Army gender hoax misfires

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
There was a thread on here IIRC
Pretty sure it was debunked by about he third post

Being out of direct touch with military matters for many years, I merely looked for some sort of guidance as to its provenance - yours is succinct! Thanks.

Reading the article in the Soldier, it was just subtly wrong, and caused me a great laugh.

Does anyone remember the great "Decimalisation" scandal? They were going to decimalise all joint regimental names: 17/21 Lancers were going to be called the 0.8's, the 16/5 Hussars the 3.2's and so on. The lead-up was just as cleverly done as the depersonalisation one of this year, but quickly became evident that it was a wind-up - in classic squaddie fashion.

I'm surprised that any squaddie fell for it, to be honest.

Mind you... considering some of the bollox that has (or has not!) been coming out of the big house over the past few years, nothing surprises me much these days!

Mind you... considering some of the bollox that has (or has not!) been coming out of the big house over the past few years, nothing surprises me much these days!
Yep, see it on a daily basis. Soldier Mag has as much value as The Bulletin.

Thanks for your input, guys of all genders - such matters would appear to be safe in military hands if left to their own devices. Wot a larf the DM is .....!

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Had Labour got back in it would have actually been policy
Tomorrows future leaders are allready well down the path

Manchester Uni - Daily Mail said:
Anyone caught short at Manchester University will have to decide whether to use the 'toilets' or the 'toilets with urinals' after the women's and men's were re-named to avoided offending transgender students.
The change was made in the university's Students' Union after a number of transgender women claimed they were uncomfortable using men’s loos.
A sign reading 'Toilets with urinals' was duly placed over the traditional 'stick man' symbol while a 'Toilets' sign replaced the women's graphic.

Read more: University renames 'gents' as 'toilets with urinals' - to avoid upsetting transexual students | Mail Online .....!

Daily mirror fell for the one 2 years ago. I tipped off a good journo friend of mine on another rag and they ran a story pointing out the mirrors stupidity. You've got to laugh! It does worry me slightly that every year we see outraged complaints about the soldier April fool - you'd think people would have learnt by now!

Reading the article in the Soldier, it was just subtly wrong, and caused me a great laugh.

Does anyone remember the great "Decimalisation" scandal? They were going to decimalise all joint regimental names: 17/21 Lancers were going to be called the 0.8's, the 16/5 Hussars the 3.2's and so on. The lead-up was just as cleverly done as the depersonalisation one of this year, but quickly became evident that it was a wind-up - in classic squaddie fashion.

I'm surprised that any squaddie fell for it, to be honest.
I don't remember the 'decimilasation' directly. However, in an April Edition of Soldier they did a run down of their gags, and included it. The timing of the gag was just as decimalisation was coming in to the UK, so was quite a stir at the time.

It may be hard for us to understand (now that we have only one unit with such a title left (9/12 Lancers)) the outrage, in conjuction with the loss of the £/s/d. IIRC the Cav were particularly outraged with lots of semi-dead Retired Majors and what not stirred in to action, picking up pens and hurling them in the direction of Soldier.

This April, I suppose, they can chalk up to a similar mix of a good article with a contempory issue. Let's face it we wouldn't be surprised if EVERY rank, formation and Regiment in the Armed Forces was destroyed for some politico to have as their legacy. We could have 'Co-workers' for Privates and 'Co-workers with enhanced/greater/greatest responsibilities' for the various NCO,SNCO and Officer ranks. Works group would replace Regimental and Bn levels, with collection of Works groups for Brigade and Infantry would be called 'Robust Interaction Interface'; killing would be right out though.

Our genderfree, rank removed Nutopia would be HERE at last!!!