Army has killed 7,000 Taliban

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Apr 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday TimesApril 13, 2008

Army has killed 7,000 Taliban Michael Smith
    BRITISH troops are to scale back attacks on the Taliban after killing 7,000 insurgents in two years of conflict, defence sources said last week.

British paratroopers have returned to southern Afghanistan in increased numbers this month. For the first time, members from every battalion of the regiment will be fighting together on one battlefront.
    More on the link
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3735981.ece

2. The sooner they kill 7001 the better then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Are 4 Para going as a formed unit or are they going as IRs?

4. There will be more in the next 6 months!

5. Good Work

6. Just a comment here, and not in any way derogatory to our boys - I dont think that using "body count" type statistics ever helps our cause, it serves only to give ammunition to the Al-Q propagandists who try to invoke jihad, the ********* at home saying that we are killing innocent villagers, and the politicians who try to justify our own losses with an attitude of 'enemy body count equals victory', regardless of tactical or strategic aims!

7. Seconded.

8. While the previous comment might be true the fact is that thanks to the hard work of our boys there are now 7000 less Taliban. The martyrdom propaganda will only go so far and the support that this may stir up amongst jihadists will surely be outweighed by the demoralizing effects the deaths of so many of their own will have

Either way, 7000 less religious fanatics in the world, that can ONLY be a good thing

9. Dead on, especially as we are constantly told in any media video footage of Afghanistan battles, that the Taliban take all their bodies with them, even if it's estimated that there's thirty dead!

Quite how they are able to gather all the body parts after a 500 pound has hit them & then slip away undetected in a barren landscape, without any air assets spotting their three hundred man column is beyond me though. :roll:

10. I'm always a bit dubious when it comes to bodycounts of enemy dead. Its the only figure that is very difficult to be confirmed statistically when the enemy arent wearing dogtags etc..

11. I don't think it too many... :twisted:

12. is it just me or are there some strange drokking words and phrases appearing in some users posts? :wink:

agree with the above post of LabRats , 'body counts' isnt a guage of progress.
    personaly i think it would be better to count recovered weapons or mashed parts thereof from the bomb craters for figures to give to the press.

13. Careful, Brother Stealth; we don't want to give away our Secrets to the Knowless Men... :wink:

14. Considering the fact that many Taliban fighters are only there because they get paid fifty US dollars or something like that to fight, are body counts really all that useful? How do you separate out the true fanatics that are out to turn the country back into a theocracy and those that are there simply for mercenary reasons?

15. Does that really matter? Whatever thier reason for fighting, they are the enemy and legitmate targets.

Having said that, I can see why bodycounts make some people nervous...

..."cough"Vietnam!"cough".