Army gays banned from wearing uniform at mass mince.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Hat20, Jun 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All men and women in the Army were told yesterday that they are banned from wearing their uniform or any other article of clothing that could identify them as soldiers if they wish to attend a Gay Pride march at the end of next week.
    The strict edict has been issued by General Sir Richard Dannatt, the Chief of the General Staff. He has also forbidden any recruiting. The decision comes after a highly sensitive internal debate between the three Service chiefs over whether gay and lesbian members of the Armed Forces should be allowed openly to participate in the event, in London on June 30.
    As The Times reported on Saturday, Admiral Sir Jonathon Band, the First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff, has given his blessing to gay sailors marching in uniform. There were sailors in uniform at last year’s event. Seems the man is putting his foot down where many fear to tread.
    Web Page Name
  2. Fantastic call by the CGS. It has been the stereotype of the navy for a long time that they are shirt lifters, and that is a view the army could do without. Just because it's legal now, doesn't make it right.

*Edit for dyslexic fingers*
  3. Or compulsory.
  4. Simple. I can wear my uniform to a football match. So why should it be any difference.

Good thread title Hat
  5. Buggery is wrong, even in the Andrew
  6. The same wisdom that allowed RN personnel to sell their stories to the press recently?
  7. For something that is still essentially a political hot-potato, I believe that a purple policy decision would have been the right move as the Minister of Defence is ultimately responsible and accountable for the decisions made by the defence chiefs. Such divided policies leave the door open to legal challenges and expensive public inquiries.
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Good call by Dannat. As already said, the Navy is full of mincers, and without them, the fleet would cease to operate; but this is not the case with the army!!
  9. Good call on not actively encouraging it - there's no point. However, there are more important things in life than insulting homosexuals and displaying intolerance towards their life-style.

Perhaps when serving soldiers can wear their uniform in public with pride rather than having to cover up then they can wear uniform at a parade. Until that point it's double standards.
  10. Quite right too. If the fudgenudgers, cupcakes, rugmunchers, transgender weirdos and assorted practicioners of abominable, ungodly acts want to mince about in uniforms, they should stick to something like this, that way, the rest of us can give them a wide berth.
    And no, thats not a naval euphemism.

11. Having spent 22 years in RMP, mainly with SIB, I can assure you that there are far more gays at all levels in the Army than you would care to know.
  12. I would love to go on a BNP march in uniform, but funnily enough it is not allowed. So why should these mincers be allowed to march in uniform?
  13. How do you know?? Is that what the RMP and SIB do? Search for guys and bum them all?
  14. Regardless if homosexual or hetrosexual, the army bans wearing uniform at any event so why make any fuzz about it ?
  15. Exactly, I cant wear uniform to any event I fancy, i would need permission or be there in an official capacity. Has there been any backlash yet?