Army - First Bird Flu Casualty

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by TangoZeroAlpha, Nov 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought this was a pi-ss taker but I spoke to the QM personally. It seems....

"Yeah... my demand for "Hackles" (for use with Headress, Irish Bonnet (Caubeen)) has been denied because they come from Pakistan and because they are made from "bird feathers" they cannot be purchased and imported into the UK because of the fear of bringing "Bird Flu" into the UK."

Of course the conversation then crashed into well informed debate on local sourcing/purchase!!

But it begs the question... what about the Black Watch, RRF etc who also wear hackles...

2. This has to be a unine take, seriously!!!!!!!!
  3. Nope!

Its very serious.

So much so that the QM has gone to the Regt Sec to withdraw stocks from the PRI so they can be held as a contingency!!

All very serious this bird flu!!

4. I'm in the angling trade & there's been a shortage of male bird(bleedin' swear filter) hackles & other assorted bits of tweeter for more than a year due to import restrictions.
    Just glad salmon flies are more fur than feather :wink:
  5. TZA is that the issue hackle (i.e the one that stands out at right angle on being removed from it's tube) or the non issue ones (i.e the hackles that most prefer to wear as they appear to have better bearing)?

Or are they both from the same flu ridden birds just made differently?

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Does this mean that FAS can't go ahead 'cos the correct feathers (white in the case of the Army Board!) can't be produced for the new uniform, or will all Bns of RRS be sent to 'hard hat' locations where hackles will not be permitted?
  7. I'm sure if the Paddies can smuggle heavy weaponary and explosives into the Province a few bird feathers shouldn't be a problem!?
  8. BBC Friday, 4 November 2005, 11:16 GMT

"New bird flu outbreaks hit Asia"

Er no honest it never went away.
  9. BBC Friday, 4 November 2005, 11:16 GMT

"New bird flu outbreaks hit Asia"

Er no honest it never went away.
  10. Jon - Say it one more time!
  11. I was having a drink with an ex army pilot (HM Forces) last night and he lives in the sticks.
    Please beleive me it hasn't gone away.
    I remember the effect of SARs out here and how international travel was affected.
    The main tourist season here is now just starting. Big Bucks, need one say more ?
  12. All of these flu begin in Asia it seems, usually are called Asian Flu, and often originate with birds or animals.
    Are we now calling it "Bird" flu to be PC?

So far though, despite all the fuss about this latest "Bird" flu, and talk of spending Billions to prevent it, I've heard that so far it has not proven to be transmittable to humans.
  13. I think I might have got bird flu but Mrs Lairdx says it's just ordinary flu. Still nothing a jar of Lairdx fine Rum pickled onions won't sort out.
  14. Glad you all enjoyed my joke. Theres now't onest made it all up I'll now confin myslf ta the Naffi, Bird Flue my sweet ass.
  15. You and all your fine feathered friends :lol: