONG RITES innit?
Fatherless chav scum know their way around the laughable law of the land and would tell the recruiting depot to do the other and walk off.
Who would stop them?

they can always mobilise the TA enmass and this time have the bol locks to make it compulsory which will be a lot more palatable for those of us who have used up all their employers goodwill volunteering for previous tours.

i've done 3 tours and would be willing to do another but i simply cannot volunteer as i will find myself unemployed on my return.