Army Guard reaches 350,000-member goal ahead of schedule

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, May 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

ARLINGTON, Va. (4/23/2007) – The Army National Guard reached its congressionally authorized end strength of 350,000 Citizen-Soldiers on March 30, six months earlier than originally projected, Army Guard officials have reported.

"The strength of the Guard has been the amazing levels of retention among members of deployed units, surpassing all expectations," said Lt. Col. Diana Craun, the Army Guard’s deputy chief for strength maintenance.

"Retention is highest among units that have returned from deployments, and retention is an essential element in end strength," she added.

It is the first time that the Army Guard has been at full strength since 1999, Craun said. Officials had projected that the Army Guard would reach 350,000 troops by Sept. 30, the end of this fiscal year.

Stand by for the fishing ads ;)

P.S. Here's the real lesson to be learnt:

The key has been adequate funding for the additional recruiting and retention personnel, the bonuses, the advertising and marketing campaigns, and the training programs, said Craun. "We will continue to grow the force as long as we have the funding," she maintained.
  2. Given that funding for the TA is about to hit all time lows (in relative terms) and that this financial year is already under huge pressure, I only expect us to stand still (at best).

That said, once TA100 is past, it'll be the 'reserve' anyway, and numbers won't matter so much.
  3. TA Brand has gone now - it only features on old stocks of promotional brochures and a few remaining web pages.

The National Guard message is very simple and some of us - several who post in these forums regularly - have been banging on about it for at least 10 years now: give us fully formed, fully funded Recruiting Battalions.

Inevitably that is what we will end up with anyway as every other form of training gets cut.
  4. msr

msr LE

When you say stand still, do you mean carry on losing approx 2,000 soldiers and 230 officers like we did last year?

5. Of course! that IS standing still!!

and then once we get to 15,000 and they can legitimately cut all of the real estate, we have training cadres/battalions/units (RTCs?) that just churn out the IR fodder....
  6. Thats because the US have a more patriotic youth than us, therefore more people willing to join the guard.
  7. Wrong. It's because they are putting more effort and resources into recruiting than we do.

And they don't have PC Welsh councillors saying "You can't recruit here, we're disadvantaged".

8. Patriotism probably has it's part to play, as does an embedded miltary ethos in the nation. However, PB has a point in that a bit like the TA of old, you only get out of it what you prepared to put in.

It's like marriage, take her for granted and it she'll play away.
  9. You also see more soldiers in uniform in public in the US. It's something people can be openly proud of; soldiers have pride in their uniform, and the public have pride in their soldiers.

But then, that's another thread...

10. msr

msr LE

Then launch it ;)

11. You've reminded me of a thread of long ago, which discussed policy in British airports about the wearing of uniform. Which led me to dig this up: click here.

Americans: annoying but occasionally admirable.
  12. Also, National Guard get PX's, pensions, help with college, discounts on production of ID card, veterans medical aid in dedicated hospitals, the list goes on

The TA get (the famous) bounty and an empty promise that your job MIGHT be there when you come back (assuming you do not need medical treatment).

Mmmm, now, where do I sign (again!)
  13. quote="Friendly_Fire"]You also see more soldiers in uniform in public in the US. It's something people can be openly proud of; soldiers have pride in their uniform, and the public have pride in their soldiers.

but you are right there with what you say. as i said in the European day thread there are thing that happen to the UK that we all hate but we just mutter things under our breath cuz its the English thing to do. in the states thay are so proud of there troops thay fecking shout about it and make it known. maybe if we had the balls to do that in the UK there would not be such a struggle to recruit regs/ta soldiers into the forces and maybe armed forces would not be the nasty word people avoid using. for gods sake these guys are worth more. so lets be patriotic, lets fly our flags, lets post our tribute vids on youtube and if just one person signs up cuz thay are proud of there country then its a success.

ok rant over i feel better but its so simple to see why the usa meets there targets, thay are proud of there country and thats a fact.

please dont shoot me :)
  14. The National Guard can recruit because soldiers are protected from dismissal by their employer; they get all the benefits of their regular counterparts and are well equipped. As long as the TA remains a volunteer organisation based on casual labour then it will never retain or recruit enough soldiers to do the tasks that are now being asked.